Chicago Drafts RB David Montgomery

Ty21

1 hour ago, yomyyo said:

Watching this video, I was more impressed with Butler...

To be fair, the OL he's going to run behind here is astronomically better than the line he ran behind in Iowa.

And to be clear, I don't just mean that he's now running behind NFL level blockers, I mean, his OL in Iowa was absolutely putrid compared to the level of competition they where against. Even an "average" level offensive line would be a massive upgrade to him, and I think ours is actually moderately-comfortably above average for the league.  He could quite legitimately end up being a significantly better pro than collegiate player, just from having an actual offensive line doing something crazy, like you know, actually blocking people occasionally.

• Like 1

If it looks, smells and sounds like a duck then it's a duck...

You have to love the fact Pace & Nagy haven't tried to act the smartest guys in the NFL and get too fancy...they have basically seen a kid who in terms of skill set is like Kareem Hunt who will be a leader instead of a distraction and figured it has worked in the past in this offence so why not replicate it? I don't think anyone can get mad at that thinking when you look at the rest of the roster and see no massive holes...

I personally would have still valued a TE a bit more but I think the board still looks pretty decent going into 4th to get a player at a different position who can be a day 1 contributor at several other spots.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You have to love the fact Pace & Nagy haven't tried to act the smartest guys in the NFL and get too fancy...they have basically seen a kid who in terms of skill set is like Kareem Hunt who will be a leader instead of a distraction and figured it has worked in the past in this offence so why not replicate it? I don't think anyone can get mad at that thinking when you look at the rest of the roster and see no massive holes...

I personally would have still valued a TE a bit more but I think the board still looks pretty decent going into 4th to get a player at a different position who can be a day 1 contributor at several other spots.

It seems they find the guys they want when they can, and if they feel the guy can be a star then they will trade up for them. The moves make sense even if you don't love them (not talking about Montgomery, we all have a pick we weren't crazy about at some point). Then he supplements with FA to prevent holes. 

It's a calculated manner he works in. Very content to have him here.

On a side note, who was it that mocked Pace all the time a while back, calling him the 'Boy Wonder?' Lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Well thought out and well said Mike. Both seem to have an approach that says let's just get this job done.

10 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

So the Bills were taking this guy right?

Dunno for sure.  They took Singletary with the next pick so it might be safe to assume both were on their board just like both were on ours.

It seems like Pace wanted his pick first so he could take the higher ranked more versatile back and I'll admit I never thought Montgomery would fall that far. 

He has much of the same elusiveness and quickness.  Lacks long speed like Singletary and he's nearly 20lbs heavier and taller but also has a stocky build and is a willing blocker.  I think Nagy and Pace would have settled for Singletary but they didn't have to.

Edited by soulman

I have a personal different vision for offense, I want spread, space and speed mismatches from backfield.  From that standpoint I don't like the pick.  I'd rather have a Hill or Love and have got Warring or Winnovich with that trade up.

I am not the coach though, Pace is in room with Nagy and this is guy they felt could help the most.   They are probably right and I am wrong.  A good RB helps a team so much, they touch the ball second most usually after the QB. They are devalued simply because of depth of similar players at position and emergence of so many guys in later rounds. I think people who think position itself is unimportant are badly mistaken. 

This is 2nd best every down back in entire draft and Bears had just one of those guys who is a career back up.  So I get it.  I just thought we were going more edgy. 

I believe Pace and Nagy see Hunt in this guy as they looked really similar in college. If we get a Hunt clone and he perfroms like Hunt did his rookie year obviously that's a homerun. 

• Like 1

I think that Montgomery makes sense, as much as I wanted to see more speed and explosion.

He can do what Howard did in terms of

-Hard yards

-Short yardage

-Pass Blocking

But he adds more in the passing game on 1st and 2nd down.

It is great to have all fast guys, but when you need someone to grind yards and to pick up a 245lbs LB who is blitzing, you need a guy like Montgomery.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think that Montgomery makes sense, as much as I wanted to see more speed and explosion.

He can do what Howard did in terms of

-Hard yards

-Short yardage

-Pass Blocking

But he adds more in the passing game on 1st and 2nd down.

It is great to have all fast guys, but when you need someone to grind yards and to pick up a 245lbs LB who is blitzing, you need a guy like Montgomery.

I've said it before but I just don't see the comparison between Howard and Montgomery...Howard was a powerful one cut and go back...Montgomery is far more well rounded...his feet are far quicker in the hole and he can create far more for himself than Howard ever could...I think with Cohen & Patterson we have the explosive guys...Montgomery and Davis are more well rounded do it all types who can both run inside and out as well as catch the ball and be quality in pass pro...Montgomery could really be a Hunt type for us but with character and work ethic.

42 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I've said it before but I just don't see the comparison between Howard and Montgomery...Howard was a powerful one cut and go back...Montgomery is far more well rounded...his feet are far quicker in the hole and he can create far more for himself than Howard ever could...I think with Cohen & Patterson we have the explosive guys...Montgomery and Davis are more well rounded do it all types who can both run inside and out as well as catch the ball and be quality in pass pro...Montgomery could really be a Hunt type for us but with character and work ethic.

The more I watch of Montgomery the more I like. As I watch he doesn’t have breakaway speed but he also doesn’t get caught from behind. Gimme a primary back who routinely gets runs in that 8-15 yard range all day. His elusiveness is a thing, and the Hunt comps are easy to see. 

So frickin’ jacked about this pick. Was the first guy I wanted at RB back in January and thought we had no realistic shot at him.