Thoughts on Josh Rosen?

MightyRx

It’s Love/Hate for me.

Getting Deiter in the 3rd helps.  Miami really needed to address the OL and they got a couple good ones. 

Im not sure Rosen makes Miami immediately that much better.  Still hoping for a 3-13 or 4-12 type of a year to secure a top pick.  IF Rosen ends up showing enough promise in 2019, you may be able to flip a Top 3 pick next year to a team willing to mortgage multiple 1sts for Tua, Fromm or Herbert.  This is why I love this pick.  

Still think a second was steep to pay when AZ had no leverage.  Hoping Rosen is the guy.  Most think he would have been Top Rated QB in this class.  I’m just glad we didn’t take Haskins. 

Edited by Rgossett07

The cost of acquisition was very, very small when taken into consideration with the Saints trade.  The net essentially was a 4th rounder and a 5th rounder in 2019 for a top 10 overall pick in 2018, a 2019 6th rounder and the deferring of a 2nd round pick for a year.  The value was tremendous, and quite frankly, something we aren't used to seeing as Dolphins fans.  

I'm on the record as a big proponent of Rosen as a player.  He was the best passer in the draft last year.  But I'm still concerned about his potential protection up front for the Fins in 2019.  Tunsil is great, but he's the only one you can count on.  Dieter's film looks great but he's a rookie.  Kilgore was up and down.  Jesse Davis could be a solid replacement at RT for James, or he could flounder.  And then RG will be whoever sucks the least of Isaac Asiata/Chris Reed/Michael Dunn or any of the UDFAs.  If they give Rosen any kind of time to work, he will be fine.  There is too much talent for it not to.  If they don't give him any time, I suspect we will see much of the same that we saw last season in Arizona.

I think the Dolphins made the best move in the entire draft when they traded for Josh Rosen.  He only cost you the 62nd overall pick and Arizona will be paying 70% of his salary for the next three years.  Some people think you missed out on Haskins by going after Rosen, but who knows?  Rosen could turn out to be a lot better than Haskins or any of the QB's in this year's draft when all is said and done.  It was a move that came with extremely high reward potential with very little risk.  A no-brainer if you ask me.  Great move!

• Like 1

If he fixes your QB situation for he next 10+ years, you won't care about how much it cost because you'll be competitive every season and that's what matters most. But value wise, I agree, that was a great trade for the Dolphins.

I love the trade. Rosen was my 2nd graded QB last season, and that was only because Baker had crazy mobility. Rosen has all the arm talent you can ask for. His problem, from college to now was his supposed lack of passion. If you listen to any of his recent interviews, he admits that he was overwhelmed last year. The pressure got to him. He comes to Miami with new lease on life. All he is being asked to do is to compete. Flores explained to him his philosophy that every person has to earn their job. During his press conference Rosen said that this was like being able to be drafted again, and he is thankful for the opportunity. Rosen is better than Tannehill in every way except athletic ability. Unlike last year with the Cardinals, Rosen is working with a top notch staff. He said that he has already started watching film with Caldwell, O,Shea, an Marino. I don't think any miracles are going to happen, in fact, I think that Fitzpatrick will be the starter at first. But I hope that towards he end of the season when the offense and defense get settled, that Rosen will be the QB, and we can use those picks we have to draft a special talent.

You guys would be nuts to want to tank now that you have a potential franchise QB. Best bet would be to get him weapons and offensive linemen. 

Rosen has an absolute dime of a pass, if you haven't watched much. 

This will help as well...some stats and what-not

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-day-2-trade-sends-second-year-qb-josh-rosen-to-the-miami-dolphins

Getting the 2nd rounder next year makes it all worthwhile, provided that we don't somehow win 6 or 7 games and miss out on a franchise QB next year.

Rosen could be a quality backup to Tua or Fromm.  I'd be thrilled with our QB situation if that were to happen.

11 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Getting the 2nd rounder next year makes it all worthwhile, provided that we don't somehow win 6 or 7 games and miss out on a franchise QB next year.

Rosen could be a quality backup to Tua or Fromm.  I'd be thrilled with our QB situation if that were to happen.

I'd be more thrilled if Rosen showed that he is the QBOTF and we still only won 2 game or so, securing the #1 pick.  We could then trade it for a fortune in draft capital to a team wanting Tua.