Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soflbillsfan

Now what....

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Hughes, Shady, Gore, Lawson, Lorenzo (retiring), Jordan Phillips and haushka are free agents next year. Spain Waddle and Ej Gaines signed 1 year deals who can all be back if they are worth it. So realistically depending on how the oline lines up your losing a LG, on def your losing Hughes and shaq projected starters this year, kicker, and SLB. Your telling me you cant fill those holes with 50+ mil? 

To me if the deal was available i say take it and you will have upgraded your defense who is coming off a year that ranks them in 2nd against the run 1st against the pass. It will then fix the greatest weakness on the defense which ranked 26th in the league with sacks.

On paper it makes a lot of sense. Most the guys you listed likely won't be back regardless of whether Clowney is here. Though I wouldn't dismiss the notion of replacing a LG, SLB and a K as being easy to do simply because we have the money to do so. 

The big thing that Beane and co are likely looking at is potentially having to pay Foster next year, Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins the year after while having Tre on a 5th year option and then Allen and Edmunds in 2022 on 5th year options or new deals. 

Seems like a lifetime away but when calculating a 100m contract hat Clowney likely is looking for, these are the things that will come up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

On paper it makes a lot of sense. Most the guys you listed likely won't be back regardless of whether Clowney is here. Though I wouldn't dismiss the notion of replacing a LG, SLB and a K as being easy to do simply because we have the money to do so. 

The big thing that Beane and co are likely looking at is potentially having to pay Foster next year, Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins the year after while having Tre on a 5th year option and then Allen and Edmunds in 2022 on 5th year options or new deals. 

Seems like a lifetime away but when calculating a 100m contract hat Clowney likely is looking for, these are the things that will come up. 

Foster will get the ERFA as he will be in the league 2 years and beane can hold him to this up to 3 years in the league, both dawkins and zay have 2 years left, and you mention allen and edmunds contracts in 3 years with 5th years option in 4...Every contract is different but from the looks of every contract beane has made the guarantees are front loaded. With clowney you give him 5 years 100 mil with the 44 mil in guarantees he would likely get would be paid with in the 1st 2 years, so he can either be extended at the time they need money or they can move on from him. The bills need top end talent and he is an ideal candidate and is perfect time to set it up now before they have to pay Allen if he is the guy 4 years from now. Being ranked 26th in sacks last year is horrible and with McDermotts approach of not blitzing you need the front 4 to bring as much pressure as possible to give the DBs an opportunity to make a play, if there is no pressure then the qb is going to sit back there all day and make a pass. For example Sam Darnold's last drive against the bills he was running from sideline to sideline giving himself time to find an open receiver which eventually one did and they ended up scoring the td to win the game. With clowney opposite to hughes this would close in on the outside with Oliver penetrating the middle. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 1:59 PM, soflbillsfan said:

both dawkins and zay have 2 years left, and you mention allen and edmunds contracts in 3 years with 5th years option in 4...

This time next year we'll have to make a decision on Tre White (not really a decision) and Zay, Dawkins and Matt Milano will be going into the final year of their deals. The Bills could potentially have to pay a franchise LT and WR. Unlikely on Jones but still the potential. 

What I meant by Allen and Edmunds is that in 2021 the Bills will have to decide on the 5th year option. They'll still be under contract for the 2021 season but they could be looking to get long term deals done instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what kind of roster moves the Bills are going to make in the wake of that exceptional draft, but I'll tell you this: looking at your schedule this year on one hand and what your team will be capable of on the other, I'd honestly be surprised if they picked up less than nine wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, y*so*blu said:

I don't know what kind of roster moves the Bills are going to make in the wake of that exceptional draft, but I'll tell you this: looking at your schedule this year on one hand and what your team will be capable of on the other, I'd honestly be surprised if they picked up less than nine wins.

Appreciate the kind words. Always feels good seeing an outsider have positive thoughts on the team. Though it certainly doesn't help my bias haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ansah signed with the Seahawks so that option is off the table

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zay Jones is in a make it or break it year.

Needs to be more consistent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Zay Jones is in a make it or break it year.

Needs to be more consistent

The end of the year when Allen started playing well so did Zay. I don't think that was coincidence. Gonna be interesting to see who are starting recievers will be. Beasley will be in slot no question. Then our outside recievers between Foster, Brown, and Zay. They are all so even I don't know who will start. I think Foster offers most potential and fits Allen's strengths

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

We gotta figure out how to get Clowney without breaking the bank.

And Kyle Rudolph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

We gotta figure out how to get Clowney without breaking the bank.

My guess would be a 2020 1st and a 100+ million dollar contract extension

I just dont see Houston dealing him for anything less than a 1st

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, Trentwannabe said:

And Kyle Rudolph.

You have Dawson Knox you don’t need Rudolph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Counselor said:

You have Dawson Knox you don’t need Rudolph

I want both. 

I'm meh on Croom and don't trust Kroft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

We gotta figure out how to get Clowney without breaking the bank.

Two 2nds is my max offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×