> 2020 Draft Prospect Thread <

TheRealMcCoy

Precursor: New offensive coaches, who knows what they want to see from the WR position.  

BUT...

Wait are we really using 1v1s to say someone has "route running chops"? 

1v1s are heavily favored for the WR, this coming from a former collegiate WR. 

Also, the Eagles offens under DP thus far has never given WRs the flexibility to use 2nd & 3rd hesitations/counters that you predominately see in 1vs1s 

I like Mims in the bottom of 1 or later to battle (ultimately supplant) JJ. Can he play in the slot sure, does he have enough game quickness probably not but Michael Thomas excels in the slot. 

1 minute ago, DeSean Jackson said:

And you realize, that’s at a PRO level and not college.... you expect 30% to improve on a harder level then what Baylor played? 

You also realize improved QB play will help lower that number as well? Better throws and making a read earlier will help to improve that number. Again, I've seen Mims gain separation and the QB be late only to create the contested situations.

Also you said that I wouldnt find anyone close to 30, I did and you had another one in the chamber. I respect commitment to a bit

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Precursor: New offensive coaches, who knows what they want to see from the WR position.  

BUT...

Wait are we really using 1v1s to say someone has "route running chops"? 

1v1s are heavily favored for the WR, this coming from a former collegiate WR. 

Also, the Eagles offens under DP thus far has never given WRs the flexibility to use 2nd & 3rd hesitations/counters that you predominately see in 1vs1s 

I like Mims in the bottom of 1 or later to battle (ultimately supplant) JJ. Can he play in the slot sure, does he have enough game quickness probably not but Michael Thomas excels in the slot. 

It shows quick feet, also one one ones for receivers are far better barometers than for offensive and defensive lineman, but we eat them up...

2 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

It shows quick feet, also one one ones for receivers are far better barometers than for offensive and defensive lineman, but we eat them up...

Yes its supposed to demonstrate how well WRs get in/out of breaks vs m-coverage. How well do they setup routes, etc. DBs are at a disadvantage. 

So, I don't have to tell you....You take the 1v1s with a grain of salt. You don't throw the entire game film eval out the window because he does well in 1v1s. You look at what fundamental deficiencies he may have when running routes and cross reference that with the film. 

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

Yes its supposed to demonstrate how well WRs get in/out of breaks vs m-coverage. How well do they setup routes, etc. DBs are at a disadvantage. 

So, I don't have to tell you....You take the 1v1s with a grain of salt. You don't throw the entire game film eval out the window because he does well in 1v1s. You look at what fundamental deficiencies he may have when running routes and cross reference that with the film. 

So it demonstrates quick feet and ability tio get in and out of breaks, and beating press big things in route tini ng but we're also supposed to take it with a grain of salt? 

EDIT

Also please watch the film then, dude shows ability to win off the line. He ran a limited route tree at Baylor but he looked great running those routes he didn't run at Baylor all offseason

Edited by EaglesFan5-36-81

On 4/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, Jeezla said:

Uh, no. Pittman is a poor mans Gandy-Golden. His routes are crap, his feet are average at best (add those two up, you get no separation in the NFL), and being a pac-12 WR, he's going to struggle mightily against press coverage. Taking Pittman is basically re-drafting JJ. Pac-12 WR's and CB's are usually fools gold.

Yea, but you also compared Jefferson to freakin' Jordan Matthews which is an all-time lazy comp if I have ever seen one... His routes are not crap nor is his release. You also failed to mention how strong he is. I think he has potential to be solid X or Z in NFL.

38 minutes ago, Wentz you dog you said:

Yea, but you also compared Jefferson to freakin' Jordan Matthews which is an all-time lazy comp if I have ever seen one... His routes are not crap nor is his release. You also failed to mention how strong he is. I think he has potential to be solid X or Z in NFL.

It's not lazy if it ends up being true.

Pittman's routes are crap. He put up 13 bench reps. He's super strong. Gandy-Golden had 22 reps btw.

Edited by Jeezla

Lol I seriously just watched a Mims highlight (obviously it's a highlight reel but if you watch games and video breakdowns you also see it), 2 times hes been wide open, and another 3 times his QB either underthew the football or was late. I'm 1:20 into a 6 min video proving my point that contestedbcatch situations can be brought on by poor QB play. How much of Jefferson's 10% versus Mims 30% is a result of Mims playing outside and Jefferson playing inside, and how much of it is the difference between Joe Burrow and Charlie Brewer.

That's the problem with blindly using a statistic without context. You just stand on this ridiculous narrative without taking in other variables. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

It's not lazy if it ends up being true.

Pittman's routes are crap. He put up 13 bench reps. He's super strong. Gandy-Golden had 22 reps btw.

Bench press, especially for reps is probably a poor test for strength,  it's more endurance at that point. Squat and deadlift are better measures of pure strength. And even then strength would be testing for maxes would be a better test. Also length has a big deal to do with it, for example, I'm 5'9 180 and I've benched 225for a dozen before, that said structurally I'm built better for it because my arms are shorter and it's a greater distance that weight has to travel off his chest, its a disadvantage for sure.

With that said I like AGG more than Pittman as well.

26 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Bench press, especially for reps is probably a poor test for strength,  it's more endurance at that point. Squat and deadlift are better measures of pure strength. And even then strength would be testing for maxes would be a better test. Also length has a big deal to do with it, for example, I'm 5'9 180 and I've benched 225for a dozen before, that said structurally I'm built better for it because my arms are shorter and it's a greater distance that weight has to travel off his chest, its a disadvantage for sure.

With that said I like AGG more than Pittman as well.

I don't disagree, but bench is the only weight based test they do at the combine, so it's all we really have to go on, and Pittman's 32 1/2" arms are just slightly above average length, I'd say. 33 1/2" or above is long, imo. Mine are 34 1/8", but I'm like 6'3 3/4".

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1