2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get the Graham angst.  I do.  He's not worth the money, but it is money we needed to spend on that position this year due to the structure of the contract.  He's fine.

Our QB has missed plenty.  But it isn't all his fault.  What if half those Jones TD rushes were simply passes?  Rodgers QBR goes way up and we aren't really singing the same song.

To give ARod credit, he's been fine with handing the ball off at the goal line and taking the rushing score.  I haven't heard him talk negatively about that, so that there is a nice "win".

It's not just money though.  He's not a very good football player.  We're going to agree to disagree about his blocking, I don't think it's a myth.  He drops balls he shouldn't drop (2 TDs against Philly, TD against Detroit) and he can't run.  How many times this year have we thrown the ball to Graham in a wide open flat needing 5 or 6 yards for the first only for him to come up a yards or 2 short because he runs like an offensive lineman and is a pansy when it comes to any sort of contact?  That's a huge gainer for a guy like Noah Fant and Graham can't even get a first down.  Graham used to be a YAC machine and now he borders on useless with the ball in his hands.  

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Holy crap what a hold by Marcedes lol. How did they miss that?

Graham was meh, not good. It's a 6 yard gain though so again, why do we care?

Because it's a possible TD (best case) or a huge gainer (worst case) if Graham isn't a pansy.  

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're getting on Tight Ends for not reaching Landon Collins now?

Damn

See, this is what I'm talking about.  Chicken **** excuses for every single player outside of #12.  If it's not #12, you have absolutely no interest in holding them accountable for their play.

In your eyes I'm sure that's another great success when in reality Graham was in position to make the block to spring the huge play and missed badly.  

Edited by SSG

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

Because it's a possible TD (best case) or a huge gainer (worst case) if Graham isn't a pansy.  

Pansy? Well now your opinions have gone from agenda based to worthless. Guy caught passes from Aaron Rodgers last year with a broken thumb. I played TE in college, reaching DBs is hard, they are fast, as a TE most times you are not. Let's try context.

Prototype fake internet tough guy.

• Like 2

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Pansy? Well now your opinions have gone from agenda based to worthless. Guy caught passes from Aaron Rodgers last year with a broken thumb. I played TE in college, reaching DBs is hard, they are fast, as a TE most times you are not. Let's try context.

Prototype fake internet tough guy.

No more worthless than making an excuse for a player after every single bad play.  

I'm neither fake, nor an internet tough guy.  I call it like I see it and Graham got trucked by a guy that he out weighs by 30 or 40 lbs.  I understand your take, accountability isn't for everyone.  It will always be easier to make an excuse or minimize the damage which you have done both of in back to back posts.  

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

No more worthless than making an excuse for a player after every single bad play.  

I'm neither fake, nor an internet tough guy.  I call it like I see it and Graham got trucked by a guy that he out weighs by 30 or 40 lbs.  I understand your take, accountability isn't for everyone.  It will always be easier to make an excuse or minimize the damage which you have done both of in back to back posts.  

You do understand that the reach block you're referring to occurs successfully on maybe 10-20% of run plays?? Again context. Stop demanding accountability for plays that go beyond the norm. If it was normal for the playside TE to wall off the safety that play would average 10+ YPC. Guarantee you Graham did not get downgraded for that.

10 minutes ago, SSG said:

He got "trucked"...Are we all watching the same play? You must play a really weird version of Madden. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No.  But I also don't think that our TE position is the root of our offensive issues.

Agreed. As well as Jenkins has played, he's got a pff score of 64.8, Linsley's marginally better at 65, and Billy Turner's at 62.5. That doesn't cut it and Billy Turner has been a let down IMHO. Though Bulaga has the highest grade(75) of the bunch, we still need to be thinking about his replacement; especially given that the OT field is far superior to that of the TE field. Plus, we don't know what we have in Sternberger just yet. As for Albert Okwuegbunam, he's basically Richard Rodgers 2.0; only he can block and patrol the middle of the field relatively well. I'm not sold on him. 

I think some of you need to realize that this is another draft that we will have to devote to picks that aren't sexy like IDL, OT, and ILB. Sure, I can see us grabbing that shorter, shiftier WR compared to what we currently have on hand, but I seriously doubt TE will be a selection unless we really like someone on Day 3. Of course, Gute tipped his cards with Sternberger so if there's a prospect that we really like at TE or WR, we'll probably grab them Day 2 like we did with Sternberger.

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Agreed. As well as Jenkins has played, he's got a pff score of 64.8, Linsley's marginally better at 65, and Billy Turner's at 62.5. That doesn't cut it and Billy Turner has been a let down IMHO. Though Bulaga has the highest grade(75) of the bunch, we still need to be thinking about his replacement; especially given that the OT field is far superior to that of the TE field. Plus, we don't know what we have in Sternberger just yet. As for Albert Okwuegbunam, he's basically Richard Rodgers 2.0; only he can block and patrol the middle of the field relatively well. I'm not sold on him. 

I think some of you need to realize that this is another draft that we will have to devote to picks that aren't sexy like IDL, OT, and ILB. Sure, I can see us grabbing that shorter, shiftier WR compared to what we currently have on hand, but I seriously doubt TE will be a selection unless we really like someone on Day 3. Of course, Gute tipped his cards with Sternberger so if there's a prospect that we really like at TE or WR, we'll probably grab them Day 2 like we did with Sternberger.

Amongst LG’s, PFF has Jenkins at #14 overall grade and #8 in pass blocking. Their NFL OL grades are pretty low this year in general, so the absolute number doesn’t really mean much. Amongst C’s, they have Linsley at #9 overall and #9 in pass blocking. Most OL have 1 or more weak spots like Turner. Overall, GB’s line has been fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Amongst LG’s, PFF has Jenkins at #14 overall grade and #8 in pass blocking. Their NFL OL grades are pretty low this year in general, so the absolute number doesn’t really mean much. Amongst C’s, they have Linsley at #9 overall and #9 in pass blocking. Most OL have 1 or more weak spots like Turner. Overall, GB’s line has been fine.

I noticed Linsley's numbers were high where it counted and was a bit surprised that Jenkins was a bit lower, but you have to admit that Billy Turner has been rather mediocre and that we could do a bit better there.

9 hours ago, Joe said:

I noticed Linsley's numbers were high where it counted and was a bit surprised that Jenkins was a bit lower, but you have to admit that Billy Turner has been rather mediocre and that we could do a bit better there.

I think Turner is worse than mediocre, especially for the price tag. I’m just saying that practically every OL in the league has at least 1 weak spot like that. Many have more than 1. 

I don’t think the offensive struggles have anything to do with the OL. Only reason they would invest more draft capital in it is that Bulaga’s contract is about to be up and the following year, Bak & Linsley’s will be up.

19 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Great post.  I was going to point out that PFF scores look bad because we tend to look at a 60's number as "bad".  But it isn't.  Not in how they look at guards.