2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

Just now, Leader said:

Please do me the favor and copy/paste the comment from me wherein I say rookie TEs should produce at AllPro levels their first year?
I've continually used the word "contribute" and I consider the stats provided evidence the players cited are doing just that. You dont think so? Fine. Point noted. As I said, I wouldnt mind having that level of rookie "non-production" on our team right now.

Lol.  Jason Witten is 37 years old and has more yards, more receptions and the same number of touchdowns as all those rookies. 
Darren Waller - 6th round pick - 27 years old - signed for 3.3 million dollars as a free agent this year.

And using Knox.  Lol. 

Knox is 35th in the league in receptions.
23rd in the league in yards.
25th in touchdowns.

This is also assuming Rodgers would throw the ball to any of them. 

To put it into perspective, the most targets EVER in Aaron's career towards a TE was 92.  That was to Finley in 2011.  You're trusting Rodgers to give a rookie 58 looks like Fant has gotten? 

Finley was targeted 14 times as a rookie.
Richard Rodgers was targeted 30 times as a rookie (he was the starter)
Jared Cook in his first and only year with Rodgers was targeted only 55 times.  His lowest since his second year as a pro.

Edited by Outpost31

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Well....based on the (supposed) TE development cycle - next year's TE investment is 2021's return on investment.
Not saying an infusion of talent at the position isnt (or wont be) necessary....just saying.

Tonyan/Sternberger...or Sternberger/Tonyan is looking like our TE pairing next year.

I'm starting to like what those two can do together.  Been a good year for Tonyan in terms of getting NFL reps.  I'm really rooting for Jace, too, to be that move type TE.  

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm starting to like what those two can do together.  Been a good year for Tonyan in terms of getting NFL reps.  I'm really rooting for Jace, too, to be that move type TE.  

Gotta hope right? They're our future at this point.

Tonyan's 2019 got screwed up by that hip injury. Hopefully he can kick in the remainder of the year.
Sternberger racked up his first career target yesterday. Not sure what his stat count was...but thats an improvement eh? :)

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Gotta hope right? They're our future at this point.

Tonyan's 2019 got screwed up by that hip injury. Hopefully he can kick in the remainder of the year.
Sternberger racked up his first career target yesterday. Not sure what his stat count was...but thats an improvement eh? :)

I think that is a position where you can hope that there is enough talent in that room now to sustain a future at the position.

I thought everybody understood that tight end was the slowest developing position in football (including QB).  The problem with the Packers at TE is that they didn't really invest much in the position over the years, not that they didn't have anybody worth a darn.

This is not a good TE class, FWIW.  I wouldn't take anybody before that day 3 crapshoot range.

I don't understand what y'all are arguing about.

I don't favor spending a high pick on TE, but I have to feel they move on from Jimmy Graham to free up money to fix other spots.  If you can get a rookie that can produce 30 yds per game on average with a late day 2 or day 3 pick, then you have replaced Jimmy's production and freed up 8 million in cap space.  At worst, you could get some journeyman FA that could produce rookie level production for a lot less than we save on releasing JG.

I was in favor of keeping JG this year, but at this point releasing him and Lane Taylor get us the capital necessary to go out and improve the roster without losing critical production, and not be as dependent on the draft lottery.

10 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I thought everybody understood that tight end was the slowest developing position in football (including QB).  The problem with the Packers at TE is that they didn't really invest much in the position over the years, not that they didn't have anybody worth a darn.

This is not a good TE class, FWIW.  I wouldn't take anybody before that day 3 crapshoot range.

Albert Okwuegbunam is still pretty good.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I have a hard time believing that production wise, next year with Tonyan/Jace the production will at least equal this year's tandem of Tonyan/Graham.  And I honestly would mind if Lewis came back again.

Injuries to Tonyan have pretty much cancelled out this portion of the equation.

The numbers are all JGs: 13 games / 32 receptions / 48 targets / 382 yards / 11.9 avg / 3 TDs / 19 first downs. 

Tonyan YTD: 8 games / 7 receptions / 10 targets / 86 yards / 12.3 avg / 1 TD / 4 first downs. 

Perhaps Tonyan is able to pick it up in the remaining games and project favorably for 2020. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I have a hard time believing that production wise, next year with Tonyan/Jace the production will at least equal this year's tandem of Tonyan/Graham.  And I honestly would mind if Lewis came back again.

That's how I feel.  Jimmy Graham hurts this offense far more than he helps it.  He's dropped more TDs than he's caught this year and he's not all that great of a fit.  He's absolutely disgusting as a blocker and is almost useless in the flats.  How many times this year have we seen him get the ball in a wide open flats needing 4 or 5 yards and he's not able to get it?  

While I'd prefer to make another draft investment into the position (though I'm not sure that's in the cards given our other holes), I could live with Lewis/ Tonyan/ Jace next year.  Frankly, I'm not sure Graham is any sort of upgrade over Lewis anymore as a receiver given his inability to run.  Probably close to a wash as a receiver without Lewis being a worthless tackling dummy when it comes to blocking.  

We can't afford to continue to pay Graham like he's a super star when he's not any better than a replacement level player.  

Edited by SSG

22 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's how I feel.  Jimmy Graham hurts this offense far more than he helps it.  He's dropped more TDs than he's caught this year and he's not all that great of a fit.  He's absolutely disgusting as a blocker and is almost useless in the flats.  How many times this year have we seen him get the ball in a wide open flats needing 4 or 5 yards and he's not able to get it?  

While I'd prefer to make another draft investment into the position (though I'm not sure that's in the cards given our other holes), I could live with Lewis/ Tonyan/ Jace next year.  Frankly, I'm not sure Graham is any sort of upgrade over Lewis anymore as a receiver given his inability to run.  Probably close to a wash as a receiver without Lewis being a worthless tackling dummy when it comes to blocking.  

We can't afford to continue to pay Graham like he's a super star when he's not any better than a replacement level player.  

Graham isn't a worthless blocker. He's been just fine. Graham being a worthless blocker has been more meme than fact for like 6 years now.

Graham is miles better as a receiver than Lewis who genuinely is worthless as a receiver unless the linebacker assigned to cover him bites hard on play action. 

Graham falls into the same problem as MVS, they're big play guys with a QB who doesn't like to throw to them and is now terrible on the big play.