2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm resigning myself to Bulaga being gone and our first round pick being an OT. Austin Jackson seems really likely to me. 

That may be a steal if he there.

Love that pick and I’d have to see a crazy draft in front of me to find a better one. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Finally got around to watching the Gute press conference. Hopefully it was just posturing. 

Got it. Yeah....he played up the "this year wont be like last year" theme....which made your MD and the projected FA haul somewhat surprising. Would be nice...not sure its close to happening though.

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Got it. Yeah....he played up the "this year wont be like last year" theme....which made your MD and the projected FA haul somewhat surprising. Would be nice...not sure its close to happening though.

If we don't sign Bulaga there's close to 50m there. Either he plans to sign Clark (which really wouldn't use up much cap seeing how his hit is 8m this year) Jones, King, etc, or there's going to be a nice sized crop of outside FAs. The money is there this year like it was last. I took his comment more to be about draft capital. We've gone from 4 top 75 picks, to 2. 

• Like 1

We're gonna know a lot more about the draft after FA happens, it's my assumption that they're going to spend on DL and OL and leave the rest of the positions for the draft.  Perhaps they will do something different.

There's just not a ton of value in the DL group in this draft class, I fear.  You've got two blue chip guys and a bunch of projects and 2-down players.

8 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Can’t believe there isn’t more run for Reakwon Davis from Bama. When he’s on and motivated he’s a man among boys. 

Doesn't bring any pass rush. He's got some genunitely special parts with his anchor and his lateral movement, but he just doesn't get after it in that way. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Doesn't bring any pass rush. He's got some genunitely special parts with his anchor and his lateral movement, but he just doesn't get after it in that way. 

I guess the question might be "can he learn to pass rush"?   Like I think about Jarran Reid, who couldn't rush the passer at Bama but picked it up in Seattle.

I agree though, if you think he's a 2-down player you don't take him high.  NFL coaches are known to see things others don't though.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

15 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I guess the question might be "can he learn to pass rush"?   Like I think about Jarran Reid, who couldn't rush the passer at Bama but picked it up in Seattle.

I agree though, if you think he's a 2-down player you don't take him high.  NFL coaches are known to see things others don't though.

Did he? or did he have a Fackrell year?

On whoever said buy the defense, draft the offense... I think it was @Packerraymond, I disagree.  I gave it a lot of thought because I thought I agreed, but I don’t so much anymore.  I feel like other than OL, no rookie is coming in and having an impact.  We need help at skill positions.  I think a mediocre WR veteran would do much better for us than a really good rookie WR just because of the learning curve with Rodgers.  

I think we should sign two veteran receivers, sign Trevathan and a journeyman IDL, then draft IDL, ILB, DB.  

The argument for "buy the defense, build the offense" has to do with what pieces are available in which places..  The DL group in FA is fantastic (this is the first year guys taken in 2016 are free agents, and that was a very, very good DL class).  The WR group in FA is quite poor.

For the draft it's kind of the other way around- great bunch of WRs, DL group is shallow.

So philosophically you might prefer to draft defense, but in practical terms it makes more sense to do it the other way around this time.

• Like 1