2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

Just now, St Vince said:

Now that we're back in draft purgatory im not excited about the draft this year,  it's all about FA for me. In 2015 we picked at  #30 and we all know how that draft turned out.

We got a talented player but were too stupid, thanks to our old and stubborn defensive coordinator, to play him where his skillset was best and we were in desperate need of cornerback health so we turned a safety into a corner instead of signing a corner? 

I usually get more excited the later we pick honestly.  It means I will learn more player names throughout the process.  It's also fun picking about 10-12 players that you think could fall who shouldn't fall and watching the draft in suspense. 

I am going to try to learn a little bit about the top 64 prospects this year.  It will make the draft a lot more fun. 

I just really wish we had some trade bait like we have in the past.  That makes it more exciting during the draft.  I don't think there's a single player on our roster that we would trade or get anything more than a 6th round pick for. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Where are we on injury guys at non-premium positions?

I believe we usually avoid those guys.  The Packers are usually pretty conservative with medicals, and I believe the last time we took someone coming off a significant injury relatively early in the draft was Justin Harrell.  Maybe Vince Biegel?

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

FA will dictate what we do in the draft. If we can address DL in fa, trading down to 40ish makes a lot of sense considering the ilbs and wrs likely available 

GB picks #30 for CLE picks #41, #90 is pretty close on the value chart. I'd do that if we feel there's equal value at WR between #30-41.

• Like 1

Just now, Lodestar said:

GB picks #30 for CLE picks #41, #90 is pretty close on the value chart. I'd do that if we feel there's equal value at WR between #30-41.

I don't think we're trading down that far.  We'd almost certainly be dropping down at least a tier or two.  I think Indianapolis would be a prime trade up candidate if they have a QB they like.  30 for 34 and 112.

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

FA will dictate what we do in the draft. If we can address DL in fa, trading down to 40ish makes a lot of sense considering the ilbs and wrs likely available 

If we're picking an ILB in the 40s, I think we're reaching.  There's really two off-ball LBs in the draft, and one (Isaiah Simmons) will be long gone by the time we pick at 30.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If we're picking an ILB in the 40s, I think we're reaching.  There's really two off-ball LBs in the draft, and one (Isaiah Simmons) will be long gone by the time we pick at 30.

I might have missed the discussion awhile back, but how do we feel about Troy Dye and Jacob Phillips?

13 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I wouldn't mind trading down to 40 if we added quality IDL in FA and/or were able to grab both a good ILB and WR in the 2nd and adding more quality IDL or another ILB in the 3rd. On the other hand, staying put and adding James Lynch may not be much of a reach when all is said and done with the combine. Lynch was a leader for a pretty tough Baylor D last year and has the size to play EDGE or move inside to the 3-tech.

Edited by Joe

Packers take Colorado WR Laviska Shenault in Daniel Jeremiah's first mock draft.

• Ross Uglem -   I've been saying this. Bet Green Bay goes WR in like... rounds two and four. Think Aiyuk and Mims, not necessarily Reagor or Jefferson. Is it what I would do? Maybe not, but it's closer to what they've done. Think OT, DL, EDGE, or CB in round 1.

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah we got a guy who quit on the team.

I mean, every draft is different.  2015 was just noteworthy in that it broke terribly for the Packers given the pool of talent and what positions the team wanted to fill.  They really wanted a CB and they saw Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters, and Byron Jones come off the board before they picked. After Randall was taken the next DBs off the board before the Packers picked another one were Landon Collins (a box safety), Jalen Collins (out of the league), Jaquiski Tartt (a thumper type safety), Eric Rowe (CB/S tweener, stiff, out of the league), Ronald Darby (major character concerns), and Senquez Golson (tiny, out of the league).

Problem in 2015 was that they went in the draft with a glaring need and things didn't break their way ahead of them.  I don't see this team going into the draft with glaring needs.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, every draft is different.  2015 was just noteworthy in that it broke terribly for the Packers given the pool of talent and what positions the team wanted to fill.  They really wanted a CB and they saw Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters, and Byron Jones come off the board before they picked. After Randall was taken the next DBs off the board before the Packers picked another one were Landon Collins (a box safety), Jalen Collins (out of the league), Jaquiski Tartt (a thumper type safety), Eric Rowe (CB/S tweener, stiff, out of the league), Ronald Darby (major character concerns), and Senqyez Golson (tiny, out of the league).

Problem in 2015 was that they went in the draft with a glaring need and things didn't break their way ahead of them.  I don't see this team going into the draft with glaring needs.

Rowe has been Rowe-tating...see what I did there...between Miami and New England. Landon Collins has already been a bust for Washington. 

That 2015 draft was the epitome of Capers cancer-like effects on the organization: take a guy with a great skill set for one position, make him adjust to a slightly different position, and watch him fail and then blame the player for his own failures. I don't blame Randall for quitting on the team, but it ended his career as it killed him mentally. We've seen this with a lot of other players that go to mismanaged teams like Cleveland, Cincinnati, Miami, and at one time Tennessee. You could make the argument for the Jeff Fisher Rams as well during Goff's rookie year.

So to compare this to 2015, right now we expect the biggest needs the Packers will have going into the draft are: WR, LB, TE.  Since presumably something will be done with the right tackles and the DL in free agency.

WR is a very deep position in this draft- they'll probably pick at least 2, and maybe 3.  LB is a position that, barring a surprising fall, you wouldn't be filling at 30 anyway, and TEs are scarce but you're not going to force the issue.  That 2015 offseason going into the draft the prevailing wisdom was "holy *bleep* this team needs cornerbacks".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah we got a guy who quit on the team.

You forgot an S at the end of your sentence.

Nov. 30, 2019, "Browns safety Damarious Randall benched for Steelers game and kept home for something that happened during the week."

Cleveland.com is reporting that the suspension is due to an incident that occurred earlier this week

Dec. 27, 2019, "Disgruntled Browns Defender Hints at Future With Cryptic Tweet"