2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

3 or 4 different mocks have us taking Laviska Shenault. I'm guessing these publications have heard some stuff from somebody because I can tell you for a fact that Gute is in love with this kid. Depending on how the 1st round shakes out (especially at WR) I wouldn't be shocked if we jumped a few slots to secure him. 

Edited by Slinky

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, every draft is different.  2015 was just noteworthy in that it broke terribly for the Packers given the pool of talent and what positions the team wanted to fill.  They really wanted a CB and they saw Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters, and Byron Jones come off the board before they picked. After Randall was taken the next DBs off the board before the Packers picked another one were Landon Collins (a box safety), Jalen Collins (out of the league), Jaquiski Tartt (a thumper type safety), Eric Rowe (CB/S tweener, stiff, out of the league), Ronald Darby (major character concerns), and Senqyez Golson (tiny, out of the league).

Problem in 2015 was that they went in the draft with a glaring need and things didn't break their way ahead of them.  I don't see this team going into the draft with glaring needs.

Good points prior to the bold.

So, PC, I consider you to be one of the realest of the real on this board, capable of wading into heated discussions with a bit of information or perspective that helps me get my bearings. Your bolded point shocks me a bit. To me, this team has needs everywhere. Gute needs the offseason of his life to get the talent level anywhere near the tiers found on the two SB bound teams. DLine, ILB, WR, and OL need new starters, and even CB and S need depth or starter upgrades. I don't see this team going into the draft with any hope of fixing any of our glaring needs. We suck at drafting receivers. We suck at drafting tight ends. We suck at drafting defensive backs. If we are lucky, FA can only fix two or three spots, and we are due for some bad luck there. 

I have always been too optimistic with this team. Now, with my newfound pessimism, I count seven good players on offense and five good players on the defense without a great player to be found anywhere,

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

3 or 4 different mocks have us taking Laviska Shenault. I'm guessing these publications have heard some stuff from somebody because I can tell you for a fact that Gute is in love with this kid. Depending on how the 1st round shakes out (especially at WR) I wouldn't be shocked if we jumped a few slots to secure him. 

That's sarcasm, yeah? Shenault has a lot of injury concerns and he's not exactly known for his speed.

I think "we suck at drafting [position]" is a high bar to clear- you're looking at like the Browns and QBs or the Ravens and WRs level of futility.  "We drafted a few guys and it didn't work" is just the way the draft works.  They kept taking DL high and it not working out for them, until they got Kenny Clark.  They were red hot drafting WRs for years (Terrence Murphy, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson) until they kinda stopped.  Everyone sucks at drafting TEs because there just aren't many TEs worth a darn, and you usually have to take the real good ones way high or get lucky.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think "we suck at drafting [position]" is a high bar to clear- you're looking at like the Browns and QBs or the Ravens and WRs level of futility.  "We drafted a few guys and it didn't work" is just the way the draft works.  They kept taking DL high and it not working out for them, until they got Kenny Clark.  They were red hot drafting WRs for years (Terrence Murphy, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson) until they kinda stopped.  Everyone sucks at drafting TEs because there just aren't many TEs worth a darn, and you usually have to take the real good ones way high or get lucky.

because Dom kept playing them out of position, or they were incredible reaches like Khyri Thornton...

I mean, a huge portion of the draft is "things working out unexpectedly well."  Seattle didn't know Richard Sherman was gonna be Richard Sherman when they took him in the 5th Round, New England didn't know Tom Brady was going to be who he was when they took him in the 6th.  If they had any inkling those guys were gonna be as good as they were they would have taken them much higher.

But just like how sometimes things just go unbelievably well because of circumstances beyond your control, the opposite happens a lot too.  Statistics bear out that 50% of first round picks just don't pan out, and the odds get worse as you go into the draft.  After all, the plural of anecdote is not "data."

56 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's sarcasm, yeah? Shenault has a lot of injury concerns and he's not exactly known for his speed.

Have you ever watched him play? He's an explosive playmaker that can do a lot of different things on the field. He plays very quick for a guy his size and is tough as nails.

And lets not forget he didn't have the best QBing while he was in CO. And his injuries have been a torn labrum and a toe injury (if I remember correctly). Not sure if there's any long-term concern with those, but if he checks out medically he has a good shot at going in the 1st. And Gute would love to get his hands on him. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, 1st post here. We had a great year and sad we fell short but we have to be happy and excited for our future. I believe we have all the right young talent, something we never really had before. I live Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Sternburger, Clark, Gary, Savage, Alexander, King, Scott. So for this draft I’d love to see us go after some WR talent and a ILB.

i have

rd1. QB Jordan Love Utah St.

- It’s a questionable pick and depending how much we like the guy. I think we drafted Rodgers when Favre was 36-37, I can’t remember. I think it’s important that we do bring in someone who can learn behind Rodgers for 2-3 years. This kid has what it takes to be a stud of a QB. I think he has a great combine tho and goes top 15 maybe top 10. If he did somehow fall I wouldn’t mind going QB.

rd2. WR Jaleon Reagor TCU

- Hes the WR we are missing in the offense. He’s fast and shifty. We don’t have a player like him. His speed opens up so much for this team.

rd3. ILB Jordyn Brooks Texas Tech

- Imo Martinez will be gone so I see us going LB rather early. I would be surprised to see him available here but this guy will be an excellent player for years to come. He has leader all over him. He’s fast and can do all on the field.

rd4. T Marcus Norman, South Florida

-Not sure the status on Bulaga so we gotta find a replacement. I think Rd4 is a good spot to find a potential replacement. I’d like to see Bulaga back for 2 years at least.

rd5. WR/Slot KJ Hill, Ohio St.

- Now I absolutely love this kid. If he drops to 5 I think it’s an easy pick for us. Him and Reagor add so much versatility and explosiveness to this offense. Rodgers will love this guy!!!

rd6. DT Larrell Murchison, NC State

- Pretty athletic dude for his size. We really need guys who can come in and get to the holes and stop the run.

rd7. TE Matthew Wilkerson, Edward Waters

- Here is where most talent is gone. This guy is not know, not a big school but has been noticed and can be a huge steal. He’s very tall at 6’6, has good hands. Tons of potential for a guy picked late in the draft.

• Like 2

Another QB in the first round to sit behind Rodgers mock ....

These days, the big win with a QB is if they hit, you get a starting QB on the cheap giving you money to spend elsewhere. If they sit behind Rodgers for three years then most of that is gone. We should only remotely consider a QB in the first couple of rounds if you are absolutely certain he is the one and the value is so amazing, you have no choice but to make the pick.

Rodgers was tipped to possibly go number 1, we only took him because it got to the point where you had to do it. Sure if you get a Rodgers scenario again which basically means Burrow or possibly (if Gute loves him) Tua falls to number 30 then yeah sure. Otherwise ...  No. 

I don’t see us going QB unless someone really special falls. We are married to AR 3 more years based on his dead cap and have hi under contract 4. I think ideally we take a swing next year, get 2 years of evaluation, and then move on or take another shot in 2023 inAR’s last year which Has 3m guaranteed 

I'm kind of nervous about Reagor since the track record for B12 WRs is not good at all.

It's conceivable that Marquise Brown is gonna be a good one, but Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Kevin White, Tavon Austin, and Justin Blackmon are the previous 5 WRs from Big 12 schools taken in the first and that doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.  It's not like the caliber of defense played in the conference has improved markedly either.

Like if I had CeeDee Lamb as a target, I'd be nervous too.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Slinky said:

Have you ever watched him play? He's an explosive playmaker that can do a lot of different things on the field. He plays very quick for a guy his size and is tough as nails.

And lets not forget he didn't have the best QBing while he was in CO. And his injuries have been a torn labrum and a toe injury (if I remember correctly). Not sure if there's any long-term concern with those, but if he checks out medically he has a good shot at going in the 1st. And Gute would love to get his hands on him. 

I've seen him play and I'll certainly give you the fact that Steven Montez, who's supposedly a draftable QB in this class(says a lot about the class TBH), was his QB. However, if you're a first round talent, you look past that and put up numbers like DeAndre Hopkins has for the Texans. Outside a trackmeet against USC and an OT win against Air Force(whose defense was suspect all year), he really wasn't all too impressive. Sure, his averages look good, but I saw him early in the season but "explosive" was not a word I'd attribute to him at all. I knew he was hyped up but it felt like I was just waiting for him to prove the hype and I just couldn't see it and sure, some of it was what I saw around him; still...

I think he'll make a decent pro, but we're looking for a Jalen Reagor or a KJ Hill or a Henry Ruggs type.  If he's there in the 2nd, by all means, but pick 30 is too early.

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm kind of nervous about Reagor since the track record for B12 WRs is not good at all.

It's conceivable that Marquise Brown is gonna be a good one, but Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Kevin White, Tavon Austin, and Justin Blackmon are the previous 5 WRs from Big 12 schools taken in the first and that doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.  It's not like the caliber of defense played in the conference has improved markedly either.

Like if I had CeeDee Lamb as a target, I'd be nervous too.

Well let's go through that list briefly:

Corey Coleman: Cleveland Browns...come on...

Josh Doctson: Washington Redskins and they couldn't decide if Kirk was their QB or not, plus he had a nasty injury his rookie year.

Kevin White: Injuries galore, bust.

Tavon Austin: didn't play in the Big XII, but went to an awful Rams team that, like Washington with Doctson, couldn't decide who their QB was.

Justin Blackmon: tons of off-the-field issues before he was even drafted. Proved how disconnected and desperate the Jaguars FO was at the time...

Also, I think the OU offense is a lot different under Riley compared to that of Stoops. I think Lamb becomes a star if he can stay healthy and land with the right team...

9 hours ago, Slinky said:

You know Gute feels this way how? As for Shenault, from video, he reminds me of Sammy Watkins when he came out. Will try and run over people. That's nice, but that partially explains why he has been injury prone. Also, from analysis I've read, he is very limited in what he ran for a route tree and was a gadget player. I don't want a guy who is gonna take a long time to learn route running. I doubt Rodgers wants that either. Granted, alot of these WR prospects have that issue, the Alabama guys excepting, especially Jeudy.