2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

Why do people obsess over Aiyuk? He's a disappointment waiting to happen. Here's what Zierlein wrote about him:

Ascending receiving prospect who has shown continued improvement since coming from the JUCO ranks. Aiyuk has size, speed and is a natural pass-catcher who plays with good energy but he must improve physicality to handle contested catches. He can be slick and instinctive to separate out of stems and turns, but getting in and out of standard route breaks tends to limit his effectiveness. He needs more polish, but his ability to create yards after catch could get him some early reps while he's still developing. He has the potential to develop into a WR3.

The Draft Network is a bit nicer:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/brandon-aiyuk/ZsLQCCVH6K

...and we think he can be a WR2, if not eventually a WR1...

I bet he drops to Day 3...

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

How do we feel about Drafttek's mock?

1.30 - Justin Madubuike | IDL | Texas A&M
2.62 - Brandon Aiyuk | WR | Arizona State
3.94 - Jeremy Chinn | SAF | Southern Illinois
4.136 - Willie Gay Jr | LB | Mississippi State (Matt Peart went one pick later)
5.175 - Alex Taylor | OT | South Carolina State
6.192 - Evan Weaver | ILB | California
6.208 - Keith Ismael | IOL | San Diego State
6.209 - James Robinson | RB | Illinois State
7.236 - Lynn Bowden Jr | WR | Kentucky
7.242 - Danny Pinter | IOL | Ball State

No need for Chinn and Gay, same player. Sub one for another OL and I'd be happy.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What's so special about Bowden? Especially in a crazy deep WR draft...

He's a poor man's Randall Cobb. If he isn't pressed into service as a QB, I bet we're talking about him as a Day 2 pick.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

6'3" 293 with a 4.81 40 and 31 combine reps. I think he's plenty big enough. Blacklock is another option there as he went later. 

Except Blacklock is horrible against the run. He's a 4-3 rushing DT in the mold of early Suh and McCoy.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

No need for Chinn and Gay, same player. Sub one for another OL and I'd be happy.

That's kinda why I pointed out Peart going 1 pick after Gay. I doubt Peart's there anyways but that's the way I was going (OL) with that pick.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There should be enough WRs available throughout the draft, I don't see how WR is the value at 30.  I'd really prefer an OT there instead.

CWood, if top-3 priorities are OT, WR, and DL, which of those position groups would you be most willing to defer till round 3 or later?  

3 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

i just like guys on the DL with more length. 

Feel ya. I just like guys that are good. I think Madubuike is plenty good enough to be an impact guy. He won't ever be explosive but he's a nice #2 next to KC97.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What are you expecting at 30? You're not getting a complete player there, especially on the DL.

If I'm going IDL, I want someone who can stop the run first, and then offer a pass rush. We have 4 other guys very capable of rushing the passer and I suspect we'll find more along the way. Every game we lost last season was because our run defense is a joke.

If I'm going WR at 30, it's gotta be someone like Jalen Reagor who can make an immediate impact, but isn't expected to shoulder the bulk of the passing load, at least in the first year or two.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Feel ya. I just like guys that are good. I think Madubuike is plenty good enough to be an impact guy. He won't ever be explosive but he's a nice #2 next to KC97.

and that's what we're looking for at this time...

Just now, gopackgo247 said:

i agree. they cant all be Rashan Garys

Tongue in cheek? I know a lot of people didn't like that pick but I think he's going to come on strong this year. Honestly, I'd love to move him to DL full time. I think he's better suited there than in space. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Tongue in cheek? I know a lot of people didn't like that pick but I think he's going to come on strong this year. Honestly, I'd love to move him to DL full time. I think he's better suited there than in space. 

no im just saying they cant all have that rare blend of size and athleticism that gary has and what i covet in a DL. those guys dont last to 30 though. 

• Like 1