2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

One was a top 12 pick, the other was a top 150 pick.

Like it or not, the draft slot matters still.

Also, unlike Gary, Keke is an average athlete.

Those are valid points, but at the end of the day it comes down to production on the field. Neither did much of anything last year. 

I hope Gary's athleticism turns into production on the field. I also hope Keke makes a big year two stride. The NFL is filled with guys who are not great athletes but can really play football. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Golfman said:

What I don't get is being up on Gary but wanting to give up on Keke! I expect both to make big second year gains!

Not giving up on Keke, but 5th round picks usually last 2-4 years in the league. I hope he makes it, but there is probably a 75% chance he is out of the league in 2023.

Gary gets deserved flack for not being special his rookie year, but if he just plays like he did last year and stays healthy, he'll be a rotation guy in the league for 7 years (then throw in he has freak upside).

56 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Not giving up on Keke, but 5th round picks usually last 2-4 years in the league. I hope he makes it, but there is probably a 75% chance he is out of the league in 2023.

Gary gets deserved flack for not being special his rookie year, but if he just plays like he did last year and stays healthy, he'll be a rotation guy in the league for 7 years (then throw in he has freak upside).

OK, not looking for Keke to be special, just functional. It would be awesome if he developed into something more, but if all he becomes is a good rotational player  who plays his role well, that is a big win. 

20 hours ago, craig said:

CWood, if top-3 priorities are OT, WR, and DL, which of those position groups would you be most willing to defer till round 3 or later?  

I'd probably go OT, WR, and then DL in that order.  Outside of Javon Kinlaw and Derrick Brown, I'm kinda lukewarm on the DL class as a whole.  I'd rather roll with Davon Hamilton or Jordan Elliot in R3 than someone like Ross Blacklock or Neville Gallimore in the first round.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

How many of the guys you mentioned do you think will be available at the Packers 2nd round pick (#62) ? 

I'd say none, and I think that was the point @KManX89 was trying to make. If the Packers move up (in round 2) it's a different story of course. I don't expect them to do that...........but they might.

I think you're going to have at least two of Aiyuk, DPJ, Higgins, and Shenault being there.  If you're going WR early, which OT do you like in R2?  WR is the deepest position in the class, and quite frankly I don't think it's close.  Even a small move up seems like a real possibility.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd probably go OT, WR, and then DL in that order.  Outside of Javon Kinlaw and Derrick Brown, I'm kinda lukewarm on the DL class as a whole.  I'd rather roll with Davon Hamilton or Jordan Elliot in R3 than someone like Ross Blacklock or Neville Gallimore in the first round.

Thanks.  Yeah, that's kind of my ideal perspective too.  

I agree, *IF* you could get a worthwhile OT in round 1, the best of what's left in WR will still be interesting in round 2.  I'm kind of curious whether the best of what's left in DL at end of round 3 will be functional?  

Agree, *IF* a guy like Hamilton was there in round 3, or somebody as good or better, I'd love that landscape.  

Edited by craig

3 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

there is one decent receiver on the market and he seems like a bad guy to give a bag to

I dont know....just shooting from the hip.
If we could land a good #2 at a decent price - we could get by only using one "high" pick on a younger version WR (we DEFINITELY want to grab some of this draft class....) - allowing us to snag talent to fill other holes: DL/OT/ILB...

Plus - having a Vet #2 gives us better cover should Davante get injured.

2014 Draft Class.  WR.

1.4.  Sammy Watkins

1.7.  Mike Evans

1.12.  Odell Beckham Jr.

1.20.  Brandon Cooks

1.28.  Kelvin Benjamin

2.39.  Marquisse Lee

2.42.  Jordan Matthews

2.45.  Paul Richardson

2.53.  Davante Adams

2.57.  "World's Greatest"  Cody Latimer.  LOL.

2.61.  Allen Robinson

2.63.  Jarvis Landry

3.86.  Josh Huff

3.90.  Donte Moncreif

3.91.  John Brown

other notables....Martavis Bryant round 4.  Jared Abbrederis, round 5.  Quincy Enwa, round 6.  Jeff Janis, round 7.

Pretty stacked WR class.  Let's see how this year's crop compares!

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

So if 6 OT's are off the board and Reagor's sitting there at 30, do you go WR first?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

OK, not looking for Keke to be special, just functional. It would be awesome if he developed into something more, but if all he becomes is a good rotational player  who plays his role well, that is a big win. 

I hope he is functional. There is a better than than not he won't be though. I've been following the draft for us 20 years and there are a lot of fun intriguing prospects drafted late that don't pan out. That is just the nature.