Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

On 1/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, FinneasGage said:

i remember he was supposedly option A to be leader of dark order like a year ago... wonder if AEW puts him in that role or just shuts down the faction out of respect for brodie... either way would be surprised to see him not wind up in AEW once again 

naw, i don't think aew touches him. wwe or japan, i think, since we know wwe doesn't care about those types of allegations. i also don't think there will be a leader of the dark order, they certainly ain't gonna shut it down. i don't think they need a leader given they've gotta be bonafide faces now.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:39 PM, Bullet Club said:

Rowan showing up was epic. That's what drove it home for me.

I think Rowan is a good promo, I really hope he works for AEW. He's obviously not close to Brodie in the ring but Rowan in the Dark Order would be pretty special for me 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Out of curiosity, how would any company introduce him back? 

Rowan?  They probably call him by his name on the indies (Eric Redbeard; Excalibur even dropped it - which if I'm nitpicking that bit, which I hate to do on any tribute show, he should have just let Jericho take the lead, which he was doing well at and avoiding dialogue that would have left them liable to trademark infringement by saying "former," because Jericho was most recently in a promotion with the guy of anyone at the announce table).  Rowan a solid promo, but he'd still ultimately be best used in a similar capacity to how TNA (before it was Impact) used Abyss; he can speak and speak well, but you keep it scattered so that it's more special and give him a mouthpiece for regular times - the way TNA used Father James Mitchell.

If it were me, I'd keep Rowan as the deadpan heavy, barbarian type who doesn't participate in any comedy stuff that Silver does except to just glare back at him menacingly .  To that end, you don't, don't, DON'T make him not get the jokes, that makes him look like an idiot and a goober; he gets them, he's just not entertained by them.  If Tony Khan is the wrestling historian he claims to be, book Rowan like 911 in ECW.  You want to do a spot where Silver or one of the smaller guys want him to use them as a weapon (chokeslam them through a guy laid out on a table, for instance), have him go along with it, but have him make it look like he's not holding a damn thing back and isn't concerned if his guy also gets hurt in the process, as long as the guy at the bottom of the pile is also getting carted out on a gurney.

As far as all the who-knows-what going on with WWE; it looks like they've steered away from the rumored Roman/Goldberg Mania match that was making the rounds at the end of the year - unless they're planning on uniting the belts, which I just plain don't see Vince having the sense to do.  I hope, for sake of not tarnishing his build (again), they don't have Drew put Goldberg over and just have the old man do the damn job, but again I can have no confidence in Vince.

As far as Roman, putting him against Owens at Mania would be rushed.  The way they built this up and that Owens has managed to get over a sympathetic babyface - you don't have him finally wrest the title away from Roman without it being in front of a live crowd.  Also there's the whole bit about those two having main evented 2-3 of the last 5 PPV's leading into Mania making a strong case for oversaturation, to begin with.  The smartest booking for Roman is to just continue pushing him as Mega-Heel and expand that to the Dream-Smasher type.  Build up these guys people always wanted to see get a shot at the Big Daddy title and have him just damn near Brock them - but then do what Brock rarely ever did and take liberties with them after the match was over.  So who is a logical, sympathetic babyface who has no problem putting younger guys over, who we know gets great matches out of Roman, and who would draw eyes (at this point drawing "dollars" is a thing of the past with the Network since we're not talking PPV buys), particularly if he won a Rumble and challenged him (especially if he gets on the mic immediately after winning and calls out Roman - which, again, won't happen because Vince and his television writers will think that, "Well we've got to save that for Smackdown because people will tune in to see it...): Daniel freakin' Bryan.

And that's probably why it won't happen.

Edited by The LBC

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

Rowan?  They probably call him by his name on the indies (Eric Redbeard; Excalibur even dropped it - which if I'm nitpicking that bit, which I hate to do on any tribute show, he should have just let Jericho take the lead, which he was doing well at and avoiding dialogue that would have left them liable to trademark infringement by saying "former," because Jericho was most recently in a promotion with the guy of anyone at the announce table).  Rowan a solid promo, but he'd still ultimately be best used in a similar capacity to how TNA (before it was Impact) used Abyss; he can speak and speak well, but you keep it scattered so that it's more special and give him a mouthpiece for regular times - the way TNA used Father James Mitchell.

If it were me, I'd keep Rowan as the deadpan heavy, barbarian type who doesn't participate in any comedy stuff that Silver does except to just glare back at him menacingly .  To that end, you don't, don't, DON'T make him not get the jokes, that makes him look like an idiot and a goober; he gets them, he's just not entertained by them.  If Tony Khan is the wrestling historian he claims to be, book Rowan like 911 in ECW.  You want to do a spot where Silver or one of the smaller guys want him to use them as a weapon (chokeslam them through a guy laid out on a table, for instance), have him go along with it, but have him make it look like he's not holding a damn thing back and isn't concerned if his guy also gets hurt in the process, as long as the guy at the bottom of the pile is also getting carted out on a gurney.

I'm an idiot. I meant Scurll. 

But on the record, rowan would be PERFECT for The Dark Order

man idk, scurll is pretty toxic at this point. but wwe has done a pretty solid job of ignoring all criticism of their accused sexual abusers on the roster. i don't watch wwe so i'm not even sure where he'd fit in. he's awfully small so i don't think he'd do anything on the main roster. 

He would.  And Rowan actually does have a solid (not great, but it gets the job done and carries believability - which guys have made multi-decade careers off of in the past) promo.  I just don't think you can have him doing comedy bits, like at all - unless you want him turning into a Golga or (less a worker comparison, more a potential booking comparison) Khali equivalent.

7 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

man idk, scurll is pretty toxic at this point. but wwe has done a pretty solid job of ignoring all criticism of their accused sexual abusers on the roster. i don't watch wwe so i'm not even sure where he'd fit in. he's awfully small so i don't think he'd do anything on the main roster. 

I've been a Marty fan for a while, but given his size, him being English, etc. taken all into account, he's kind of redundant in WWE with the likes of Dunne and Bate (who has his own potential toxic stuffs to deal with, but he's got his immense youth on his side) already established there.  Vince is already slow to come around on foreigners (it typically took one of the next-tier down stake-holders fighting tooth and nail for guys like Sheamus (HHH) and McIntyre (HHH and Heyman) to get put into any sort of prominent role, much less let to run with it).  I mean, remember, this is the same Vince McMahon who had Renee Young take dialect lessons to reduce the prominence of her Canadian accent.  If WWE were going to go hard after a Brit right now (and I think they may have actually - stupidly - passed on him in the past, though to be fair, they wouldn't have used him correctly anyway), it would likely be Zach Saber Jr, and I'm pretty sure he's got at least a year or more left on any of his major contracts.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I've been a Marty fan for a while, but given his size, him being English, etc. taken all into account, he's kind of redundant in WWE with the likes of Dunne and Bate (who has his own potential toxic stuffs to deal with, but he's got his immense youth on his side) already established there.  Vince is already slow to come around on foreigners (it typically took one of the next-tier down stake-holders fighting tooth and nail for guys like Sheamus (HHH) and McIntyre (HHH and Heyman) to get put into any sort of prominent role, much less let to run with it).  I mean, remember, this is the same Vince McMahon who had Renee Young take dialect lessons to reduce the prominence of her Canadian accent.  If WWE were going to go hard after a Brit right now (and I think they may have actually - stupidly - passed on him in the past, though to be fair, they wouldn't have used him correctly anyway), it would likely be Zach Saber Jr, and I'm pretty sure he's got at least a year or more left on any of his major contracts.

i feel like i read it was zsj who passed on wwe after the cw classic and is one of those "wants to be in japan" types like ospreay claims to be and cobb/thatcher. 

i mean we all know wwe is high on any free agent because they'll pay you to eat but with no one touching scurl (unless new japan jumps in), they'd be signing him cause they like him. 

who knows. scurl may be done. 

5 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

i feel like i read it was zsj who passed on wwe after the cw classic and is one of those "wants to be in japan" types like ospreay claims to be and cobb/thatcher. 

i mean we all know wwe is high on any free agent because they'll pay you to eat but with no one touching scurl (unless new japan jumps in), they'd be signing him cause they like him. 

who knows. scurl may be done. 

Let's be real.  Once COVID finally subsides (whenever that is), he can probably still find work in Mexico or, if not, definitely Puerto Rico.  Colon doesn't give AF what someone's record looks like if that person can put buts in seats.  But it would be a significant step down for Marty.

Edited by The LBC
  • Like 1

Just now, The LBC said:

Let's be real.  Once COVID finally subsides (whenever that is), he can probably still find work in Mexico or, if not, definitely Puerto Rico.  Colon doesn't give AF what someone's record looks like if that person can put buts in seats.

scurll vs joey ryan headlining every show

My opinion on Marty's explanation and the sincerity of his apology is going to be almost entirely based on how much the Young Bucks and Omega go to bat for the guy. They would know him better than almost anybody in the business and based on their characteristics ("Christian AF/straight edge and being the lead for AEW's women's division respectively) those guys having his back would lead me to believe his actions were uncharacteristic and his apology sincere. 

Basically I know plenty of people I would 100% go to bat for and believe if they found/put themselves in that situation and unfortunately plenty of people I wouldn't. How the people who know him best respond is a lot more telling than what I think based on very little info.

47 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

My opinion on Marty's explanation and the sincerity of his apology is going to be almost entirely based on how much the Young Bucks and Omega go to bat for the guy. They would know him better than almost anybody in the business and based on their characteristics ("Christian AF/straight edge and being the lead for AEW's women's division respectively) those guys having his back would lead me to believe his actions were uncharacteristic and his apology sincere. 

Basically I know plenty of people I would 100% go to bat for and believe if they found/put themselves in that situation and unfortunately plenty of people I wouldn't. How the people who know him best respond is a lot more telling than what I think based on very little info.

AEW doesn't need him, their fans are too in the know to respond positively to him being there and thus I don't expect Kenny/YB to say anything about Marty any time soon