Joe Thiesmann unretires #7 and gives it to Dwayne Haskins

brushmyhair

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I wonder if he referenced the time his career was ended, just like he does as a commentator 100% of the time someone is down with an injury. 

Hey guys, did you know that Theismann's career was ended? It's just like Cross Fit...you want to know how someone does Cross Fit? They'll tell you.

For his sake, I hope he forgot everything about that moment. Blowing out a patella tendon was blood curdling pain, a blown up leg like that would be a nightmare.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

For his sake, I hope he forgot everything about that moment. Blowing out a patella tendon was blood curdling pain, a blown up leg like that would be a nightmare.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I empathize with him for sure...I just think that he's a dreadful and obnoxious broadcaster. The fact that he changed the pronunciation of his own last name for a Heisman campaign also still chaps me.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I empathize with him for sure...I just think that he's a dreadful and obnoxious broadcaster. The fact that he changed the pronunciation of his own last name for a Heisman campaign also still chaps me.

Oh, I don't disagree. He's a knob.

30 minutes ago, Leader said:

The only number officially retired by the Washington Redskins is Sammy Baugh (33). Its my understanding the organization has some "protected" numbers.

Haskins asking Theismann if he could use the number seems more of a personal/professional consideration - perhaps mandated by the organization when Haskins chose the number.  They might have responded: "Ask Joe first......"

How is 21 not retired then?

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The only number officially retired by the Washington Redskins is Sammy Baugh (33). Its my understanding the organization has some "protected" numbers.

Haskins asking Theismann if he could use the number seems more of a personal/professional consideration - perhaps mandated by the organization when Haskins chose the number.  They might have responded: "Ask Joe first......"

This is correct.  

1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

How is 21 not retired then?

Dont know. Not a WA fan so I'm not tuned in to the frequencies of their news.

As for Sean Taylor specifically - a personal thought........

The retiring of a number is in recognition of a players contributions to the team - not - the tragic nature of their death.
While Taylor was certainly a top notch Safety and if he'd have gone on to have a more notable, extended career with the team - they'd probably have considered retiring it - but - it seems pretty clear they're judicious with their *retirement* decisions.

Cant tell you how many numbers they've got "protected" - but Taylor's one of those.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dont know. Not a WA fan so I'm not tuned in to the frequencies of their news.

As for Sean Taylor specifically - a personal thought........

The retiring of a number is in recognition of a players contributions to the team - not - the tragic nature of their death.
While Taylor was certainly a top notch Safety and if he'd have gone on to have a more notable, extended career with the team - they'd probably have considered retiring it - but - it seems pretty clear they're judicious with their *retirement* decisions.

Cant tell you how many numbers they've got "protected" - but Taylor's one of those.

But throughout his career, he had a significant impact on the success of the Redskins 

Just now, brushmyhair said:

But throughout his career, he had a significant impact on the success of the Redskins 

That could be. Again, I didnt / dont follow them in "down to the roster details" closely.

Regardless, he only played three (3) full seasons. Was shot and killed in the second half of season #4.

Lets say he came in as a rookie - had "significant impact on the success of the Redskins...."  - but left in FA and played elsewhere.......
Would the Redskins given any thought to retiring his number?

No.

• Like 2