Jalen Hurts will make it to the NFL. But not as a QB

brushmyhair

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Come again?  Oklahoma has a TON of talent on offense.  The OL is a HUGE question mark outside of Creed Humphrey (whose going to be a top 64 pick), but the weapons are there.  CeeDee Lamb is a potential FRP next year, Grant Calcaterra is probably going to be a top 96 pick if he plays well next year, and they signed Jadon Haselwood, Theo Wease, and Trejan Bridges last year who were I believe 3 of the top 10 WRs.  Still plenty of talent for Hurts to work with at RB too.

You do know they had four linemen drafted in the NFL right just this past season?  Sure they can reload but I doubt they will be at the same level, sure Humphrey is good but the rest are question marks obviously and to say that OL play is not a huge reason for that offense success, well to me it is.  Lamb yes is great but the rest are still unproven players, Lamb is the star but the rest need to show what they can do.  Calcaterra is good sure but again needs to prove himself a lot more as do the RBs.  I do not base things off of recruiting usually.  Will see if Sermon can take his play tot he next level, he has been kind of up and down so far in his career. 

It is a huge list of players in the NFL from Baker's last year and this past season with Kyler and most obviously are offensive lineman.  Thus I said Hurts will be around less talent that Kyler or Baker had.  Take some of that protection away and things could look different, but maybe they will just completely reload and be up to par with the previous years, two Heisman trophy winning years, good luck.  

Marquise Brown
Orlando Brown
Cody Ford
Ben Powers
Dru Samia
Bobby Evans
Mark Andrews
Jeff Badet
Erick Wren
Rodney Anderson

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Or do you want what the NFL GM that does this next year is smoking?

I think a team will ask him to change positions like how Julian Edelman and Braxton Miller did. Could totally see him being a WR for the Patriots 

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You do know they had four linemen drafted in the NFL right just this past season?  Sure they can reload but I doubt they will be at the same level, sure Humphrey is good but the rest are question marks obviously and to say that OL play is not a huge reason for that offense success, well to me it is.  Lamb yes is great but the rest are still unproven players, Lamb is the star but the rest need to show what they can do.  Calcaterra is good sure but again needs to prove himself a lot more as do the RBs.  I do not base things off of recruiting usually.  Will see if Sermon can take his play tot he next level, he has been kind of up and down so far in his career. 

It is a huge list of players in the NFL from Baker's last year and this past season with Kyler and most obviously are offensive lineman.  Thus I said Hurts will be around less talent that Kyler or Baker had.  Take some of that protection away and things could look different, but maybe they will just completely reload and be up to par with the previous years, two Heisman trophy winning years, good luck.  

Marquise Brown
Orlando Brown
Cody Ford
Ben Powers
Dru Samia
Bobby Evans
Mark Andrews
Jeff Badet
Erick Wren
Rodney Anderson

I believe the 3rd sentence said something along the lines about the OL being a big question mark.  I was talking specifically about the skill positions.  Marquise Brown wasn't even close to being a FRP prior to this year.  Orlando Brown was a late 3rd round pick, and despite losing him last year, Bobby Evans replaced him reasonably well.  There's no doubt that they're going to have to replace the OL, but they've done a good job of recruiting and developing under Bedendaugh.  Calcatarra could be better than Mark Andrews.  Jeff Badet sucks, and Erik Wren isn't very good.  Rodney Anderson missed most of last year, and the Sooners' running game didn't take a hit.  They'll be just fine offensively.  That's not the side of the ball I'm concerned about.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I believe the 3rd sentence said something along the lines about the OL being a big question mark.  I was talking specifically about the skill positions.  Marquise Brown wasn't even close to being a FRP prior to this year.  Orlando Brown was a late 3rd round pick, and despite losing him last year, Bobby Evans replaced him reasonably well.  There's no doubt that they're going to have to replace the OL, but they've done a good job of recruiting and developing under Bedendaugh.  Calcatarra could be better than Mark Andrews.  Jeff Badet sucks, and Erik Wren isn't very good.  Rodney Anderson missed most of last year, and the Sooners' running game didn't take a hit.  They'll be just fine offensively.  That's not the side of the ball I'm concerned about.

Orlando Brown Jr started 10 games for the Ravens last year and should have been a 1st or 2nd rounder but people under valued him because of his poor combine, the kid was a great talent and I had him as a 1st round prospect all that season.  I had Marquise Brown a 1st round pick prospect as a SOPH and especially as a JR but the injury made that a slight question mark.  Still 1st or 2nd round he is an elite talent with obvious big time speed.  Mark Andrews was almost better as a true FR than Calcaterra was as a SOPH and did it at a higher level than Calcaterra has unless Calcaterra just blows up this year, will see about that.

Sure they have weapons but there are two proven weapons, Lamb and Calcatarra along with Sermon and Brooks as the backs.  To say that is a totally stacked offensive roster, no it is not compared to years previous.  If one would have to choose the 2017 offensive roster, 2018 or 2019 roster, no one would pick the 2019 group over those other two offensive rosters I feel.  Probably just an issue of semantics, I said 'weapons or talent' and I view a good offensive line as a weapon and as talent, or offensive pieces that help greatly, and the offensive line is simply not going to be as good I feel which will affect the entire offense obviously.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, BayRaider said:

He’ll probably tear it up at Oklahoma but he proved at Alabama he’s fools gold. Even if he has a Kyler/Baker season, I wouldn’t touch him before the 5th as a QB. 

If he has a season like that, I think someone goes Day 2

I think a lot of it is going to be what Lincoln Riley does with him. There's a skill-set with Hurts that can work, and it's on Riley to refine it. 

If he can, we can probably expect to see a different player than the Alabama Hurts, we'll see a guy making solid reads/progressions and looking more and more the part.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think a lot of it is going to be what Lincoln Riley does with him. There's a skill-set with Hurts that can work, and it's on Riley to refine it. 

If he can, we can probably expect to see a different player than the Alabama Hurts, we'll see a guy making solid reads/progressions and looking more and more the part.

Agreed.  He has a year like Kyler, he could be a high first rounder (though I very much doubt that, if not for his success, there are too many QBs that are starting ahead of him as prospects).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed.  He has a year like Kyler, he could be a high first rounder (though I very much doubt that, if not for his success, there are too many QBs that are starting ahead of him as prospects).

Yeah, totally agree here - Kyler really benefitted from a rather lukewarm rookie QB class. Hurts is lining up against Tua, Fromm, Herbert, Eason - and probably a few additional late bloomers we're not talking about yet, a la Dwayne Haskins and Mitch Trubisky. 

Tua, Fromm and Herbert would have went ahead of Kyler this draft IMO, so I don't see a lesser version of Kyler going ahead of these guys.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Yeah, totally agree here - Kyler really benefitted from a rather lukewarm rookie QB class. Hurts is lining up against Tua, Fromm, Herbert, Eason - and probably a few additional late bloomers, a la Dwayne Haskins and Mitch Trubisky. 

Tua, Fromm and Herbert would have went ahead of Kyler this draft IMO, so I don't see a lesser version of Kyler going ahead of these guys.

Agreed.  The way I see it, one of the presumptive top QBs will sink his draft stock like crazy, and one other QB will come out of nowhere to be a top pick.  Because that's usually how classes play out.  Even so, Tua, Herbert, and Fromm almost seem like safe first rounders.  With the resumes they already have, they'd need to do something really awful to sink their status that much, and Tua and Fromm are on crazy good teams that should easily win their halves of the SEC again.

But who knows?  Hurts has a damn good resume already on the field, and you know just from the Tua situation that he's a team player.  He shines at Oklahoma, he will be coveted.

Of course, in a make or break year for Mariota, and the Titans being too good to only win 2-5 games, I'm praying for an absolutely stacked QB class.  Just in case.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 1:42 PM, freak_of_nature said:

I think the good teams with the aging QBs all need to have a Taysom Hill type (I know Hill is also big and powerful compared to Hurts) to run some safe plays and use as a decoy.

The Giants signed Eric Dungey from Syracuse for what I suspect is this reason. He's listed as a QB/TE.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Orlando Brown Jr started 10 games for the Ravens last year and should have been a 1st or 2nd rounder but people under valued him because of his poor combine, the kid was a great talent and I had him as a 1st round prospect all that season.  I had Marquise Brown a 1st round pick prospect as a SOPH and especially as a JR but the injury made that a slight question mark.  Still 1st or 2nd round he is an elite talent with obvious big time speed.  Mark Andrews was almost better as a true FR than Calcaterra was as a SOPH and did it at a higher level than Calcaterra has unless Calcaterra just blows up this year, will see about that.

Sure they have weapons but there are two proven weapons, Lamb and Calcatarra along with Sermon and Brooks as the backs.  To say that is a totally stacked offensive roster, no it is not compared to years previous.  If one would have to choose the 2017 offensive roster, 2018 or 2019 roster, no one would pick the 2019 group over those other two offensive rosters I feel.  Probably just an issue of semantics, I said 'weapons or talent' and I view a good offensive line as a weapon and as talent, or offensive pieces that help greatly, and the offensive line is simply not going to be as good I feel which will affect the entire offense obviously.

I think the point you're missing is that those guys weren't superstar prospects, or even stud prospects going into their draft year.  Orlando Brown wasn't viewed as a FRP going into the season, especially if his dad wasn't a former NFL football player.  Most didn't view Marquise Brown as a FRP going into last year.  I think Mark Andrews had the most hype going into his draft season, and he went in the 3rd round.  I don't think he had the hype that Jermaine Gresham had.  As for the whole Andrews/Calcatarra numbers, it really wasn't that much different.  The year before they became draft eligible their numbers were:

Andrews: 31 receptions, 489 receiving yards, 15.8 YPC, 7 TD (12 games)
Calcatarra: 26 receptions, 396 receiving yards, 15.2 YPC, 6 TD (12 games)

Their numbers were fairly similar.

And I didn't say they were stacked with proven telant.  I said they had a TON of talent on offense.  Last year's running game is replacing Kyler Murray (obviously) and Rodney Anderson, but the trio of Sermon, Brooks, and Pledger still ran for over 2,000 yards.  Rodney Anderson only accounted for 11 rushing attempts last year.  They'll have to replace Marquise Brown's production, but between the three young WRs they signed: Theo Wease, Jadon Haselwood, and Trejan Bridges, they should have at least one of them burst out.