News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

2 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I mean, if he's actually the best tight end on the roster, then I have no problem with him getting the most snaps. Of course, that probably says more about the other options than Witten at this point

Just from the clips I've seen of OTAs Witten is yelling at OL to get in place or hurry to the line. It appears he still knows this offense better than most.

8 minutes ago, DaBoys said:
12 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I mean, if he's actually the best tight end on the roster, then I have no problem with him getting the most snaps. Of course, that probably says more about the other options than Witten at this point

Just from the clips I've seen of OTAs Witten is yelling at OL to get in place or hurry to the line. It appears he still knows this offense better than most.

Witten comes back

Wins superbowl ring

Shows up at CBS broadcast

Looks Romo in the eye

Takes off hair piece

Holds up Ring

Tears down cheek

Embrace in hug

No words said

Goes home

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

@WizardHawk => Can you look at those sturm articles and tell me if Daks "self sacks" improved throughout the year? 

I have a theory that his self sacks went down after we changed OL coachs, got Cooper and Daks confidence went up. But I dont have a subscription to the Athletic. 

9 sacks weeks 1-8
5 sacks weeks 9-12
1 sack weeks 13-17

Via Sturm.....

TOTAL SACKS ALLOWED 2018

Snaps Me PFF
Dak Prescott 1070 15 15
La’el Collins 1075 9 8
Connor Williams 688 7 5
Xavier Su’a-Filo 494 7 6
Scheme   4  
Tyron Smith 849 3 0
Cam Fleming 232 4 2
Zack Martin 877 3 3
Adam Redmond 96 2 1
Joe Looney 1076   1
Ezekiel Elliott 890 1  
Rod Smith 151 1  
    56 41
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

9 sacks weeks 1-8
5 sacks weeks 9-12
1 sack weeks 13-17

My man. Theory confirmed. 

I also dont remember any play off game self-sacks, but I could be wrong. But 1 in the last 6 games (4 + 2 playoff) would be a huge step up after 9 in the start of the year. 

Just reaffirms that Dak and the talent around him just completely pooped the bed from Falcons 17 to Titans 18.

10 hours ago, DaBoys said:

@WizardHawk

Tight end Jason Witten, 37, took all the snaps with the first team in practice on Wednesday. If the Cowboys plan to have him split snaps with Blake Jarwin they are having a funny way in showing it. There is no question Witten is the best and most experienced tight end on the roster. He may not be limited to 25 snaps as sources initially said when they re-signed him out of retirement. 

Sigh.......knew this was coming from the moment he signed though. No way he was ever going to be a complimentary TE or 2nd fiddle to anyone. As @flyingmonkey30 said this more about where the others stand than Witten himself. Obviously he knows how to get open, but I really don't expect him to be very productive at all. I'm probably underestimating him though too. 

To think this organization (along with everyone else) knew Witten was near the end of the line and they had 2 really deep TE classes in 3 years to address and did nothing. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Sigh.......knew this was coming from the moment he signed though. No way he was ever going to be a complimentary TE or 2nd fiddle to anyone. As @flyingmonkey30 said this more about where the others stand than Witten himself. Obviously he knows how to get open, but I really don't expect him to be very productive at all. I'm probably underestimating him though too. 

To think this organization (along with everyone else) knew Witten was near the end of the line and they had 2 really deep TE classes in 3 years to address and did nothing. 

Don’t act surprised. This organization has a history of waiting until at least a year after the void is exposed before making any moves. In some cases, nearly a decade.

27 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

My man. Theory confirmed. 

I also dont remember any play off game self-sacks, but I could be wrong. But 1 in the last 6 games (4 + 2 playoff) would be a huge step up after 9 in the start of the year. 

Just reaffirms that Dak and the talent around him just completely pooped the bed from Falcons 17 to Titans 18.

Sturm did evaluate the playoffs and credited Dak with another self sack. This is it....and it isn't or should not have been a sack. I remember this play very well and it should have never been blown dead. 

DIVISIONAL ROUND AT LOS ANGELES

Sack #58 – 2Q – 0:52 – 3rd and 7 from Los Angeles 36-yard line

This is third and long, but right on the edge of field-goal range, too. So, buy time here, but you can’t take a sack or you will lose points. In fact, maybe even take a very short gain to get a few more yards for your kicker. Dak knows he is down 13 points, and therefore he isn’t interested in a field goal. He wants a touchdown before the half. I get it, but taking too much time causes him to go past the threshold of holding the ball. Was he really sacked here? Either way, this will be added to the QB’s ledger. BUST: PRESCOTT

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Don’t act surprised. This organization has a history of waiting until at least a year after the void is exposed before making any moves. In some cases, nearly a decade.

I don't really think this has been an issue tbh. I think the club does a fair job of addressing needs ahead of time. I did also forget they added Dalton Schultz. But, I'm not expecting much from him. It is a source of frustration though that Njoku has on the board when Taco was selected. Nothing in recent memory makes me want to throw up more than taking Ryan Switzer when my Hawkeye George Kittle was sitting there. 

• Like 2

Having said that, Iloka is still the obvious newcomer to a situation that features two incumbent starters. As might be expected, Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods have taken first-team reps throughout OTAs, while Iloka has worked with the second string defense.

Whether Iloka pushes for a starting job remains to be seen. But he said Wednesday that he likes the way the Cowboys deploy the strong safety close to the line of scrimmage in their scheme, and he’s excited for the chance to do that.

“I came here, honestly, because they gave me an opportunity,” he said. “It’s a different scheme from what I’ve played in the first seven years of my career, and I wanted to get into this system.”

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/iloka-aiming-for-the-best-year-of-his-career

I am undecided about Witten.  I do think coming into this season he is the best blocking TE on the roster so that’s a plus so he will get a lot of 1st down snaps. he might not be as capable of taking all the snaps but he can be very helpful in red zone and third downs.  He also can help our young TE’s learn how to be better.   I have high hopes Jarvis will get better and better 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

What was the hold up?

I forget how it works, but 3rd round picks are the only ones with any amount of room for negotiation on in their rookie deals under the current CBA. Something about the guarantees or incentives. Everyone else’s deals are basically set in stone, only 3rd rounders have gray area.

• Like 1