GDT Week 1: Giants @ Cowboys - The Return of the Zeke?

Texas_OutLaw7

17 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I'm not a fan of either team but I'm looking forward to Evan Engram's first action. Seeing if they'll line Byron Jones up on him whenever he's out there.

You would figure, especially if Beckham sits- not much need for 2 deep safeties on early downs without OBJ in the lineup, which is how we typically play them.

3 hours ago, Dirk Gently said:

Fish reporting that Jaylon may be the every down guy.  Like this week.

Well damn. 

I would have thought they'd want to ease him in to that role but they would know where he's at health-wise better than us. 

I am mixed about Jaylon as well. I expect great things from him but am willing to be patient to wait until he is physically able to handle a full work load with out potential problems down the road. I also think he needs time to adapt to the pro game even more then a average rookie sense he hasn't been playing "game speed" for some time. I liked the idea of slowly working him in so he can read/review and understand what he needs to do.

One of my major concerns about this game is mistakes being made in the back 7  and giving up big plays, something that always seems to cost us against Giants. In the past we have stayed in the game even with a few big plays,  but if a few turn into MANY then we will have problems.

I would expect the game to be hard fought as it usually is.  Our inexperience in the secondary could be a problem so early in the season, especially if we can't get consistent pressure.  I believe our offense can do a solid job, but the Giants defense isn't going to allow too many points to us either way.  I expect Zeke to be fired up for this one and I think Dak is going to be improved as a passer this year (though it won't necessarily show in the numbers).

I expect the game to be decided when our defense is on the field.  How will we do against what I think is still a highly suspect OL?  How will our secondary deal with their amount of weapons (even without Beckham, there is still Marshall, Shepherd, and Engram)?  The answers to those questions will provide the difference in the game IMO.

Not really worried about our "inexperienced" secondary.  Not really seeing the inexperience.  As far as I know, Orlando Scandrick is our starting CB and team captain.  Not sure how you can call him inexperienced when I've been typing that f'd up name on this site for close to a decade.  Opposite him you have a 7 year vet; 30 year old Nolan Carroll.  Carroll has his issues but not playing in the NFL long enough isn't one of them.   Same thing could be said for Byron Jones.  Sure he is younger than Caroll but he's no rookie anymore. We have drafted 25 different guys since Jones was selected in the 1st round, and he is going into his 3rd year. NYG Landon Collins seems to think that's plenty enough time to get results. I don't consider Byron Jones a puppy anymore. If he is playing poor it's just poor play. Then we have Anthony Brown who is young, but he had a fantastic rookie year and is poised more for a follow up year than a growing pains season. And finally Jeff Heath, who maybe hasn't ever been penciled in as the starter before, but he isn't a rookie either.  This is his 4th year in the league, he's 26, and he comes in 2017 with plenty of playoff experience, having 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass def, and 1 INT in 3 career playoff games.  It's not like he is a wide eyed rookie out there.

AND THEN we drafted CB round 2 and 3. That doesnt mean we are inexperinced in the secondary imo.  We also drafted two DTs.  Should we be worried about the experience of Tyrone Crawford, Stephen Paea, and Collins? 

I mean I get it.  There will be some new faces flying around at times.  I just don't think we are as dependant on the rookies(who haven't really practiced) as much as some think.

On Sunday, September 03, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Gmen said:

The Giants showed last year that they match up pretty well against this cowboys team.  They have the front four to match up against the Cowboys running game. snacks Harrison being a big part of that.  Landon Collins coming down into the box is a big factor against the run as well.

Not sure why you guys are so cocky here and in your GDT about Elliott.  You shut him down in his very first career game.  Ill give you that.  But everyone knows Zeke took a bit to settle in.  By the time the 2nd game rolled around Zeke put up over 100 yards on your great run D and had 4.5 YPC. As I screamed at the TV for more run plays(story of all last year).  

You didn't stop Zeke.  You stopped Dak.  Be cocky as hell about Dak, I would to.  But you can't stop Zeke.

6 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Not sure why you guys are so cocky here and in your GDT about Elliott.  You shut him down in his very first career game.  Ill give you that.  But everyone knows Zeke took a bit to settle in.  By the time the 2nd game rolled around Zeke put up over 100 yards on your great run D and had 4.5 YPC. As I screamed at the TV for more run plays(story of all last year).  

You didn't stop Zeke.  You stopped Dak.  Be cocky as hell about Dak, I would to.  But you can't stop Zeke.

They allowed 3.6 yards per rush last year.  Tied for second best in the league. The Giants defense is probably the best equipped team to stop the Cowboys running game in the  league.  They have the beef to matchup with the Cowboys O-line, and the physicality of Collins helps.  I'm really excited to see Goodson at MLB as well.

•  
  • Veteran Members
  • 8,308 posts

Not really worried about our "inexperienced" secondary.  Not really seeing the inexperience.  As far as I know, Orlando Scandrick is our starting CB and team captain.  Not sure how you can call him inexperienced when I've been typing that f'd up name on this site for close to a decade.  Opposite him you have a 7 year vet; 30 year old Nolan Carroll.  Carroll has his issues but not playing in the NFL long enough isn't one of them.   Same thing could be said for Byron Jones.  Sure he is younger than Caroll but he's no rookie anymore. We have drafted 25 different guys since Jones was selected in the 1st round, and he is going into his 3rd year. NYG Landon Collins seems to think that's plenty enough time to get results. I don't consider Byron Jones a puppy anymore. If he is playing poor it's just poor play. Then we have Anthony Brown who is young, but he had a fantastic rookie year and is poised more for a follow up year than a growing pains season. And finally Jeff Heath, who maybe hasn't ever been penciled in as the starter before, but he isn't a rookie either.  This is his 4th year in the league, he's 26, and he comes in 2017 with plenty of playoff experience, having 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass def, and 1 INT in 3 career playoff games.  It's not like he is a wide eyed rookie out there.

Well that means at CB  we have Scandrick.....  sure trust him a lot not to make errors..  Heath won't make many errors of omission but can misjudge badly when he is playing deep safety .. I DO NOT trust Carroll as he has very little time in OUR SYSTEM and looked BAD in the preseason film I watched.. sure JONES and Brown are can be great but they also can get out of position at times especially JONES. Also this unit has not much time working together, that is why I say inexperience...    as a group this is their FIRST game and as I understand it Awuzi is probabley gonna get a lot of time on the field.. he got ZERO time in games  yeah a lot of inexperience here.  That means Carroll, Jones Brown and Heath gotta figure out how to work together for the first time in LIVE game action. IT will help with out OBJ as Scandrick will then cover Sheppard in the slot ..  and Brown will be on Engram I image.. that leaves a group that has ZERO time working together to cover Marshall.. which might work out. But yes this is one of my major worries.

My next would be Dak pressing too much leading to mistakes then our DL giving up too much in the running game but I have liked Pea in the middle from what I have seen and heard. Payton rarely gets sacked even against a good rushing team and I think our DL is good enough to move him off his spot which is enough with Payton.

9 hours ago, Jlash said:

Anthony Brown was fantastic last year?

Not compared to the top 3 CBs in the league.  I just said he had a fantastic rookie year.  Which, as d82 noted, for a 6th rd. Pick ... he did.  He in fact caused Scandrick to get benched while healthy last year and chirp at Jason Garrett about it.  Brown was probably our best tackling DB outside Church and Wilcox last year as well.  He had some bumps no doubt but again, for a 6th round pick?  I am more excited about his 2nd year than I am nervous.  And it sounds like he is our 3rd CB off the bench, behind 2 guys who have been in the league close to a decade.  

THEN our 2 rooks.

Not saying they are elite talent.  Just that inexperience wont be the issue.

Regardless, dating back to the Broncos.  Brandon Marshall always kills us.  Always.  

You guys want me to throw a gif of Marshall against the ultra experienced Terrence Newman up?

I will.

9 hours ago, Gmen said:

They allowed 3.6 yards per rush last year.  Tied for second best in the league. The Giants defense is probably the best equipped team to stop the Cowboys running game in the  league.  They have the beef to matchup with the Cowboys O-line, and the physicality of Collins helps.  I'm really excited to see Goodson at MLB as well.

I can't argue with any of that.  

It's just the whole:

"We held Elliott to less than 80 YPG last year, who cares if he plays week 1!?  We shut him down last year." thing.... is misleading.

I mean, some poor new Giants fan is going to be really upset when you guys aren't stuffing him at the line every play after reading that.

He was a little stiff game 1 and didn't do much outside the TD run, but was 4.5 YPC game 2, with a 15 yard pop.

You guys gave up an average of 88 rushing yards per game last year. 

Tell me, where does Zeke's 107 yards on 24 carries in game two, rank among the rest of the backs you faced last year? 

Maybe that should be more of a focus than how much Snacks Harrison completely shut Zeke down last year. Js

Archived