OTA/Mini-camp Thread

ReggieCamp

25 minutes ago, mistakey said:

except for the formation often dictates success running the ball - and its usually out of pass friendly formations.  its a ll about number of dudes in the box.  and if youre in that passing formation and your QB has 70% completion rate and they have too many dudes in the box, a checkdown will likely succeed more than getting stuffed.

It’s almost like there’s a reason QB’s audible plays at the LoS......

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

except for the formation often dictates success running the ball - and its usually out of pass friendly formations.  its a ll about number of dudes in the box.  and if youre in that passing formation and your QB has 70% completion rate and they have too many dudes in the box, a checkdown will likely succeed more than getting stuffed.

I don’t think anyone’s advocating for only running the ball in the 4th quarter. Just that if you have a good run game, mixing in a bunch of run plays to help keep the clock rolling is a pretty accepted paradigm.

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

This is why the Rams led the NFL last year in 4 WR and Trips WR formations. It also helps if you have a RB like Gurley that you can put in the slot/catch passes out of the backfield with LB mismatches. Seriously, someone should really look at signing Kareem Hunt.

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is why the Rams led the NFL last year in 4 WR and Trips WR formations. It also helps if you have a RB like Gurley that you can put in the slot/catch passes out of the backfield with LB mismatches. Seriously, someone should really look at signing Kareem Hunt.

Or a guy like Chubb.

1 minute ago, sonny44 said:

Or a guy like Chubb.

The Chubb/Hunt/Duke trio should be very solid, albeit Duke's value drastically decreased as soon as we traded for/extended Jarvis Landry last year IMO.

50 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The Chubb/Hunt/Duke trio should be very solid, albeit Duke's value drastically decreased as soon as we traded for/extended Jarvis Landry last year IMO.

Best RBs in the NFL 😃

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We will run the wishbone in the 4th quarter of games so it will be run heavy, sorry pass happy people.

It’s the one reason why I think Baker won’t put up crazy stats or be an MVP cause he will lack the stats. Feel like if the Browns enter the mid 3rd Q or 4th Q with the lead, they might try to just beat teams down with Chubb and Hunt. You know how much it will suck as a defense, having to run around and chase Landry OBJ Callaway and Higgins for 2.5 quarters to then get stuck trying to stop/slow down Chubb and Hunt. Their plan every 4th Q should be to rotate those two every new set of downs 

28 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It’s the one reason why I think Baker won’t put up crazy stats or be an MVP cause he will lack the stats. Feel like if the Browns enter the mid 3rd Q or 4th Q with the lead, they might try to just beat teams down with Chubb and Hunt. You know how much it will suck as a defense, having to run around and chase Landry OBJ Callaway and Higgins for 2.5 quarters to then get stuck trying to stop/slow down Chubb and Hunt. Their plan every 4th Q should be to rotate those two every new set of downs 

That was my thought in my original post; that Baker is not likely to throw for 5000 yards.  May he prove me wrong!!!

6 hours ago, mistakey said:

People don’t realize that wide open, spread offenses made running the ball extremely easy.

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

People don’t realize that wide open, spread offenses made running the ball extremely easy.

Depends if you have the back for that kind of style tho. I don’t know if it’s made it easier, it was just another style variation to run the ball.

urbz prior to tOSU really struggled to produce a legit running attack that wasn’t a QB. I think his best runners were always his QBs until he got to tOSU

Took him 12 years to fine a RB who could produce out of his spread system. Then he went on a hot streak and had one every year since he got his first 1k rusher. 

Yeah at some aspects it easier to run be ball cause you have less men in the box but you also eliminate less holes and gave the defense less responsibility. Now the RPO evolution is change all that stuff again 

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

You missed one. If the receiver catches the ball and runs backwards to get out of bounds the clock does not stop. If the WR stops trying to get forward progress to just get out of bounds the clock still runs 

Thanks for the catch...no pun intended.

10 hours ago, mistakey said:

Agree it's D formation driven.

I view a checkdown as an extension of the run-first strategy.

The point being that it makes more sense to run (or emulate a run with a quick-hitting or checkdown pass) than it does to open up the passing game at all, if your objective is to eat clock.

17 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We will run the wishbone in the 4th quarter of games so it will be run heavy, sorry pass happy people.

Have Callaway at QB and count me in, that would be so much an f u to these teams, not only do they have to practice for or regular offense, but they have to spend time practicing against this, teams are going to be pissed.

Archived