2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

59 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Only team that was competitive against the Raptors all playoffs. One shot and they win that series.

Completely false but carry on. If you don't think the ECF was highly competitive, you're on something. 

Also a completely different team now. 

26 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I think they got significantly worse, SHRUG

Agreed

Brett Brown has his work cut out for him. Like I said the other day, that offense is going to be brutal. Gonna be plenty of stagnant possessions. Not a fan of the fits. Two bigs that do exactly the same things, a PG that can't shoot, a stretch 4 at the 3 who is primarily an isolation player and an inconsistent 3&D wing (27 games last season of sub 15 pt scoring including 9 single digit games compared to 20 and 5 for Redick). 

Butler and Redick were better for the Sixers, both period and fit wise, than Richardson and Horford. 

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Al cant easily be a stretch 4. He doesnt move like the Blakes or Gianis of the world, but its not the end of the world. Elite back to the backboard skills is still viable in today's NBA. Despite that, his job isnt to score, its EVERYTHING else. That is his best utilization and the sixers are in prime position to make that work. 

Horford is a career 36% 3P shooter with a very low volume of attempts (0.5 3P made per game). Playing next to another big that's just an average to below average shooter, both are suited to be 5's and create defensive mismatches as a 5. Now Horford is going to be defending the perimeter almost exclusively and will be a glorified spot up shooter on offense even though he has never been a high volume 3 point shooter. 

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The first 2 guys shot a combined high 36% from 3 last year.

• Want to guess at the career averages of the 2 guys who will replace them?
  • Also, why would they not dish to Harris as well?
  • Or pass to Embiid for a monster dunk?

Their spacing will be similar to last year and their defense will be incredible.

They are the best team in the East right now, even if Kawhi returns to Toronto.

If you want a hideous shooting team that will have no spacing... try the Lakers.

Redick is an elite shooter and he will be missed tremendously. He made more 3's last season than Horford and Richardson combined and shot the 3 at a higher clip than both guys. Butler is one of the most dynamic wings in the league and was the main reason that Toronto series went 7 games. Again, spacing isn't just about having spot up shooters. They lost an elite shooter and an elite wing on the perimeter and replaced them with a center who's an okay shooter and a glorified role player who put up okay numbers on meh efficiency because Miami had no one else to score. Horford was a mismatch at the 5 because of his skill-set but do you really want him chasing smaller players around every night? 

Harris didn't shoot the ball well in Philadelphia and that could be due to the system and the fact that teams can sag off of other guys because they know he's one of the few shooters on the court. 

Not sure how spacing will be similar to last years considering everything that I said above. You'll see next season. Teams had to close out hard on Butler and Redick, Horford and Richardson won't be 50% of what those two were on the offensive end. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Butler and Redick were better for the Sixers, both period and fit wise, than Richardson and Horford. 

People are just writing it off like it won't have any impact on their offense or spacing. Butler commands defensive attention, he's legit one of the best offensive players in the league. You're replacing him with a glorified role player that put up so-so numbers for a bad Miami team. Redick was legit one of the few elite shooters in the league and you're replacing him with an aging center that is a career 36% 3P shooter on 0.5 makes per game. Not to mention Simmons is a non-shooter, Embiid is a meh shooter, and Harris only shot 32% from deep with Philadelphia. I also think they're really going to miss having another perimeter player that could get his own bucket and score off the bounce. They don't really have that anymore. Simmons doesn't really score, Harris isn't really a playmaker, and Richardson is meh. 

Cris Carter said Kawhi isn't making a decision today and would be surprised if he makes one before 4th of July. 

So be prepared for 10000000 more reports of what folks are "hearing" and where Kawhi is "leaning" at the moment smh. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:
6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Al cant easily be a stretch 4. He doesnt move like the Blakes or Gianis of the world, but its not the end of the world. Elite back to the backboard skills is still viable in today's NBA. Despite that, his job isnt to score, its EVERYTHING else. That is his best utilization and the sixers are in prime position to make that work. 

Horford is a career 36% 3P shooter with a very low volume of attempts (0.5 3P made per game). Playing next to another big that's just an average to below average shooter, both are suited to be 5's and create defensive mismatches as a 5. Now Horford is going to be defending the perimeter almost exclusively and will be a glorified spot up shooter on offense even though he has never been a high volume 3 point shooter. 

Did you... did you read my post?

Just now, seminoles1 said:

So are some of the 3rd tier guys waiting to see if the Lakers whiff on Kawhi and hope they overpay for whatever's left?

Marcus Morris definitely is as he probably knows if the Lakers don't get Kawhi, he will get a solid contract from them.

Green may be waiting on Kawhi to see if he wants to re-sign with Toronto or come to Dallas.

The rest? Par for course as they usually go after three or four days of free agency. 

9 hours ago, Lodestar said:

He's quoted in the article I linked saying it. I liked Lou a lot during his time here, and he seemed to enjoy himself too (even got himself name-dropped in a Drake song). Him changing is tune on that podcast recently is either a recruiting tactic or hurt feelings or both. I'm sure a lot of players have reservations about playing in Canada, but the majority of them seem to embrace the city once they're here. Kawhi had a year to experience the city and said in an interview it was the most fun year he's ever had playing basketball.

I'm not saying LA and a few other American cities don't compare, more responding to this idea from American media that Toronto is some kind of frozen wasteland. It's the third-largest city in North America, incredibly diverse, and offers a fanbase of 35+ million when you take into account all of Canada.

Thats interesting and I wouldnt have thought that. Thanks for that info. I've never been there, but am sure Toronto's a great city. Being from the NorthEast - I'm accustomed to (and value) city life. My impression of William's comments wasnt so much a dig on the city as the lifestyle differences between the two countries.....but its not a big deal to me either way. Individuals are gonna find (and settle) in the digs that fit them. 

7 hours ago, The LBC said:

Harrell has come off the bench at the 5 rather effectively last season.  We extended a qualifying offer to Zubac today, so at minimum we're able to match whatever he's offered by another team.  Angel Delgado is gravy at this point but he was making mincemeat of the G-League last season.  And Doc has always - it seems ( @MookieMonstah can confirm or deny back to his time in Boston) has always played with an undersized center, as long as he has other stretch-4's on the floor with them.  Ultimately Morris is a better fit for what we do at both ends of the court.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh......the Clippers. Who cares about them anyway?  :)

Archived