2019 NBA Finals - (1) Golden State Warriors vs (2) Toronto Raptors (TOR leads 3-2)

beekay414

3 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Gotta play game 5 like game 7. They are the champs. Can’t overlook anything. Just finish them. 

Absolutely.  Losing Game 5 is how you give the Dubs life.   The hopeful sign for TOR was how they reacted after the game.   After Game 1, it was a ton of celebration.   Game 4, it's was completely business-like.   The Raps know GS isn't going to hand them the title, and the worst thing you can do is give a great team new life.   

I really questioned playing Ibaka so much other than to give Gasol much-needed rest, given how crucial Gasol was on switches and assignments (he saved TOR's D vs. PHI and MIL and hit such crucial looks as the safety valve option).  But it can't be denied how much Ibaka's interior D has changed the complexion of the series the last 2 games.   He's basically exposed Cousins' lack of fitness and conditioning, and likely the rust coming back, and stabilized their rebounding when the Dubs had a +11 edge in boards (finished at +5 IIRC).    Crazy.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

But the actual calls tilted the other way. Toronto won the game. It wasn't that close. But I'm not trying to hear that GS benefited from the refs. I've been quite shocked with how bad it's been (both ways) during this series. There's no consistency with letting them play vs. calling it tight. 

Yup, entirely fair.   Game 3 was shockingly bad ref'ing because they were killing the flow of the game and potentially changing the outcome with foul trouble on both team for undeserved calls.   Tonight, they let them play tackle football, until about 4 mins left in the 3Q, and then were more normal, with a few blatant missed calls on both sides.  Either way, though, TOR earned Game 3-4, it's not even a Q who was the better team.   What's shocking is how many mistakes GS made and how many open looks they missed in crunch time.   That is what you see from GS' opposition.   Plus the fact TOR shot 96 percent from the charity stripe, and it was GS who was really meh.  That shows a lack of composure and concentration that is just so unlike GS.

Still, it can all swing back in a game - so game 5 has to be treated like a game 7 with TOR.   Killer instinct is what they need, and they showed it tonight after being gifted the 1H.    You have to believe even if KD is only 80-85 percent, he's going to try and play game 5.   Unless it's a hidden injury like the Achilles, a true Grade 2 would be just under 5 weeks on Monday.   So the chances seem a lot better.    Right now, a 80-85 percent KD would be miles better than the 5th guy GS has out there now in their rotation, Cook had the game of his career on Game 2, but he was putrid tonight.   

KD returning for Game 5 is what everyone wants to see from a drama/entertainment perspective.   Monday night will be insane if he's returning (it will be nuts anyways, but a KD return would be right out of Hollywood script-wise).

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

also nick nurse has been money this series

Nurse's adjustments in the MIL series and this Finals have been eye-opening.  

Going big-big against GS with Klay on fire is such an against-the-book move, but it worked beautifully tonight.   And that switch to zone+1 just baffled the O.    Curry went from MJ mode in Game 3 to MJ Parker mode tonight.    On a night where Klay looked he could have put up 40+ easily, Curry's very human performance really is a testament to how Nurse schemed up great perimeter chase and also eliminated the back cuts TOR was giving up in game 2 and early in game 3.  

I only watch the Raps being this is my 4th sport, but this extended playoff run has given me an appreciation for Nurse's development as a coach.   Kerr has earned his rep as one of the top 2-3, if not the top - but Nurse outcoached him tonight.    That 3Q was all about TOR's scheme and execution outclassing GS's, after a 1H where GS should have run TOR out of the building (but again, full credit to that suffocating D).

If TOR has 1 more suffocating-level D game left, then yeah, the crown is theirs.   But I'd imagine we'll see #35 there on Monday.

22 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

putting drayond in the pnr or guarding kawhi is money for the raps because the help is all smaller players (and obviously a lot worse at helping than draymond)

also nick nurse has been money this series

Obviously, KD is the adjustment. If he's back, he can play the help defender role like Draymond. There's nobody else who fills that void well on GS.

I will say this, when the Cubs & Sox got their 1st win, I was glad for their fanbase, those were pretty awful curses to live with.

But really, it pales in comparison to how Drake must be feeling tonight.  1 game away, he must be so proud.  xD

40 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Absolutely.  Losing Game 5 is how you give the Dubs life.   The hopeful sign for TOR was how they reacted after the game.   After Game 1, it was a ton of celebration.   Game 4, it's was completely business-like.   The Raps know GS isn't going to hand them the title, and the worst thing you can do is give a great team new life.   

I really questioned playing Ibaka so much other than to give Gasol much-needed rest, given how crucial Gasol was on switches and assignments (he saved TOR's D vs. PHI and MIL and hit such crucial looks as the safety valve option).  But it can't be denied how much Ibaka's interior D has changed the complexion of the series the last 2 games.   He's basically exposed Cousins' lack of fitness and conditioning, and likely the rust coming back, and stabilized their rebounding when the Dubs had a +11 edge in boards (finished at +5 IIRC).    Crazy.

It’s wild. I love that from the team. We haven’t won anything yet mentality is exactly what we need to have right now. Just gotta keep going on to the next one. 

Ibaka really has been huge the last game and a half. He was worrisome but he really made a huge impact on both ends. That off the dribble move was nuts I couldn’t believe he could do that. Just love this right now. 

28 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I will say this, when the Cubs & Sox got their 1st win, I was glad for their fanbase, those were pretty awful curses to live with.

But really, it pales in comparison to how Drake must be feeling tonight.  1 game away, he must be so proud.  xD

Drake sucks. I don't know why anybody would root for that dude.

7 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Drake is what we would all love to be. Wild and crazy fan that sits court side at all these big games. People hate him bc they wish they had that kind of opportunity.

Pretty much this.. Toronto fans have no problem with Drake. I think he's amusing and good for the brand in Toronto

31 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Drake sucks. I don't know why anybody would root for that dude.

The internet really needs a sarcasm icon.

That said, his curse was kind of overblown.  It was overdue for a correction lol.

Archived