OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

17 minutes ago, Danand said:

My mistake, there are still so many "Ravens won't pass at all this season" posts on twitter and by fans, I never know what to believe

And Reddit. Any fantasyFootball or non-Ravens subreddit posts that feature ANYTHING about the Ravens offense, 99% of the posts are:

"Lamar can't throw"

"Lamar is a RB"

"Lamar sucks"

"That offense isn't going to throw anyways so this is pointless"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And Reddit. Any fantasyFootball or non-Ravens subreddit posts that feature ANYTHING about the Ravens offense, 99% of the posts are:

"Lamar can't throw"

"Lamar is a RB"

"Lamar sucks"

"That offense isn't going to throw anyways so this is pointless"

It's so bad, I don't even know why I bother reading Lamar Jackson threads.

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

50% of Ravens threads are people trashing on Lamar.

The other 50% are "Lamar is 100% winning us a Superbowl this year!"

There's literally no middle ground, it seems.

I just hate when people who've only see highlights comment like they've watched every single Ravens game. But, that's the internet. Ravens fans WANTED us to pass more towards the end of the year.

26 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I just hate when people who've only see highlights comment like they've watched every single Ravens game. But, that's the internet. Ravens fans WANTED us to pass more towards the end of the year.

Sounds about right. Some guy on Reddit was like "Lamar sucked last year he can't throw the Ravens offense will only be running the ball so whatever you do, don't draft Mark Andrews (in fantasy)" and I responded saying how Andrews is trending upwards and should be a nice security blanket for our passing game this year. Dude told me to actually watch a Ravens game and see how bad Lamar was. That's when I knew there was no winning the battle. And keep in mind my freaking reddit username is AFlaccoSeagulls....

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Our tight ends are monsters example #3,476. Hayden's focus is a cheat code. It's like the ball moves in slow motion for him.

I’m actually more a fan of that rep for Elliot. That was excellent defense there. With Hurst, the difference between him and Mandrews is clear. Hurst has a lot more burst and athleticism, but his hand fighting is very underdeveloped.

Andrews looked very much like Mike Evans there by being able to create separation and then attack the ball in the air, whereas Hurst waited for the ball to arrive. He needs to focus this training camp on improving his push off so that it looks natural, isn’t called for OPI, and allows him better position to attack the ball in the air.

If against an overly aggressive SS/LB, Hurst will likely eat him alive with his burst and double move, but he needs more to physicality at the POA to be a game in-game out reliable target.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Sounds about right. Some guy on Reddit was like "Lamar sucked last year he can't throw the Ravens offense will only be running the ball so whatever you do, don't draft Mark Andrews (in fantasy)" and I responded saying how Andrews is trending upwards and should be a nice security blanket for our passing game this year. Dude told me to actually watch a Ravens game and see how bad Lamar was. That's when I knew there was no winning the battle. And keep in mind my freaking reddit username is AFlaccoSeagulls....

Yeah even Mike Vick back in the day had Alge Crumpler (sp). Even if Jackson isn’t the passer we hope and that he looks to have developed to be (based off his increased fundamentals, spirals, and accuracy) he will still throw the ball some. Last year is literally his floor and Andrews with Jackson at QB had what 425 receiving yards in that second half of the year? With a full season together I can’t see him not reaching 700 yds+ outside of injury playing a factor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m actually more a fan of that rep for Elliot. That was excellent defense there.

I saw it different. Hurst creates clear separation, then comes back for a ball that should have been thrown in front of him and to his outside shoulder. Elliot never even really sees the ball. He just, to his credit, tries to position himself for where he thinks the ball will be. Hayden's elite tracking and focus allows him to see it the whole way, he then pops the ball back to himself away from DeShon, and runs in for the TD. It's a pretty clear W for Hurst imo. Against a lesser talent Elliot would've saved the rep though.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I saw it different. Hurst creates clear separation, then comes back for a ball that should have been thrown in front of him and to his outside shoulder. Elliot never even really sees the ball. He just, to his credit, tries to position himself for where he thinks the ball will be. Hayden's elite tracking and focus allows him to see it the whole way, he then pops the ball back to himself away from DeShon, and runs in for the TD. It's a pretty clear W for Hurst imo. Against a lesser talent Elliot would've saved the rep though.

True. But I also have to be realistic. While a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees could deliver those perfectly dimed balls, often a TE is the guy who is going to have to clean up for the QB.

By allowing the ball to come to him, Hurst allots an opportunity for him to catch the pass in stride for the score, but by not attacking the ball in that situation, he is forced to attempt a lower percentage reception. He pulls off the impossible and sticks the landing with that awesome grab, but with a better push off and attacking the ball at the catch point as we see with Andrews rep, he creates a better likelihood of pulling in the reception. He also creates separation right as the ball comes his way to make his receptions much less trying.

The thing about crazy receptions is, generally it means there was great coverage on the play. Hurst didn’t have a terrible rep, I just think he has an obvious hole in his game that if he fills could really benefit him moving forward.

How did this dude not get knocked out? He probably took a spot away from someone who actually would've appreciated being able to attend. Clown show.

---The guy who heckles at training camp: It's tough to call anyone a "loser" at this time of year, but it's safe to break out the L-word for the dude at Ravens camp last week yelling things like "Where are you throwing the ball?" at Lamar Jackson during practice. Life is too short to heckle in July, even if you have a miserable home life.

(In fairness, that guy was the exception at a Ravens practice that included more clapping and chanting than any camp practice I've ever been to.)----

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I don’t know who it was in that podcast in the article, but at least SOMEONE acknowledged how little/how much people should base their arguments on about Lamar and the Ravens offense based on the Ravens Chargers playoff game.

46 minutes ago, Danand said:

I don’t know who it was in that podcast in the article, but at least SOMEONE acknowledged how little/how much people should base their arguments on about Lamar and the Ravens offense based on the Ravens Chargers playoff game.

Yup, everyone ignores how awful the entire offense was and puts the blame on Jackson. Maybe 5 QBs could have overcome that OL performance. Man, I hope we have a great week 1 so I can dance on some graves who think we're just gonna trot out the same offense.

Edited by M.10.E