OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

Seems to be less about something Kenny is doing wrong and more about how high the coaching staff is on Board. It's the first day of training camp though, obviously they have plenty of time and opportunity to battle it out for the starting job. The last two UDFA ILB's we fast-tracked were Orr and Peanut so I trust the coaches if they're getting excited about Board. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

I wouldn't read into it too much. They move players around a bunch at this stage. Especially in the case of someone like Board, who is going to come into significant time this season. We're likely only going to carry 3 LBs and with Board being being one of them, he needs to be ready. It's no different than last year when we would see Kenny "start" over Peanut at camp on certain days. It's all part of the acclimation process, and the coaches want a platoon at WILB again with Young-Board and our bevy our Safeties that can sub down.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/07/25/camp-notes/new-look-lamar-jackson-solid-on-day-1/

To your point @diamondbull424

--The first noticeable difference about Lamar Jackson is the tight spiral he puts on the ball.

Next, his footwork has vastly improved.

Third, Jackson did a solid job finding receivers running along the sidelines and in the middle of the field.

There were some hiccups, namely an interception in the red zone by safety Chuck Clark, and some wobbly throws on deep balls.

In the end, Jackson had an encouraging first day of training camp.--

--The tight ends got plenty of work with Hayden Hurst perhaps having the most impressive day with a number of acrobatic catches. Mark Andrews was also characteristically reliable and Nick Boyle is already showing he can be a force this season. The tight ends also lined up outside as wide receivers in another wrinkle to the offense. --

--Hayden Hurst and safety DeShon Elliott got into a minor shoving match after an incomplete pass in the middle of the field. Nothing escalated as both players walked away. Cornerback Tavon Young blitzed past the defensive line and was in the backfield for what have been an easy sack on Jackson.--

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

--The tight ends got plenty of work with Hayden Hurst perhaps having the most impressive day with a number of acrobatic catches. Mark Andrews was also characteristically reliable and Nick Boyle is already showing he can be a force this season. The tight ends also lined up outside as wide receivers in another wrinkle to the offense. --

I knew it! I posted this a month ago. Glad to see I was right. It's a tactic that will serve us well. I think we'll see Hurst, Andrews, and Boyle on the field at the same time quite frequently. 

On 6/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, DreamKid said:

- Greg mentioned us employing some non traditional Tight End looks. Which, spoiler alert, should include a lot of WR looks for them. That's my guess. They did some of it last year, and both Hayden & Mark are former Wide Receivers. It gets strong blocking on the perimeter and can create some severe mismatches. 

With all reports about throwing interceptions and catching interceptions, we should remember QB's and DB's take chances in training camp they wouldn't in a game. For instance Lamar would likely throw the ball out of bounds instead of throwing across his body.

Early days of TC but nice to read he has improved his mechanics. We want him in the mold of Russell Wilson/Deshaun Watson and not the 2018 Lamar-version if we want a healthy QB for the next 10 years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Danand said:

With all reports about throwing interceptions and catching interceptions, we should remember QB's and DB's take chances in training camp they wouldn't in a game. For instance Lamar would likely throw the ball out of bounds instead of throwing across his body.

Early days of TC but nice to read he has improved his mechanics. We want him in the mold of Russell Wilson/Deshaun Watson and not the 2018 Lamar-version if we want a healthy QB for the next 10 years.

Also the classic "is this good for the defense or bad for the offense?"