Redskins and Scherff working on contract extension

turtle28

I don’t think he’s a transcendent talent and I don’t think his play will match the level of the contract he ends up getting. With that said, I think @Woz hit the nail on the head that we’re not really in a position the make the tough business decision, so we should just pay him and hope he stays healthy.

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Hard to judge Roullier when he had replacement guards on both sides for the majority of last year.

Ah yes, the old arguement that he didnt have talent around him.

Which, frankly, makes my case for letting Scherff walk. You need talent across the board on the offensive line. Sinking so much into one position inhibits your ability to do this. That's a problem with a fading LT, and an injury prone RT.

8 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I don’t think he’s a transcendent talent and I don’t think his play will match the level of the contract he ends up getting. With that said, I think @Woz hit the nail on the head that we’re not really in a position the make the tough business decision, so we should just pay him and hope he stays healthy.

This is exactly the time to do it. You've signaled with your draft that you wont be competitive next season. Keep Haskins on the bench and keep building.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/andrew-norwell-14802/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/zack-martin-14425/

Is Brandon Scherff worth a contract in those ballparks? Because something akin to that is likely what they are likely having to pay to keep him.

For the record, Scherff this season is the third highest paid guard (due to his fifth year option). Both Martin and Norwell had very reasonable cap hits in year one ($6m and $5m) respectively before blooming to $14m and $16m this season (and essentially staying there for this year and three more), give or take a million.

I don't know. I can see both sides of the argument.

27 minutes ago, Woz said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/andrew-norwell-14802/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/zack-martin-14425/

Is Brandon Scherff worth a contract in those ballparks? Because something akin to that is likely what they are likely having to pay to keep him.

For the record, Scherff this season is the third highest paid guard (due to his fifth year option). Both Martin and Norwell had very reasonable cap hits in year one ($6m and $5m) respectively before blooming to $14m and $16m this season (and essentially staying there for this year and three more), give or take a million.

I don't know. I can see both sides of the argument.

I would just pay him.  He’s homegrown and still relatively young.  It’s sad but we don’t really have any other young players coming up for extensions that will warrant big paydays until John Allen, and we’ve got 2 years plus a 5th year option before that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would just pay him.  He’s homegrown and still relatively young.  It’s sad but we don’t really have any other young players coming up for extensions that will warrant big paydays until John Allen, and we’ve got 2 years plus a 5th year option before that.

Like I said, I can see both sides of the argument. You make great points here. The flip side is: is he worth that? Yes, it is a risk letting him walk (we all know what bad guard play looks like). But is it worth making a guard take up about 8-10% of your cap in a given year for the next four years or so?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Like I said, I can see both sides of the argument. You make great points here. The flip side is: is he worth that? Yes, it is a risk letting him walk (we all know what bad guard play looks like). But is it worth making a guard take up about 8-10% of your cap in a given year for the next four years or so?

I hear these arguments but cap is only worth saving if you need it for something else.  I don’t want to go nuts in FA anymore and we don’t have any big extensions coming up.

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Sorry, but I don't consider Top 10 draft picks to be "home grown."

13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I hear these arguments but cap is only worth saving if you need it for something else.  I don’t want to go nuts in FA anymore and we don’t have any big extensions coming up.

We're going to want significant cap space in the next three years. You're going to want to load a team around Haskins as quickly as possible.

The NFL's top offensive linemen in pure pass sets

6. G BRANDON SCHERFFWASHINGTON REDSKINS

Since being drafted in 2015, Brandon Scherff has quietly been rock solid on the interior offensive line for Washington, producing overall grades greater than 70.0 in his four seasons. Although his 2018 was cut short due to injury, he still went on to produce a career-best 84.0 pass-blocking grade, allowing nine total pressures on 301 pass-blocking snaps.

His 82.2 pass-blocking grade in pure passing sets was the best among all offensive guards last season. Getting Scherff back to 100% will be a major boost to the Redskins’ offensive line in 2019.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-top-pass-blockers-in-pure-pass-sets

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Sorry, but I don't consider Top 10 draft picks to be "home grown."

We're going to want significant cap space in the next three years. You're going to want to load a team around Haskins as quickly as possible.

Like surrounding him with Pro Bowl Olineman?

All-pro guards are a luxury. One the Redskins probably can't afford. New England has two "home grown" guards. The left guard was picked in the 3rd round and the right guard , the 4th round . They seem to protect the GOAT just fine .

It's business . A tough, hard , cold business. 

21 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

All-pro guards are a luxury. One the Redskins probably can't afford. New England has two "home grown" guards. The left guard was picked in the 3rd round and the right guard , the 4th round . They seem to protect the GOAT just fine .

It's business . A tough, hard , cold business. 

There's a difference between not paying a high cost for a guard protecting the GOAT, who makes up for his lack of mobility outside the pocket with elite pocket maneuverability and coverage-reading skills vs not paying a guard protecting your future, who has terrible mobility outside the pocket and is still learning the skills that make Brady so great.

My only issue with paying Scherrf is health-related, but I think I'd take that gamble, given Haskins' reliance on a clean pocket.  You have to protect your most precious asset at all costs.  Plus, you can spend more money than the Patriots do on guards since you have a QB on a rookie contract, and Smith will be off the books once the large cap hits start coming in from the Scherff contract.

Edited by HTTRG3Dynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

There's a difference between not paying a high cost for a guard protecting the GOAT, who makes up for his lack of mobility outside the pocket with elite pocket maneuverability and coverage-reading skills vs not paying a guard protecting your future, who has terrible mobility outside the pocket and is still learning the skills that make Brady so great.

My only issue with paying Scherrf is health-related, but I think I'd take that gamble, given Haskins' reliance on a clean pocket.  You have to protect your most precious asset at all costs.  Plus, you can spend more money than the Patriots do on guards since you have a QB on a rookie contract, and Smith will be off the books once the large cap hits start coming in from the Scherff contract.

WE,, have a Q B on a rookie contract . We do ! That's true we do !! We also have Smith on a Top 10 contract . I guess it depends on how they'd structure Scherffs new deal . Maybe it can work. I hope so If they go that route . 

Edited by RSkinGM