2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t know, just looking at completion % under pressure on 3rd down, and solely 3rd down, so it’s not exactly a great stat. 

But it seems both those sites agree with Tua being the best tight-window thrower in the league, so I really do feel his accuracy/ball placement is super top-tier, and people really overblow the supporting cast argument. 

How can that be overblown?  There is no debating he played on a semi pro team.  The 2 WR's that played behind Jeudy and Ruggs are projected top 15 picks next year, Top rated LT, his RB is projected in the 2nd round and his D was littered with 1st round talent.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

How can that be overblown?  There is no debating he played on a semi pro team.  The 2 WR's that played behind Jeudy and Ruggs are projected top 15 picks next year, his RB is projected in the 2nd round and his D was littered with 1st round talent.  

Because fans act is if he is automatically discredited because of his cast. He can put it right on the money, in a tight window. He’s super good at that. And Jeudy/Ruggs are not aggressive WRs that are gonna “bail him out” with contested catches. He puts it where only his WR can catch it. 

It’s a concern. But also overblown by Anti-Tua guys. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Because fans act is if he is automatically discredited because of his cast. He can put it right on the money, in a tight window. He’s super good at that. And Jeudy/Ruggs are not aggressive WRs that are gonna “bail him out” with contested catches. He puts it where only his WR can catch it. 

It’s a concern. But also overblown by Anti-Tua guys. 

You're focused on one faucet of his game and let's say that what you are claiming is true does that make him an elite QB "top 3 overall prospect".  I don't think so.

Does he have a cannon...  nope, does he have elite intelligence or and elite ability to read D's... nope.  Elite mobility... nope.  Yet he is an elite prospect?  What am I missing?  

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

How can that be overblown?  There is no debating he played on a semi pro team.  The 2 WR's that played behind Jeudy and Ruggs are projected top 15 picks next year, his RB is projected in the 2nd round and his D was littered with 1st round talent.  

Historically is there any correlation with QB success in the NFL and the quality of their supporting cast?

Do you have this same criticism of Burrow? Would seem to apply.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

Historically is there any correlation with QB success in the NFL and the quality of their supporting cast?

Do you have this same criticism of Burrow? Would seem to apply.

Yes Burrows cast is quite similar. OL is worse, but he has the best WR out of both teams, Jamar Chase, future Top 10 Pick. Justin Jefferson 1st Round Pick. And Joe Brady is the biggest genius we have seen passing concept wise, maybe ever, at least in one singular season. Tuas OL and Joe Brady basically become a wash. Not to mention CEH is milessss better than any RB on Alabama.

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Yet he is an elite prospect?  What am I missing?  

His RESUME. QBs are judged on physical attributes the least of any other position group.

He put up big time numbers, in big time games, at a national powerhouse. Agree or not, that makes him an elite QB prospect in most scouting circles.

Edited by StocktonSav

1 minute ago, StocktonSav said:

His RESUME. QBs are judged on physical attributes the least of any other position group.

He put up big time numbers, in big time games, at a national powerhouse. Agree or not, that makes him an elite QB prospect in most scouting circles.

They are?  Arm strength or lack thereof isn't a concern?  Come on man? 

Intelligence is key as well and the 13 wonderlic turned in by Tua is terrible.  Let's say that Tua had above average mobility before the injury, there is a chance he may never get back to 100 percent.  You guys are making it sound like he is some can't miss elite prospect and he clearly is not.  His success will depend on supporting cast and if he lands on a team like NE he has a chance for success if he ends up in Miami or Washington he will bust.  I hope he ends up in Miami so we can see how this elite "top 3 talent" can play QB in the NFL with no surrounding cast. 

• Like 1

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

Intelligence is key as well and the 13 wonderlic turned in by Tua is terrible.  Let's say that Tua had above average mobility before the injury, there is a chance he may never get back to 100 percent.  You guys are making it sound like he is some can't miss elite prospect and he clearly is not.  His success will depend on supporting cast and if he lands on a team like NE he has a chance for success if he ends up in Miami or Washington he will bust.  I hope he ends up in Miami so we can see how this elite "top 3 talent" can play QB in the NFL with no surrounding cast. 

You realize Burrow's arm isn't that great right? Burrow and Tua have similar arm strength. Herbert, Love, Eason, and Hurts are way, way ahead of Burrow and Tua in arm strength.

However, Burrow and Tuas arm are still plenty good enough for the NFL. Point is, you can't use the arm excuse against Tua, unless you use it against Burrow as well.

15 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I said "the least" not "not at all." Obviously arm strength and other relevant attributes matter. But do you care about bench press reps or vertical? Not particularly. 

You guys are making it sound like he is some can't miss elite prospect and he clearly is not.

Not my contention. There is no such thing as a cant miss prospect. Thats an oxymoron. Its merely a projection. An educated guess. I was merely stating my opinion why he is a top level (elite) prospect. 

His success will depend on supporting cast

This literally applies to every single rookie QB. No exceptions. Even for Luck who you seem to regard as the poster child for an elite QB prospect. His "supprorting cast" got him a broken body and early retirement. 

Also, I personally dont put much stock in the Wonderlic. Its a useless mechanism for evaluating football intelligence. At best it can confirm low intelligence if there is other practical evidence of that fact. But certainly not on its own

Edited by StocktonSav

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You realize Burrow's arm isn't that great right? Burrow and Tua have similar arm strength. Herbert, Love, Eason, and Hurts are way, way ahead of Burrow and Tua in arm strength.

However, Burrow and Tuas arm are still plenty good enough for the NFL. Point is, you can't use the arm excuse against Tua, unless you use it against Burrow as well.

I couldn't tell you the first thing about Burrow or intelligently comment in his game.  Every mock I have seen has him locked in at #1 and if the Raiders have zero chance of landing a player I spend zero time researching anything about that player.

Just found this guy Jason Huntley, RB New Mexico State. I never heard of him before, but came across that we actually went to his pro-day before things shut down and he is a 4.3x RB that isn't a significant draft capital pick. He has a lot of spinning start stop stuff on his highlight reel on Youtube and is a fun watch if anyones bored.

• Like 2

Just now, Trojan said:

Just found this guy Jason Huntley, RB New Mexico State. I never heard of him before, but came across that we actually went to his pro-day before things shut down and he is a 4.3x RB that isn't a significant draft capital pick. He has a lot of spinning start stop stuff on his highlight reel on Youtube and is a fun watch if anyones bored.

I’ll give him a look, sounds interesting. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Not if Johnson develops, Lawson takes a step up, we draft a corner from the lower 1st to the 3rd rd range and we sign a vet after the draft like Worley.

That's a lot of ifs?

You're assuming we'll get 2 good starters from a draft pick, journeyman starter who's never been more than mediocre, 2nd year player who hasn't done anything, and resigning Worley who was average at best. 

I envy your optimism but I see CB as a dire need. I think anything less than 2 day 1/2 picks on corner is not enough.