Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

12 hours ago, Abe56 said:

highly disagree 

only slam dunk guys i think are better is Young and Epenesa

With the right offseason, could of easily slid to that 3rd edge spot

I'm biased..., but there's no way I take him over YGM.

Also I think in 2021 it's too early to assume Tyreke Smith to be that high up there. He hasn't done anything at all yet and was a 4-star recruit. Obviously playing at Ohio State helps, but lets not just slap a first round label on him for playing at Ohio State.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:13 AM, jrry32 said:

I watched some of the guys currently projected to go on Day 2 recently. From what I saw, Curtis Weaver is very underrated. He looks like a first round pick to me. Has speed and power. Advanced and varied pass rush plans. Great hand usage. Isn't overly bendy, but he has enough to corner. Jonathan Greenard was underwhelming compared to watching him in games without focusing on him. Thought his physical tools were pretty meh. Smart player. Technically sound. But I don't see the upside I thought he had.

On the flip side, I see a lot of upside in Jabari Zuniga. He has the traits, but there are some inconsistencies in his game standing in the way right now. Namely, he needs to develop more advanced pass rush plans and secondary moves, and he needs to get off the ball quicker more consistently. But he has an explosive get-off, great closing speed, the ability to get skinny through gaps, and a legit power game. The tools are there for him to be a legitimate three-down EDGE. 

Darrell Taylor from Tennessee was also a pleasant surprise. He needs to get stronger, but he has potential as a 3-4 OLB. Kind of similar to Christian Miller last year. Intriguing tools as a pass rusher with the ability to drop into coverage and flashes against the run. On the flip side, I didn't see it with Charles Snowden, Anfernee Jennings, or Terrell Lewis in my first run through their film. But I want to see more of Snowden for sure.

Watched Weaver vs. FSU, and it was an immense letdown. I need to watch more of his 2019 games. He didn't seem to have any explosiveness. Had a nice get-off in 2018. That wasn't there against FSU. Wonder if he put on weight. Will wait and see if that problem is a constant in his 2019 film.

21 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

Zach Baun seems to be gaining some traction as a day 2 pick. He’s a little undersized but his play speaks for itself, I’d take him over Willekes any day.

Not a fan. Undersized, not strong, his instincts are lacking, spends half the plays readjusting his half sleeve. Just don’t wear it. Literally didn’t join in on a tackle as he stopped short and was using his other hand to pull it back up. Gets pushed around in the run game. I know he had a very productive season but I just don’t see much there at the next level.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, Abe56 said:

highly disagree 

only slam dunk guys i think are better is Young and Epenesa

With the right offseason, could of easily slid to that 3rd edge spot

You think Carlos Basham is better than Yetur Gross-Matos and Curtis Weaver, that is flat out insane to me but will see.  I think it is without any question this DE class is much deeper and better than the 2021 class.  

Hamilcar Rashed Oregon State RS JR OLB who had 14 sacks this year is returning to college, it is not always a bad thing to return to school.  

23 hours ago, Danger said:

Also I think in 2021 it's too early to assume Tyreke Smith to be that high up there. He hasn't done anything at all yet and was a 4-star recruit. Obviously playing at Ohio State helps, but lets not just slap a first round label on him for playing at Ohio State.

Maybe, but I would call him an elite level 2021 DE prospect no question about it compared to other potential DEs in that class.  I think he could easily take a huge jump next year in production with more consistent playing time, the few times he got consistent playing time this year he was great I thought.  

On 12/25/2019 at 10:43 PM, Danger said:

Trust me, Smith will be there, he has all of the tools but was never 100% this year but flashed when he did play. Hopefully we all can see what he can do against Clemson when he is close to 100%. He should get a lot of opportunities being opposite of Young 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

Next years class will probably have Rousseau as a front runner

True, I forgot he was a RS FR and not a true FR.  Still I doubt he can keep on this pace honestly, this year he took people by surprise, next year that will not happen and I doubt he reaches this 15 sack total again but will see.  True he could be big in the 2021 DE class though for sure.  

• Like 2