Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

18 minutes ago, Counselor said:

@wwhickok someone is trying to steal your hot take. By the way Van @wwhickok was on this way before you. I hope you can give him credit for establishing this before you, you thief of thoughts. 

Yeah I definitely brought this up way before Van

Of course anything Van Says I take with a grain of moldy salt.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:15 AM, Counselor said:

@wwhickok someone is trying to steal your hot take. By the way Van @wwhickok was on this way before you. I hope you can give him credit for establishing this before you, you thief of thoughts. 

I actually never saw his posts.  But props to him if he said it first.  I guess I'll have to start looking out for his posts more cause as they say "great minds think alike". 

On 12/31/2019 at 4:17 AM, Counselor said:

Van how many sacks or pressures would he need to get in a single season to break your expectations? 

Stats mean nothing to me.  They can be as much a product of circumstance and outside factors as they can be a product of a player's actual talent.  I just watch the player and see if he jumps out to me.  If he does jump off the screen then I rate him highly.  If he doesn't jump out I don't.  What makes a player stand out is doing things that separate him from everyone else on the field.   

All I needed to do was watch a few snaps of Myles Garrett to see he was something I hadn't seen before on the football field from a defensive end.  I've watched Chase Young a bunch and he never really jumped off the screen to me.  He honestly reminds me the most of former Baylor DE Shawn Oakman.  He looks amazing in his uniform standing on the sidelines but on the field he looks very pedestrain. 

Edited by VanS

On 12/31/2019 at 1:53 AM, goldfishwars said:

Lance Zierlein think Baun is a 1st rounder...

Everyone has their EDGE prospect who they rate incredibly high compared to the others.

Also if we're taking Shenault in the 1st I sure as hell hope we're trading down.

My biggest question is from what I've seen and heard, Chase Young just seems to rush the passer and doesn't seem all that special in other areas of EDGE/DL play. How much is he asked to do things outside of getting to the QB, and is he anywhere near as good at it as he is at going after the QB? Ohio State fans need not respond on this one, nor will I acknowledge a response because it'd be a biased answer.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Danger said:

My biggest question is from what I've seen and heard, Chase Young just seems to rush the passer and doesn't seem all that special in other areas of EDGE/DL play. How much is he asked to do things outside of getting to the QB, and is he anywhere near as good at it as he is at going after the QB? Ohio State fans need not respond on this one, nor will I acknowledge a response because it'd be a biased answer.

Chase Young's play has reminded me of Demarcus Lawrence.  Even if he isn't getting sacks or pressures cause of the extra attention, he is extremely active in the run game and very good at it.  You don't see him get disinterested just because he isn't hitting the QB.  A lot of college DEs will vanish under those circumstances.  

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 2:10 AM, VanS said:

I watched Chase Young closely against Clemson.  I was highly unimpressed.  He just plays so high and stiff.  He doesn't come close to bending the edge like Myles Garrett or other elite pass rushers.

Funny. How much more bend does he need to show here to impress you?

Also, he didn’t get any sacks against Clemson, but his presence was definitely felt. 

40 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Also, he didn’t get any sacks against Clemson, but his presence was definitely felt. 

He hardly had an impact in the game. I'd venture that at least 4 of those 7 pressures didn't speed up Lawrence. He was just too slow on the play.