What to do about the S&C team? Fire them?

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Okay - on to cap hit. (2019 / 2020)

Baktiari - $14.2 / $14.2

Smith - $15.5 / $13.5 (2020 is their "out year" if they choose to use it)

Okung - $15.9 / $16.0

Trent - $14.7 / $14.6

If it is absolutely required to pay him more to get him on the field, scratching up a couple million to get his cap number "in line" with others is okay, I suppose. Big new deal? Umm, no.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

In that case, the player ( perhaps mistakenly ) signed a team friendly contract . His error and his agent - can't put that on the team . The team did follow ( honor ) the terms of the signed contract.

The list of players who are guaranteed to see the end of their respective current contracts:

• Kirk Cousins

Here ends the list.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Woz said:

The list of players who are guaranteed to see the end of their respective current contracts:

• Kirk Cousins

Here ends the list.

Yeah O K ,, But they SIGNED the contracts ,.. They can read . !

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Does anyone know if he's still under the test anytime portion of the league's drug protocol??

He had that surgery to remove the growth on his head

Could this holdout also be to avoid a drug test (due to some "self medication" with choom post-surgery)??

Per https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/13/nfl-new-drug-policy-three-things/15571205/ :

Discipline for marijuana violations after the last game of the 2013 season will be adjusted under the new marijuana discipline schedule, except that suspensions will not convert to fines.

Players remain in Stage Two for a minimum of one year and in Stage Three for a minimum of two years. Under the old policy, a player in Stage Three remained there for the rest of his career.

Given that his last violation was in 2016 (due to missing a test), in theory he should not be under the regime any longer. At the same time, he was in the program before this new interpretation was put into place, so I don't know if he gets grandfathered in.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Does anyone know if he's still under the test anytime portion of the league's drug protocol??

He had that surgery to remove the growth on his head

Could this holdout also be to avoid a drug test (due to some "self medication" with choom post-surgery)??

He has to still submit to a drug test even if he’s holding out.  Any skipped test is considered testing positive.

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Yeah O K ,, But they SIGNED the contracts ,.. They can read . !

True, but it is an open fact that the contracts given by teams are almost assuredly not honored to their completion by their teams.

If you look at spotrac.com/nfl for any player (except Cousins), you'll see the "Potential Out" years. If fan-based information sites report when teams can cut a player and treat the out years as "funny money" accounting-only reasons, then why is it surprising that players do the same?

I had thought that Cousins going for a fully-guaranteed deal was a smart thing and that it would lead other players to take shorter slightly less total valued contracts, thus leading to guaranteed contracts becoming the norm over the next few years. On that latter part I was wrong as players want to be the "top guy" even if that contract is somewhat meaningless.

• Like 1

This whole thing looks bad from all sides.

Trent Williams is really staining his legacy as a redskin with this.  What is this all for, 2 million a year?   Holding out for this, 2 years away from his contract expiration seems extreme to me.  It isn't like we are wronging him.  We made him the top paid guy for a period of time and gave him a good contract in terms of structure.  3 years into his contract, he is still in the top group of guys paid.  Rarely are positional players paid like the top guy for more than 2 seasons even if they are.  This is true across the board.  Look at the qb market.  The top 3 paid guys seem to change every season.  And guess what, TW isn't the top left tackle in the game anymore.  So I am not sure why he thinks he should be paid like one.  

The team is also not looking so smart for this suddenly appearing during camp.  If this has been going on for a while, then they should have at least made an effort to wrap up at least the Scherff contract.  

Edited by offbyone

Dear Trent,

we really miss you at our camp. Unfortunately we simply can’t afford to increase the amount we are paying you in your current contract, but hope as a gesture of our immense respect and goodwill to you that you enjoy the lovely plant we are sending to you.

sincerely

Bruce Allen 

DAnkoFlowering-copy.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That still equals 5, e ;)

I was all ready to give a serious explanation of how I meant 3 on the left side in addition to the center and two on the right — and then I saw that “Flowers” was bolded. And I laughed and laughed 😂

13 minutes ago, offbyone said:

This whole thing looks bad from all sides.

Trent Williams is really staining his legacy as a redskin with this.  What is this all for, 2 million a year?   Holding out for this, 2 years away from his contract expiration seems extreme to me.  It isn't like we are wronging him.  We made him the top paid guy for a period of time and gave him a good contract in terms of structure.  3 years into his contract, he is still in the top group of guys paid.  Rarely are positional players paid like the top guy for more than 2 seasons even if they are.  This is true across the board.  Look at the qb market.  The top 3 paid guys seem to change every season.  And guess what, TW isn't the top left tackle in the game anymore.  So I am not sure why he thinks he should be paid like one.  

The team is also not looking so smart for this suddenly appearing during camp.  If this has been going on for a while, then they should have at least made an effort to wrap up at least the Scherff contract.  

You bring up an interesting point when you mention Scherff. 

People have been posting the top salaries at the OT position around the league and measuring Trent’s deal against comparable LTs. But is it possible that this is more related to the numbers being bandied about for Scherff? 

Folks, including the reporters around the team, seem to be pointing towards 5/$75M as the likely ending point for the Scherff deal. Which is a larger contract than Trent’s, by about $10M ($2M/year). Trent is, objectively, a more valuable player than Scherff — particularly because the one knock on Trent, durability/injury history, is now looking a bit like a knock on Scherff as well. I could easily see how this might be a case of “okay, if you think he’s worth that, then I must be worth more than what you’re paying me.”

• Like 2

Interesting.  Jerry Brewer mentions in the link below that he's heard from reliable sources that Trent has had a feeling that we're going to move on from him soon: he had an issue with us drafting Christian in the 3rd last year, and he's aware of the massive amount of money we'll need to pay Scherff soon, and Moses is well-paid as well, so this was likely Trent striking first and making sure he got his before we moved on from him.

https://thefandc.radio.com/media/audio-channel/6-4-hour-1-trent-williams-wants-new-deal

I guess it's good to know his primary motivation isn't wanting to be traded to another organization, and this makes me understand his thinking a bit more on the ruthless timing aspect of his decision, but I still think he did this too early... Christian hasn't proven anything yet.  But maybe we could look at this as a great sign... weren't him and Christian training together this off-season?  Maybe he's worried that Christian will emerge this year and wants to get his money before that happens.

7 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Interesting.  Jerry Brewer mentions in the link below that he's heard from reliable sources that Trent has had a feeling that we're going to move on from him soon: he had an issue with us drafting Christian in the 3rd last year, and he's aware of the massive amount of money we'll need to pay Scherff soon, and Moses is well-paid as well, so this was likely Trent striking first and making sure he got his before we moved on from him.

A project 3rd round swing tackle shouldn't be seen as a threat to Trent tbh. More like insurance/depth. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

A project 3rd round swing tackle shouldn't be seen as a threat to Trent tbh. More like insurance/depth. 

Maybe he has a healthy respect for Christian's potential + Callahan's ability to develop him.  That's the way I'm spinning it at least, haha.

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I was all ready to give a serious explanation of how I meant 3 on the left side in addition to the center and two on the right — and then I saw that “Flowers” was bolded. And I laughed and laughed 😂

You bring up an interesting point when you mention Scherff. 

People have been posting the top salaries at the OT position around the league and measuring Trent’s deal against comparable LTs. But is it possible that this is more related to the numbers being bandied about for Scherff? 

Folks, including the reporters around the team, seem to be pointing towards 5/$75M as the likely ending point for the Scherff deal. Which is a larger contract than Trent’s, by about $10M ($2M/year). Trent is, objectively, a more valuable player than Scherff — particularly because the one knock on Trent, durability/injury history, is now looking a bit like a knock on Scherff as well. I could easily see how this might be a case of “okay, if you think he’s worth that, then I must be worth more than what you’re paying me.”

Yeah the timing with Scherff's contract coming is interesting.  If trent williams is really resentful that one of his team mates on the line might get paid more than him, it would be very disappointing.  He needs to recognize the reality of it all and that is that Scherff is due for his biggie contract.  Williams already got his.  

It definitely does look like a low blow, leverage play on his part with Nsekhe gone.  

I'll tell you one thing, if this doesn't end soon, it will end badly.  

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Agreed.  Christian looked more like a perennial backup than the potential to be a legit left tackle.  Plus he failed the health test.