2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 7/7/2020 at 7:17 PM, resilient part 2 said:

For those who followed the prospects who might be considered a  sleeper  for Non lottery projected wing players??

Josh Green | SG | Arizona

Jordan Nwora | SF | Louisville

Cassius Stanley | SG | Duke

• Like 2

15 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

What is his size thanks

Listed as 6'2 195lbs. I'd comp him to Devonte Graham or Carson Edwards so Boston is probably out of the picture.

I know Phoenix scouts have been in touch with him so who knows. Guy has so much game tape out there and stepped up in big moments. He'll find a spot in this league.

• Like 1

People are severely underestimating this draft. I don’t see any franchise-changing talent, but there are a lot of guys that are going to be very good starters. Plus I don’t see any of the top players being terrible. They’ll at worst be solid role players. 

I think people are freaking out because there are no elite jump shooters. Basketball is more than shooting. 

On 7/15/2020 at 10:42 AM, BleedTheClock said:

People are severely underestimating this draft. I don’t see any franchise-changing talent, but there are a lot of guys that are going to be very good starters. Plus I don’t see any of the top players being terrible. They’ll at worst be solid role players. 

I think people are freaking out because there are no elite jump shooters. Basketball is more than shooting. 

Vassell, Nesmith, Kispert, Terry, Bey, Bane, Deni has been drilling threes lately, Woodard are all really good. Deni, Vassell, Nesmith, Bane, and Kispert are elite imo. 

EDIT: Winston and Pritchard are other guys that are really good from deep.  

I almost forgot Tillie. A guy, if healthy, will be pretty good offensively. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

Vassell, Nesmith, Kispert, Terry, Bey, Bane, Deni has been drilling threes lately, Woodard are all really good. Deni, Vassell, Nesmith, Bane, and Kispert are elite imo. 

EDIT: Winston and Pritchard are other guys that are really good from deep.  

I almost forgot Tillie. A guy, if healthy, will be pretty good offensively. 

Yeah. I was talking more about the top 5-10 prospects. Like, who cares if Ball shoots a low percentage right now? The three best players in the NBA right now couldn’t shoot for shiz when they came out (Giannis/Bron/Leonard). A jump shot can be developed. 

Okoro/Ball/Edwards are the guys I see getting raped for their shooting percentages. Ball is a wizard of a PG and an offensive star. Edwards is a volume scorer and an elite athlete in the mold of Wiggins. Okoro is the best wing defender the draft has seen in years and is a nightmare running the floor. All of these dudes do other things outside of shooting. People act like they’re doomed without a 3 point shot. 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah. I was talking more about the top 5-10 prospects. Like, who cares if Ball shoots a low percentage right now? The three best players in the NBA right now couldn’t shoot for shiz when they came out (Giannis/Bron/Leonard). A jump shot can be developed. 

Okoro/Ball/Edwards are the guys I see getting raped for their shooting percentages. Ball is a wizard of a PG and an offensive star. Edwards is a volume scorer and an elite athlete in the mold of Wiggins. Okoro is the best wing defender the draft has seen in years and is a nightmare running the floor. All of these dudes do other things outside of shooting. People act like they’re doomed without a 3 point shot. 

The Ball I have seen is anything but a wizard at point.  He is a chucker who has never led his team to wins and if his name wasn't Ball, IMO wouldnt even be a 1st round prospect.  He is all hype at this point and if he were to play in the US and get more exposure, more people would see that. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The Ball I have seen is anything but a wizard at point.  He is a chucker who has never led his team to wins and if his name wasn't Ball, IMO wouldnt even be a 1st round prospect.  He is all hype at this point and if he were to play in the US and get more exposure, more people would see that. 

Why would his name being Ball help him? If anything, it hurts him. This is a bad post. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why would his name being Ball help him? If anything, it hurts him. This is a bad post. 

What? Nobody would care about him if he wasn't a Ball lol. His exposure at 15 did nothing but help him. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What? Nobody would care about him if he wasn't a Ball lol. His exposure at 15 did nothing but help him. 

Exactly this.  He has been in the public eye for 4+ years now and on ESPN throughout.  People recognize the name and thats why he has hype.  His brother has turned out to be a decent pro and that has helped.  His game is awkward, shot is off, he over dribbles, cant finish at the rim, throws unnecessary no look passes to try and be showy but just looks ridiculous in doing so.  His team was 5-23, although I get he didnt play in all of the games he still was under .500 in the games he played.  I dont think he has ever played any defense. 

RJ Hampton played fewer minutes on a better team but heads up dominated Ball.  Ball had more points but also more turnovers and was 1-11 from 3 and took 28 shots to score 25 points in an L.  Sounds like someone you want on your team if you want to sell tickets while still getting the first pick in the draft.  If Ball was a lead guard that you think can lead NBA teams to wins, why cant he do it against below average players in the NBL?  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ehhhhh. The difference is, those guys were elite athletes. LaMelo is an average one. Those guys could finish around the rim pretty well. Also two of those guys were really good defenders coming into the league. LaMelo isn't even good enough to be considered a bad defender: terrible IQ, lazy combating screens, doesn't move well enough laterally, loves contesting without putting his hand up.  

Also the three guys you used as examples are once in a generation prospects. Outside of Ball's Playmaking what does he do well to be considered in these guys same breath? 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Exactly this.  He has been in the public eye for 4+ years now and on ESPN throughout.  People recognize the name and thats why he has hype.  His brother has turned out to be a decent pro and that has helped.  His game is awkward, shot is off, he over dribbles, cant finish at the rim, throws unnecessary no look passes to try and be showy but just looks ridiculous in doing so.  His team was 5-23, although I get he didnt play in all of the games he still was under .500 in the games he played.  I dont think he has ever played any defense. 

RJ Hampton played fewer minutes on a better team but heads up dominated Ball.  Ball had more points but also more turnovers and was 1-11 from 3 and took 28 shots to score 25 points in an L.  Sounds like someone you want on your team if you want to sell tickets while still getting the first pick in the draft.  If Ball was a lead guard that you think can lead NBA teams to wins, why cant he do it against below average players in the NBL?  

To piggy back off this. His team was 3-9 in contests he played in. Was one of the worst defensive players in his league, while being one of the 12 tallest players in his entire league. Had some ludicrous turnovers, and when matched up against one of the most athletic guys he will play in the NBL (RJ Hampton) he went 2-9 (two fade away mid range shots with Hampton draped all over him), and 2 of his 6 TO's in the game (one rip by RJ and forced Bad pass in to the stands). RJ also scored all of his points with LaMelo guarding him. The game he's talking about is in that eye test tweet that was posted earlier in this thread. BTW that was a total of 16 mins of action that they were matched up on each other. 

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ball won't be an offensive star. I just can't see it. He doesn't score the ball well in any way. 

• Like 1