NBA Summer League 2019

11sanchez11

23 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Do you expect to routinely draft all stars at picks 20 and later? What GMs have done a better job drafting with late picks than Ainge? 

He has drafted what? 1 All-Star in 20 years? Great talent evaluator. 

Tacko article https://nesn.com/2019/07/nba-scout-gives-perspective-on-tacko-falls-situation-with-celtics/

One NBA scout agrees, telling Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald how great the risk-reward scenario really is. “I’m still stunned that no one even spent a late second round pick on this guy,” the scout told Bulpett. “The risk-reward upside is phenomenal.”

Edited by resilient part 2

Robert Williams on the Celtics looks pretty legit, they got there defensive big man.  Kid is a great athlete, runs the court well, can block shots and rebound and has a good enough offensive game.  He has looked good, so has Waters at PG, smart kid and plays smooth, knows how to create space and find people.  Already mentioned Edwards playing great for them as well no question about it and is one heck of a scorer.  

Already brought up Grant Williams and he has greatly impressed I think, showed he can go out on the perimeter and knock down shots, is tough and plays hard and his leadership is outstanding.  Not to mention Fall who is the most popular player in the Summer league arguably with Zion being injured, fans go nuts when he gets the ball.  He is nothing great but a year or two in the G league could help him, and at least he can keep up to the pace, I remember when George Muresan could barely make it up and down the court.  And that green jersey makes him look smaller than he is, kid is legit 7-7.

And they have not really played Langford much either, he could do quite well also.  Celtics have a damn impressive young core that is for sure.  They will be just fine with this base to build off of.  They should be back to the Celtics like in 2016-17, a lot of guys, nothing amazing but all played tougher and they had a variety of pieces at each position.  Post play could be an issue but Kanter can at least score and with what Grant and Robert Williams have shown they could provide a lot down low in terms of defense and toughness if they can show up during the season.  I have heard talk of Kemba Walker being a bad defender, hell he is a lot better than Irving is as a defender I feel and is way more scrappy as a player not to mention being more charismatic and as a leader.  

Are these guys All NBA 1st team players, of course not but that is not the point this is the summer league not the practice for the Basketball Hall of Fame class of 2030.  To me the young Celtics look pretty impressive and it would not surprise me if they go a long ways or win the thing in Summer league.  

9 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

So you discredit this forum because it's a bunch of followers. Then you pretend to know what the majority of people league wide are thinking? No, you and MM spew nonsense time and time again which absolutely nothing to back your stances up. Yes, he has his chance this year to show out. I believe he could eventually be a top 25 player. He does not have the tools to be top 10.

Nonsense?? do you not listen or read comments on Tatum throughout the league???

Doesn't have the tools???, he has all the tools.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

What non sense do I spew? Would love to know. What tools does he lack to be a top 10 player? 

I literally gave an example in my last post. "You're crazy if you think Tatum regressed last season"

Tools he lacks to be a top 10 player? He can't create for others, he's a weak isolation scorer, he's not an elite athlete, and he doesn't have elite size/length. Name me the top 10 players in the NBA that have none of those things.

Just now, resilient part 2 said:

Nonsense?? do you not listen or read comments on Tatum throughout the league???

Doesn't have the tools???, he has all the tools.

Provide examples if they are so readily available then.

Jayson Tatum has tools, yes. He does not have the tools to be a top 10 player in the NBA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Robert Williams on the Celtics looks pretty legit, they got there defensive big man.  Kid is a great athlete, runs the court well, can block shots and rebound and has a good enough offensive game.  He has looked good, so has Waters at PG, smart kid and plays smooth, knows how to create space and find people.  Already mentioned Edwards playing great for them as well no question about it and is one heck of a scorer.  

Already brought up Grant Williams and he has greatly impressed I think, showed he can go out on the perimeter and knock down shots, is tough and plays hard and his leadership is outstanding.  Not to mention Fall who is the most popular player in the Summer league arguably with Zion being injured, fans go nuts when he gets the ball.  He is nothing great but a year or two in the G league could help him, and at least he can keep up to the pace, I remember when George Muresan could barely make it up and down the court.  And that green jersey makes him look smaller than he is, kid is legit 7-7.

And they have not really played Langford much either, he could do quite well also.  Celtics have a damn impressive young core that is for sure.  They will be just fine with this base to build off of.  They should be back to the Celtics like in 2016-17, a lot of guys, nothing amazing but all played tougher and they had a variety of pieces at each position.  Post play could be an issue but Kanter can at least score and with what Grant and Robert Williams have shown they could provide a lot down low in terms of defense and toughness if they can show up during the season.  I have heard talk of Kemba Walker being a bad defender, hell he is a lot better than Irving is as a defender I feel and is way more scrappy as a player not to mention being more charismatic and as a leader.  

Are these guys All NBA 1st team players, of course not but that is not the point this is the summer league not the practice for the Basketball Hall of Fame class of 2030.  To me the young Celtics look pretty impressive and it would not surprise me if they go a long ways or win the thing in Summer league.  

damn good write up. agree 100%

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The Celtics continuously draft average role players and they have too many pieces that don't fit. Danny Ainge stockpiles picks, defends them with his life, just to use them on end of rotation players. Hell we've seen them have to cut mid-first round picks recently because they simply don't have the room on their roster. Didn't he draft like 5 or 6 players in 1 class recently? 

8 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

You going to continue to ignore the question? 🤡

I'm not going to go through every GM's draft history to tell you how many of them draft better than Ainge. But Ainge has legit drafted like 1 All-Star in 15-16 years? Stockpiled picks to draft scrubs and cut them after 2 years instead of being aggressive and adding a star to win games. 

5 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Jayson Tatum has tools, yes. He does not have the tools to be a top 10 player in the NBA.

I'm a Duke homer and I actually like Tatum but I agree that he doesn't have the tools to be a top 10 player. To me he looks more like a high end #2 guy. 

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I literally gave an example in my last post. "You're crazy if you think Tatum regressed last season"

Tools he lacks to be a top 10 player? He can't create for others, he's a weak isolation scorer, he's not an elite athlete, and he doesn't have elite size/length. Name me the top 10 players in the NBA that have none of those things.

He’s a good enough athlete, absolutely. Curry isn’t an elite athlete. How many players go ISO more than once or twice a game? Harden might be the only one, kind of a stupid point. He can learn to be more of a creater like many young players do. His size and length are just fine. Harden hovered around 12 in AST%. No reason Tatum can’t increase that to 15-20% actually being a top 2 option on the Celtics.

http://tradevalue.theringer.com/

Heres an article from the trade deadline. Has Tatum as one of the best assets in the league and has his ceiling as First Team All NBA. The consensus with GMs around the league is a MUCH higher opinion on Tatum than dudes on this message board.

Check back in after this next season. It’ll be his true test.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not going to go through every GM's draft history to tell you how many of them draft better than Ainge. But Ainge has legit drafted like 1 All-Star in 15-16 years? Stockpiled picks to draft scrubs and cut them after 2 years instead of being aggressive and adding a star to win games. 

He’s drafted one all star, likely going to be two, while only selecting in the top 10 3 times. You’ve been completely proven wrong but you’re prepared to die on this hill I guess.