Predict QB Haskins

Looking back from 2029- Haskins is .....  

5 members have voted

1. 1. In 2029-Haskins QB career is most like

• John Elway
    • Todd Blackledge
    • Jim Kelly
    • Tony Eason
    • Ken Obrien
    • Dan Morino

I don’t think he’ll be bad, so that eliminates Blackledge. 

I don’t think he’ll be the kind of rare quarterback who puts up huge numbers regardless of the talent level around him, so that eliminates Marino. 

I don’t expect him to burn brightest early on and then fizzle out after a couple seasons, so that eliminates Eason and O’Brien. 

Which leaves us with Elway and Kelly. Two HOFers, so it’s already likely too lofty a comparison.

But I’m going with Jim Kelly. He had some rough patches through his first 3-4 seasons, with some issues taking sacks and throwing picks. The Bills were only 28-29 in his starts through year 4. But once the supporting cast of Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, James Lofton, Don Beene, Pete Metzelaars, etc. was all in place and clicking, Kelly and the Bills really took off. We all remember their 4 SB appearances (some more fondly than others), but it was remarkable for me to be reminded that their Run-and-Shoot offense ranked 3rd, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd annually in the league in points during that span. I had been thinking that defense was more their calling card, with the Bruce Smiths and Cornelius Bennetts and Darryl Talleys running amok, but that was definitely a high-powered offensive team first and foremost. 

To me, that’s who Haskins will be. A guy who can make all the throws, but probably not consistently enough to be a surgeon that can carve you up regardless of who’s out there catching his passes. If you give him a good scheme and a good set of receivers, though, he could be very dangerous and very prolific. I would expect his career arc to mirror the quality of his surrounding cast, and while I think that’s true of most good-maybe-great-but-not-legendary QBs, I think Kelly is the best example of that among the choices. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I think TE's Reed & Davis are good for 10 TD's combined.

I think our RB's with AP, Guice & Thompson are good for 5 TD's combined.

I think the other 15 TD's, go to our WR's combined.

Hmmm... Gonna have to disagree w/ you there dog.

1. I love Haskins, but I don't think he starts the season. I think either Colt or Case do. I think the Redskins struggle the first 4 or 5 games of the season and then after that Haskins will become the starter sometime in October. So, I don't see him getting to 30 tds. In fact, I don't see the Redskins QBs getting to 30 tds combined. The Redskins passing game hasn't had 30 combined tds passing since Sonny Jurgensen did it in 1967. Of course, Theisman and Cousins did get to 29 passing TDs in 1983 & 2015.

Still, I think our Qbs combine for around 25 tds. I think our running game provides 10 tds and maybe a few more between Peterson, Guice and Thompson.

Reed: 7 tds

Davis: 2 tds

Doctson: 6 tds

Richardson: 5 tds

Quinn: 3 tds

Peterson: 1 Td

Thompson: 2 tds

I get 26 Tds and that's spread out for our two staring QBs this year. Case or Colt & then Haskins. Maybe a few less or more for some of these guys, but I think that's around what we’re going go see. Now, Guice and McLaurin may get one also, but if they do I’d take one away from one of the RBs or WRs.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, TKellion said:

I will go with Warren Moon,If he can throw it like WM the Redskins will be entertaining at least

I think that’s a good comparison. He’s got a good arm and is a smart guy like Warren. He’s more athletic that people give him credit for, but he’s not a “great athlete,” just like Warren.