What Should The Cowboys Do?

TakeTheBallDeep

On 7/31/2019 at 2:36 PM, Outpost31 said:

Trade him for a ****ton and use what they get to draft a QB.

Dak is only as good as the team around him.  The team around him is only as good as the salary cap allows it to be.  Dak gets paid, his teammates do not, Dak has to do more and cannot. 

The same thing happened to the Seahawks and the Seahawks only rebounded once Wilson's cap number was lower comparatively.  The same thing will happen to the Seahawks again.

The Colts were pretenders for all the years under Manning except, conveniently, the year Manning's cap hit was lower than 12% of the salary cap. 

The one team that hasn't had a slump after paying their QB?  The Patriots.  Why?  Because Brady is married to a billionaire and has frequently signed for less than what he is worth. 

If you sign a QB to an extension, you instantly get worse.  If you sign an unworthy QB to an extension, you fall apart. 

They're not gonna get a haul for Zeke lol. Simply put he has a lot of wear and tear and he has been a @$$ off of the field. So that's your dilemma with Zeke.

Dak while not a great qb he has stayed healthy, is a decent quality fit in that system. I would say hold off until 2020 and get Brissett but with Lucks injury history do they just let him part? 

Then you have to worry about the line getting older and failing apart. Fedricks just missed a year, Tyron Smith although he's a freak he's entering his 9th year. 

Edited by thebestever6

On 21/07/2019 at 8:51 PM, Forge said:

I don't know about trading Dak, but I do think that the Cowboys are certainly in an interesting position with him. I don't think that they just have to cater to his demands. Looking around the league, where does he go? The terms I have heard bandied about are between 30 - 34 million per year. That's insane to me. Now don't get me wrong, I agree with your inferred assessment that you can't just go out and get a better quarterback - whatever you think of Dak, he's not "easily" replaced. But that also depends on what kind of value you assign to having 10-12 million in freed up cash available. If I were the cowboys, I would have a price point that I'm not interesting in crossing, and if that is unacceptable to Dak, you let him hit the market. You don't even have to franchise tag him. Just let him test it out. Sure, you have to be willing to lose him, but lets look at the options: 

AFC West: Chargers (Rivers), Denver, Chiefs (Mahomes), Raiders (Carr)

Assuming that Rivers isn't retiring, we can cross them off. Chiefs too. The Broncos are an interesting case because Lock only cost a second round pick and they aren't beholden to him as QBotF. This would probably be worst case scenario for Dallas was if he left for Denver because it doesn't really saturate the quarterback market with a comparable / decent starting quarterback going on market. The Raiders could certainly make the swap from Carr to Dak, but again, if they do that, Carr becomes available, and if I'm the cowboys, that's an okay trade off to secure potentially 8 figure savings and having my quarterback switch from Dak to Carr. Even if they had to trade for Carr, his price point is likely going to be reasonable, and he's cost controlled for 3 more years after this one, all under 20 million dollars. Again, that type of savings is really valuable to a team with players to re-sign and limited space to do so. 

Will there be an unexpected team that bottoms out? Sure. But multiple teams will also fill needs via the draft at the position. There will be some quarterbacks left in the cold who get let go by their current teams (MM and Winston being the most premiere). Taking a sure fire starting quarterback job at a lower  salary than most starting quarterbacks wouldn't be the most shocking thing if they knew that they were going to be the 100% starter, so I think that these guys, despite not putting out play that is as consistently good as Dak has been throughout his career also aren't way below him in quarterback groupings, so that dollar for dollar savings becomes a bigger deal. 

Really nice and thorough post, though I don't think there's any way the Raiders downgrade their QB for more money. If Carr doesn't have a great season the obvious play for us would be to go QB in the draft with an extra 1st round pick we have. That said, I think Carr is a good starter and although some speculate his seat is getting hot (and with Jon Gruden who actually knows) I honestly can't see any way they bring in Dak.

For Dallas, I think he's just asking too much even though he's a decent starting QB. I think Cooper and Elliot will also be asking probably more than what they're worth, particularly Cooper who can fade in and out of games. I'd take the gamble on Elliot, Cooper and bolster the OL and try and sign a vet QB in a similar vein to Bridgewater or Mariota. I think that should be enough to keep the Cowboys in playoff contention and who knows from there. Signing Dak handicaps the whole team I feel for a player who is not enough to make the difference whereas Elliot might.

It would make little to no sense for the Cowboys not to pay Zeke, given where they drafted him. Spending a 1st round pick on a RB and then not giving him a second contract and recouping a 3rd round comp pick doesn't seem like a sound long-term strategy.

Also, paying Dak Prescott over guys on the defensive side of the ball who were a much larger part of your team success last year is also questionable.

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

seems foolish because he could sit out the season, then come back next year and still be in year 4 of his contract, set to make 3.whatever million with an additional few years of team control. he would be better off coming in week 10 to get the accrued season then 'pulling his hamstring' and going on IR

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

seems foolish because he could sit out the season, then come back next year and still be in year 4 of his contract, set to make 3.whatever million with an additional few years of team control. he would be better off coming in week 10 to get the accrued season then 'pulling his hamstring' and going on IR

Think that's exactly what he meant. He can still come in, have a phantom injury and not play. Would Love to see that Soap Opera unfold!!!

Make it happen Jerry, make it happen you Stubborn SOB!!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

They should trade Elliot and Dak.

Prescott is going to get PAID. And he does not deserve to be PAID

Elliot is a beast and a half, but RB's aren't that valuable. He shouldn't be eating up the amount of cap space that he will inevitably be doing. 

Yes Dallas will be out of a QB and a RB, but they have a great OL, good receiving options, and a really good defense. If they can get the QB figured out (partly accomplished via trade up with picks from Dak/Zeke), they'll upgrade at QB. And the RB situation will flesh itself out. Their OL is dynamite.

I hate Dallas though so if they want to sign all 3 to big deals, more power to them. They aren't a Super Bowl team with that big 3 and after they pay them, they will have no means to improve or keep their other young talent.

This is a really bad spot for Dallas to be in actually. They have to play this card perfectly and I don't think it's possible unless they trade both and suffer a down year in the process.

Stephen Jones: RB market re-set with Le’Veon Bell deal

Jones was asked if he regrets intimating that the team would be using Gurley’s contract as a jumping off point in Elliott talks and his answer touched on the Bell deal reshaping the playing field for running back contracts.

“No, I still think that’s within the realm. At the same time, I think the market re-set with Le’Veon,” Jones said. “I think you see what happens with Gurley and you get a great player like Le’Veon, who’s every bit as well thought of as Gurley and he had unfettered free agency. He had 32 teams with no draft picks attached, and the market was $13.5 million . . . less than Gurley’s. At the end of the day, business changes, and we pay attention to that.”

Jones was asked if the difference between the two deals was so great, even at the actual figures, that the team would risk going into next season without Elliott. Jones said the team’s made a “very generous” offer to the running back, although it’s clear Elliott doesn’t agree that it is as generous as it should be and he likely wouldn’t agree with being comped to Bell rather than Gurley either.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/06/stephen-jones-rb-market-re-set-with-leveon-bell-deal/