Training Camp 2019

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It seems like Maxx Crosby is having a better camp than Ferrell so far.

Ya'll are too much... Reading WAAAAAY to much into opinions of people on twitter. This is how you fall for some bum every year who gets mentioned in camp. 

• Like 2

2. First-round pick Clelin Ferrell has had some good battles with left tackle Kolton Miller.

Miller has won the most of them, which he should at this point. He was a first-round pick in 2018 with a year of experience going up against the rookie Ferrell. 

Derek Carr paid Ferrell a compliment the other day, saying how Ferrell was one of the first players out on the practice field every day and how great his effort is. I tuned him out. When it comes to the No. 4 overall pick in the draft, I am not trying to hear about effort. I need to see the quick-twitch, the burst, the obvious impact potential. 

The Raiders need Ferrell and rookie Maxx Crosby to give the pass rush a boost. Now. So watching Ferrell battle Miller the next two weeks will be a good indicator. 

“Kolton is going to be a really, really good player,” Ferrell said on Monday, “and not even just him, but going against that offensive line. That’s the biggest o-line in football, period. … Going against somebody like Kolton every day is only going to make me better. It’s exciting. Y’all seen us after practice, we are just talking it up, trying to learn things about each other, so I can’t wait to just continue that and it’s only going to make me better.”

tenor.gif

In all seriousness: I really hope they don't, in fact, suck. I feel like 'having good battles' implies similar talent levels. Which.....might not be a good thing. Have to wait and see.

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ya'll are too much... Reading WAAAAAY to much into opinions of people on twitter. This is how you fall for some bum every year who gets mentioned in camp. 

It's also WAAAAAY (I had to) early for all this talk about who is going to be good or bad. Let's see these guys with pads on, in a preseason game, and I don't know maybe the real thing before we make too many judgements. 

No one gets anything by being crowned the king of practice.

Time will tell with Ferrell. But the more I think about it the more I believe he probably wouldn't have been the pick if the team didn't already have two other first-rounders. It seems like Mayock really wanted to hit three doubles and gain the trust of the coaching staff with those picks. I'm most happy with the Jacobs pick, and I also like Abram, but I'd be surprised if Ferrell became an elite player in the NFL. I also think there's a reasonable chance he doesn't re-sign after his rookie deal. But, I'd be surprised if he becomes an outright bust, though.

Edited by Rich7sena

1 hour ago, true2form said:

It's also WAAAAAY (I had to) early for all this talk about who is going to be good or bad. Let's see these guys with pads on, in a preseason game, and I don't know maybe the real thing before we make too many judgements. 

No one gets anything by being crowned the king of practice.

The we can all overreact for an entire year to a guy like Chris Warren? (I had to) 

• Like 1

8. Renfrow, the rookie out of Clemson, has dusted veteran Ryan Grant out of the starting gate in the slot receiver competition. But don’t be surprised if you see a lot of Brown in the slot with Tyrell Williams and speed demon J.J. Nelson outside.

10. It does indeed look like Josh Mauro will be in the starting base defense at end opposite Ferrell.

this is from Vic’s article on the athletic. 

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Gruden himself said that Maxx might lead the league in effort and intensity this season. Ferrell has been getting whooped up by a guy that had the worst season in the history of football at LT. 

11 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

In all seriousness: I really hope they don't, in fact, suck. I feel like 'having good battles' implies similar talent levels. Which.....might not be a good thing. Have to wait and see.

It means that Kolton either made a pretty big jump this year or Ferrell isn't very good.