Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

I wonder how long Josh Jackson is going to be out?  Having missed this much, once he does come back it will be only little by little.  Having burned a 2nd-round pick on the kid, it would sure be nice if he could emerge as a legit functional capable rotation/package player, even if not necessarily great or an every-down guy.  Hope he doesn't miss too much more time, and that his injury doesn't linger all season or all career.  

23 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'm with you. Davis is in a contract year and I don't see Gute bidding for his services next year. I rather have Corey Grant for that ST and gadget player spot. Might as well keep a guy who can be in your future. Same can be said for G-MO, hes gonna get more money in FA than we are willing to pay. If it comes down to him and Kummerow might as well keep Kum instead.

Not how it works. You keep the best guy, and then get a comp pick when he leaves. 

45 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'm with you. Davis is in a contract year and I don't see Gute bidding for his services next year. I rather have Corey Grant for that ST and gadget player spot. Might as well keep a guy who can be in your future. Same can be said for G-MO, hes gonna get more money in FA than we are willing to pay. If it comes down to him and Kummerow might as well keep Kum instead.

There is the small matter of the 2019 season to play remember? So you're gonna cut guys cause they're gonna ball it out in contract years and we wont want to pay them in 2020? I know there must be some sense in there somewhere....its just so small I cant find it! :)   

Also, glad to hear all the good things about Fackrell.  He's a guy I feel should actually improve his overall production (even if the sacks are down) because he was a legit player last year.  Lot of talk from some corners that he lucked into those sacks, but I never saw that.  Guy has a pretty well-rounded rush arsenal, and the game has slowed waaaaay down for him.  He can chase a back out of the backfield and make the tackle, wrangle Russell Wilson in the open field or perhaps most shocking of all, shed a TE and make the TFL on a stretch play.  Crazy the jump he's made each year, but legitimately he gives the Packers 4 different OLBs that you really want to get on the field as much as you can.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

There is the small matter of the 2019 season to play remember? So you're gonna cut guys cause they're gonna ball it out in contract years and we wont want to pay them in 2020? I know there must be some sense in there somewhere....its just so small I cant find it! :)   

I'm talking fringe players not stars. G MO Is good but let's not pretend he's light years better than Kummerow. He was undrafted for a reason.

Just now, St Vince said:

I'm talking fringe players not stars. G MO Is good but let's not pretend he's light years better than Kummerow. He was undrafted for a reason.

He's light years better than Kumerow. It doesn't matter where he was drafted or not. Look at 2019, not 2015.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He's light years better than Kumerow. It doesn't matter where he was drafted or not. Look at 2019, not 2015.

Kumerow is one of those guys that the general opinion of will always be higher than the NFL opinion because you don't see the stuff he does poorly on the TV copy.  He can't get off the jam at all, he routinely gets clogged up at the line for several seconds and rarely gets free clean when he does escape.  He's also bad at dropping his weight and changing direction.  Not technique-wise, he knows what he's doing, but he just doesn't have much burst out of routes that require full stop and go.  He's a different player once he's up to speed, and if you want him running a post, a corner, a slant, or a go route (or any combination thereof) he can do that and be dangerous with it.  But so many of his snaps he just can't get separation from the coverage, or at least, that was the story on him late last year.  Doesn't seem to be significantly different in this camp though.

Allison is just much quicker in and out of his cuts on short stuff, and he doesn't have the same issue transferring his weight that Kumerow does.  He's also better at beating press coverage, he doesn't give the DB his chest as easily and he's a lot shiftier in his release.  Thing is he's also just as good once he's up to speed as Kumerow is, so it's not like he's giving up any real ground there.  If Allison was a 4.3 guy instead of a 4.5 guy, he'd be a WR1 all day, but even still he's just playing at a different tier than Jake is.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm sure playing with the best Qb in the league had something to do with that. Who did Kummerow play with?

G mo is still a fringe guy. Adams and the young receivers are locks. If they keep 4 TE's which may be the case it will come down to Allison and Kummerow. He may be slightly better but I don't see the huge drop off you see. Neither are burners,  both have great hands, size and run good routes.

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Kumerow is one of those guys that the general opinion of will always be higher than the NFL opinion because you don't see the stuff he does poorly on the TV copy.  He can't get off the jam at all, he routinely gets clogged up at the line for several seconds and rarely gets free clean when he does escape.  He's also bad at dropping his weight and changing direction.  Not technique-wise, he knows what he's doing, but he just doesn't have much burst out of routes that require full stop and go.  He's a different player once he's up to speed, and if you want him running a post, a corner, a slant, or a go route (or any combination thereof) he can do that and be dangerous with it.  But so many of his snaps he just can't get separation from the coverage, or at least, that was the story on him late last year.  Doesn't seem to be significantly different in this camp though.

Allison is just much quicker in and out of his cuts on short stuff, and he doesn't have the same issue transferring his weight that Kumerow does.  He's also better at beating press coverage, he doesn't give the DB his chest as easily and he's a lot shiftier in his release.  Thing is he's also just as good once he's up to speed as Kumerow is, so it's not like he's giving up any real ground there.  If Allison was a 4.3 guy instead of a 4.5 guy, he'd be a WR1 all day, but even still he's just playing at a different tier than Jake is.

But I herd Kumerow plays real good. 

2 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Based on practice I think you can break the WR position down like this: 

WR1: Davante Adams 

WR2: Geronimo Allison 

WR3: Marquez Valdes-Scantling 

WR4: COMPETITION --> between Trevor Davis and Equanimeous St. Brown

WR6: COMPETITION --> between J'Mon Moore and Jake Kumerow 

The top 5 are virtual locks based on what I saw and other TC reports. Moore and Kumerow are competing for that sixth WR position and I think if both maintain the status quo Moore will be the one to make the team (if they keep that many). If J'Mon plays himself out of a job, it will be Jake Kumerow or they'll only keep 5 WRs--- at least that's my general feel. 

Love this competition. I've pleasantly surprised Trevor Davis has played so well in camp. We shall see in preseason though. I still want ESB on the field more than him.

Archived