Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

On 8/6/2019 at 3:05 AM, boratt said:

I was watching the blocking in front and didn’t get a great look. But Houston was playing like it was a game.

Thanks. It was supposed to be a no-tackle drill and Davis got drilled and facemasked at the same time. Still not sure exactly what happened.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, the only logical reasoning I can find is that the trap injury was going to keep him out of most (if not all) of preseason and he was already on the outside looking in, so they decided to move on from him to get an extended look at someone else.

I dig logic.

And I agree with what you said above.

'Already on the outside looking in"...isn't that just a polite way of saying that others were performing better than him during camp?

I think we've come full circle to the main point here....it's not normal for a higher drafted kid to not see the end of his rookie deal.  Something has to be majorly off for that to happen.

And in this one instance, it happened.  He didn't improve and others on the roster simply proved to be better.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

True, wasn't great but plenty of the long, leaner dancing bear types have developed that in the league. Nate Solder comes to mind. Our staff never developed him.

I won't argue with that.  This move did seem early - I was excited to see him in a ZBS where he can use his athleticism in the running game and with more play action passes, he'd get a half second more to set himself in the pass rush.

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Light looks good, Nijman and De Beer both seemed PS worthy to me. My guess is they'll stash one on the roster now and the other to PS. Either way, Spriggs was never going to be starting caliber. I wonder what that injury was, trap is an odd injury to see. 

"you never cut a guy on a rookie deal" @CWood21

Lafleur was asked what was positive from the offense during the joint practices. He said the offensive line.  He said they controlled the line of scrimmage and not just the first team. 

I’ve heard Alex Lights name brought up as a guy who’s rising to the occasion. 

They cut Jason Spriggs.

I really don’t think they’re kidding when they say they like their OL. Same way they weren’t kidding when they said they liked Lowry and Adams. They cut a quality DT. Same way they weren’t kidding when they cut Sitton and said they liked Taylor.

Add the words and actions together. They like Alex Light. So much so, that I’m going to watch every play of his tomorrow. He might be the RT of the future. 

Spriggs is cut I think because he's really not a viable G at all.

he's a T only player and is probably 3rd in the competition for the backup OT spot AND he has no versatility.  So he isn't going to get enough reps to actually win the backup OT job (which would be the only way he lands on the 53) barring 2 injuries.  So they made the move now to smooth out the process and give the guys who ARE gonna be on the team the reps in camp.

That's my best stab at why the move was made and why now.

I think people are overthinking this.  Spriggs has had more downs than ups, has struggled with injury, is in a contract year, and hadn't been on the practice in a week.  There's a lot of reasons to move on, and some not to, and in the end the team went with option A.  We can go back and forth about this all day but no one has the level of information they need to make an actually informed guess as to why.

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I think people are overthinking this.  Spriggs has had more downs than ups, has struggled with injury, is in a contract year, and hadn't been on the practice in a week.  There's a lot of reasons to move on, and some not to, and in the end the team went with option A.  We can go back and forth about this all day but no one has the level of information they need to make an actually informed guess as to why.

I disagree. They like Alex Light, they said so. Same as them saying they liked Montravius Adams and cut Daniels. Same as them saying they liked Taylor and cut Sitton. I’m happy to agree to disagree on this. Time should sort it out. If Light is a quality player, it’s safe to say they like the guys they have more. 

On top of that, spriggs is a bad player. 

Cut. Fairly straight forward by my estimation.

4 minutes ago, boratt said:

I disagree. They like Alex Light, they said so. Same as them saying they liked Montravius Adams and cut Daniels. Same as them saying they liked Taylor and cut Sitton. I’m happy to agree to disagree on this. Time should sort it out. If Light is a quality player, it’s safe to say they like the guys they have more. 

On top of that, spriggs is a bad player. 

Cut. Fairly straight forward by my estimation.

These aren't related at all because Spriggs wasn't going to be a starter.  You need two tackles for a second team line, so it's not like he was taking practice reps from Light.  They could have kept both on roster and never had an issue.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:12 PM, Sasquatch said:

This looks like the same Rodgers to me - dance around a while in the pocket and make a last second throw to DA in the flat for 5-10.  

Here's Rodgers throwing quickly within the design of the offense... A "no look" pass too.

Archived