The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

All you folks that know baseball way better than I do, I have a question. How long can this process go on if we stay good? Like you can't buy in 2019 and 2020 and 2021 as a small market team can you? 

Could we sell on say Thames, Santana, Davies, maybe Chacin if we buy/trade for another starter this winter? Obviously you aren't going to get top 100 guys but someone like Lind got us 3 lotto tickets and those 4 I listed I'd say are equally as valuable. 

I just see the expectation of the fan base as "oh we're good again better buy at the deadline" and while I'm stoked about what Stearns has done, it can't be sustainable as a winning, small market team can it? Our draft pools are going to get smaller and smaller.

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

All you folks that know baseball way better than I do, I have a question. How long can this process go on if we stay good? Like you can't buy in 2019 and 2020 and 2021 as a small market team can you? 

Could we sell on say Thames, Santana, Davies, maybe Chacin if we buy/trade for another starter this winter? Obviously you aren't going to get top 100 guys but someone like Lind got us 3 lotto tickets and those 4 I listed I'd say are equally as valuable. 

I just see the expectation of the fan base as "oh we're good again better buy at the deadline" and while I'm stoked about what Stearns has done, it can't be sustainable as a winning, small market team can it? Our draft pools are going to get smaller and smaller.

Not that long, which is why I didn't want to be pushing all of our chips in a year early. I'd guess we contend through 2021 or so, then have to re-evaluate. Fortunately we have enough valuable chips with control through then that the rebuild won't be a 5-year kind of thing. Stearns seems to at least have some focus on sustainability.