Steelers extend HC Mike Tomlin through 2021

RaidersAreOne

Just now, dll2000 said:

Steelers don't fire HC too often.  They are an outlier.  

Same with the Packers, and the situations are very similar. 

Embarrassing loss in the playoffs (Jaguars, Falcons)
Missed the playoffs.
An offseason where the excuses are removed.

Packers fired Capers and got a new coordinator, Rodgers came back.
Steelers got rid of all their distractions in Bell and Brown.

What have the Steelers really done to improve?  They traded their first and second round pick in the draft to move up for the least important position on defense. 

That's about the extent of their major additions. 

Seven of their 16 games are against playoff teams, two of which being the Super Bowl matchup. 

Their division added two new head coaches and each team in their division got significantly better in the offseason. 

I don't think the Steelers will win 9 games this year.  If they do, I'm wrong and Tomlin stays.  If they don't, I think they finally point to the head coach. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Missed the playoffs.

What have the Steelers really done to improve?  They traded their first and second round pick in the draft to move up for the least important position on defense. 

Seven of their 16 games are against playoff teams, two of which being the Super Bowl matchup. 

Their division added two new head coaches and each team in their division got significantly better in the offseason. 

I don't think the Steelers will win 9 games this year.  If they do, I'm wrong and Tomlin stays.  If they don't, I think they finally point to the head coach. 

An 8 win season would be rough for his odds of staying.  He has been there a long time so they might move on.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bigger hot seat:

Garrett or Tomlin?

Garrett.

The Rooneys are a patient ownership, and Tomlin has brought them a Superbowl. Don't think Tomlin goes unless Pittsburgh has an absolute disaster of a season.

To be fair to Jerry, he has been loyal to Garrett, but he sees a team of players that he will feel should be go enough to go deep, so even if Garrett has a decent season, it may not be good enough to satisfy Jerry Jones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Steelers don't fire HC too often.  They are an outlier.  

Or Ever? Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin. Steelers are a model of consistency, stability and loyalty. I admire the way they do business. I think Tomlin is a good coach. Not great like BB but good and definitely good enough to chase championships. You could do a lot worse then a ltr with Tomlin, caveat being we will see what happens when Ben retires and he is forced to try to find a successor. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Missed the playoffs.

Actually they brought in a decent Corner. You also say ILB is  the least important position on the field but in our defense, in the 3-4 Defense, that is the 'general' on the field. We drafted a coverage LB, which was our biggest weakness last year.

They also added a decent receiver. Look at the stats when he actually had someone half decent throwing to him. Moncrief isnt a world beater but Ben is gonna utilize him well imo.

I agree though, the Steelers won't win 9 games. They'll win 13. 

Bell isnt a loss at all. He didnt play a single snap for us in 2018 and our running game was actually better for it.

AB is a loss statistically but we wont miss the diva part of it all. I've been wrong before and I might be wrong here but I think the Steelers will be just fine. Also, I love that they drafted Devin Bush.

51 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I think Pittsburgh is the browns biggest threat in the division

Might as well not get a new coach until Ben goes

Not to disagree but Cleveland has a lot to prove. There is no denying they spent a lot of money and assets to bring in high prices stardom. But they are apparently already receiving the crown.

The Ravens and Steelers have almost exclusively owned this division for 2 decades. Maybe itll change this year. Just dont be surprised if it doesnt.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Actually they brought in a decent Corner. You also say ILB is  the least important position on the field but in our defense, in the 3-4 Defense, that is the 'general' on the field. We drafted a coverage LB, which was our biggest weakness last year.

They also added a decent receiver. Look at the stats when he actually had someone half decent throwing to him. Moncrief isnt a world beater but Ben is gonna utilize him well imo.

I agree though, the Steelers won't win 9 games. They'll win 13. 

Bell isnt a loss at all. He didnt play a single snap for us in 2018 and our running game was actually better for it.

AB is a loss statistically but we wont miss the diva part of it all. I've been wrong before and I might be wrong here but I think the Steelers will be just fine. Also, I love that they drafted Devin Bush.

Plax, Hines, AB, Mike Wallace, Bryant, Randel El, Holmes... the sheer amount of WR’s that Ben has made a ton of money for and been told that when they moved on the Steelers offense was doomed. AB is likely the best of that bunch athletically but I’m confident Ben and the Steelers will be ok. 

• Like 2