Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Haden / Burns

Nelson / Sutton

Hilton / Layne

If Allen makes the roster it'll be as a Safety.

I think he is gone. He hasn't practiced and played at Safety. I am not sure that he could easily transition there from CB due to his inexperience as a defensive player.  His best shot was as a CB with disappointments in Artie and Cam's performances. This was a great opportunity for Allen. It is early and I hope he can bounce back, but not too optimistic that he will do enough going forward.

14 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

What do you guys think ends up happening with the corners?

Haden - Lock

Nelson - Lock

Hilton - Lock (assuming he doesn't have an awful preseason)

Sutton - Sounds like a lock to be the dime backer

Layne - Lock

Allen looks to be long gone. I don't really see any room for Burns. How often do we keep 6 corners?

As I stated earlier, I am disappointed with not hearing that Allen has stepped up.  It will probably cost him his job. Sorry that the light bulb hasn't come on because he has great size, length, speed and physical tools to develop.  It is still very early in camp. A lot can change due to play and heaven forbid the I-word (that I don't want to say out loud).  We may also have the option of a decent veteran cut making the roster.  I don't think it will be a big time player like Haden, but someone solid may become a cap casualty or get cut because of a young up and coming player.

It is scary to think that Sutton and lock are next to them.  He is as bad or worse than Artie, except he didn't cost a #1.  What has he done consistently? He got a game saving (actually tying) INT against the Browns week one and then disappeared for much of the season.  He can't seem to stay H-word that rhymes with wealth, (I don't want to jinx the kid).  He was known as a solid PR and has not shown anything there even in per-season and past camps. 

I would give Artie the edge. However, as I always say, that is again like arguing about which ugly chick is better looking. :o

hqdefault.jpg

Kevin Colbert on Artie Burns: “He did his work in the spring, and he competed and we think he did show signs of improvement. Of course, he has to continue that, and it’s encouraging for us.”

Washington burning Haden here

Ola ran with the 1s today (Chick was out) and had another really strong day.

Cam Sutton already has 4 interceptions in 5 days of camp.

Rudolph is dominating Dobbs for the #2 spot so far.

Diontae Johnson “unguardable” in 1v1s due to his insanely quick release off the line.

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Rudolph is dominating Dobbs for the #2 spot so far.

That's what I am hearing as well. It needs to translate into actual pre-season games, but all indications are the kid is making big strides.

I have several family/friends who watched him at OSU, and they say this kid is the real deal.

Haven't heard diddly squat about Bush. Seems strange. Watched the ILB report on the Steelers home site. VW was the guy they talked about the most. It seems unusual not to hear a little something about a first Rd pick's performance but maybe I'm making to much out of it. 

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Haven't heard diddly squat about Bush. Seems strange. Watched the ILB report on the Steelers home site. VW was the guy they talked about the most. It seems unusual not to hear a little something about a first Rd pick's performance but maybe I'm making to much out of it. 

Tomlin said he's progressing, doing more and more with the 1st team, but they want him to be the play caller.

6 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I’ve heard he’s looked great in coverage. Had 3 PBUs yesterday.

18 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Washington burning Haden here

Good route by Washington, but the fake by Big Ben really made this play work. He froze both CB Haden and SS Edmunds with his look underneath and pump fake just long enough for him to create separation and he threw the ball to an open spot. Good execution from the savvy vet QB and finishing from Washington.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

Gotta say that was a crappy throw by Ben. He made Washington slow down and track the ball over the middle.  If Ben leads him ahead and to the sideline, Washington is not touched.

On the flip side, Washington kept his feet under him and moving rather than lay out for it or go to the ground for it.

• Like 2