Rams extend Snead and McVay to 2023

NVRamsFan

1 hour ago, DingoLadd said:

This is a decision that should be met with a lot of skepticism, I mean what has McVay done for the rams? Should've waited until the final year of his deal to decide. 

You mean outside of taking a perennial loser of the last decade to the playoffs twice and a trip to the Super Bowl? If the Rams waited on a extension perhaps Mcvay takes that as a slight and finds employment elsewhere after his deal is done. I don't see anything wrong with the Rams getting ahead of things and making sure their bright young head coach is locked up.

3 hours ago, Classic said:

You mean outside of taking a perennial loser of the last decade to the playoffs twice and a trip to the Super Bowl? If the Rams waited on a extension perhaps Mcvay takes that as a slight and finds employment elsewhere after his deal is done. I don't see anything wrong with the Rams getting ahead of things and making sure their bright young head coach is locked up.

I don't care how well you do your 1st 2 years, teams get lucky and you want to see consistency from a coach. 

McVay could easily crash and burn since teams have 2 years worth of tape on him, is it likely? no. But the rams should've waited a year to see how McVay handled coming off the disappointment that was last season (not the whole season, just how it ended) 

lol what? This would've been during the off-season before his final deal (he signed a 4 year deal with the rams according to reports) I don't see how McVay is suddenly so annoyed he didn't get a contract that he just bolts and says no to the rams for just waiting until the final year of his deal. 

4 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I don't care how well you do your 1st 2 years, teams get lucky and you want to see consistency from a coach. 

McVay could easily crash and burn since teams have 2 years worth of tape on him, is it likely? no. But the rams should've waited a year to see how McVay handled coming off the disappointment that was last season (not the whole season, just how it ended) 

lol what? This would've been during the off-season before his final deal (he signed a 4 year deal with the rams according to reports) I don't see how McVay is suddenly so annoyed he didn't get a contract that he just bolts and says no to the rams for just waiting until the final year of his deal. 

I thought you were joking in your original post and that poster missed the sarcasm. You were actually serious. Wow.

• Like 4

The Rams have been 24-8 in his first 2 seasons with one of the best offense in the NFL and McVay is one of the youngest head coaches in the NFL.

McVay would probably have left the Rams at the end of his contract if the Rams would have disrespected him by not offering him a new contract and that would have been a big distraction, a bit like Jim harbaugh with the 49ers in 2014(I know it was for other reasons for Jim Harbaugh)

Many young Head Coach in the past often had problems because his HC wanted too much power and they had too much a big ego, but it does not seem to be a problem for McVay, since his GM was extended at the same time than him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Anyways, now that I know that you're serious, here's a real response. First, people claimed last off-season that McVay could crash and burn because teams had a year of tape on him. It didn't happen. He actually stepped his game up. McVay isn't some new kid in the NFL running a gimmicky system. He was OC in Washington before coming to LA and runs a WCO variant. He's not going to suddenly wake up one day and have no answers. Other coaches might force him to adjust, but every time that has happened, he has responded. I expect we'll see that he has responded to Belichick throwing down the gauntlet. 

Second, a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2004, hasn't had a winning season since 2003, and hasn't had a .500 season since 2006 doesn't suddenly get lucky and go 24-8 in 2017 and 2018 under a new coach. That team doesn't suddenly get lucky and make the Super Bowl. That's not luck. That's skill. What you're doing is akin to claiming that we couldn't have known how great Barry Sanders was going into the 1991 season because he might have gotten lucky in 1989 and 1990. C'mon, dude, you know that's a bad argument.

Third, it's not just about avoiding McVay getting angry. It's a combination of rewarding what he has accomplished and saving money. Each year, it's only going to get more expensive to extend him. It makes sense to do it now. It also shows McVay that you have complete faith in him after the Super Bowl loss and rewards him for what he accomplished. That's how you keep a guy happy and around. Simply put, there's no franchise tag with coaches. If McVay doesn't feel the love, he can coach out his contract and leave. There's no downside to showing him the love. There's no salary cap for coaches, and Kroenke isn't hurting for money.

I'm glad they are showing McVay the love. It's early, but he's staking a claim to being the second-best coach in the NFL. Why would you not lock up a guy who is that young and talented? (That's a rhetorical question.)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...