Lions Cut Theo Riddick

Sllim Pickens

I think league wide, people knew what was going down when he was on the field with the Lions. Might literally be better just converting to WR imo. (As a Lions).

I expect him to sign with KC or someone like that that'll use him out of the backfield in multiple roles. 

Edited by SimbaWho

He is still a solid pass catching RB and good at pass protection but he was too expensive to keep.  He wasn't horrible last year but his didn't seem to be able to make people miss in the open field, which is what made him so valuable a couple of years ago.   If I had to guess, I think the Lions can shift some of his production to the TE group.  Kerryon Johnson is a solid pass-catching RB as well.  I also think that they will  be finding a role for Ty Johnson passing game to take advantage of his ridiculous speed.  The sleeper here is Tom Kennedy.  He is listed as a WR but has a very similar build to Theo RIddick.  Like Theo Riddick, he seems like a slot WR/RB hybrid due to his background as a former lacrosse player.

All that being said, Theo Riddick was a good player for the Lions.  Its always tough to see quality players move on because of the business side of things.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Just great now the Pats or the Chiefs are gonna sign him and he is going to become the greatest pass-catching RB in the league.  LOL.   His production was in a decline and with the addition of TY and Zenner being a more than capable option for pass blocking and a better running option than Theo as is TY.  Smart move to save money and make the position battle less cloudy.  He will catch on with someone else soon.  I am guessing within the next 2 days.  I think that minicamp and the first 2 days of training camp have shown that Johnson's speed and his unknown ability to catch passes solidified their decision to make this move.

9 minutes ago, MrLionzz said:

Just great now the Pats or the Chiefs are gonna sign him and he is going to become the greatest pass-catching RB in the league.  LOL.   His production was in a decline and with the addition of TY and Zenner being a more than capable option for pass blocking and a better running option than Theo as is TY.  Smart move to save money and make the position battle less cloudy.  He will catch on with someone else soon.  I am guessing within the next 2 days.  I think that minicamp and the first 2 days of training camp have shown that Johnson's speed and his unknown ability to catch passes solidified their decision to make this move.

Cannot agree more. I like Theo but he was a one trick pony and Zenner has outperformed him as he is a better runner and really he was more effective in the passing game because for some reason Theo was no longer able to make people miss for YAC last year and Zenner was more effective even with YAC and much better in the screen game.

Zach Zenner has impressed in camp thus far. He just seems like a Bevell type RB with his ability to run between the tackles.

Camp notes:

-- With Kerryon Johnson out and Theo Riddick gone, C.J. Anderson was the No. 1 back. But man is there still a lot to like about Zach Zenner. He said after practice he’s bigger than ever, weighing between 220 and 225 pounds, but he moves well too. That includes exciting the (modest) crowd by scooting untouched through the second level during team drills. Anderson might wind up winning the No. 2 job, but I’m not ready to give it to him either. Zenner did a lot of good work down the stretch last year, and still looks like he can be an effective runner, especially between the tackles.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:36 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/07/detroit-lions-cut-rb-theo-riddick.html?outputType=amp

I get why they did it, especially after signing Daniels.  But till think he has as much or more value to the team than all but 2 other RBs.  We didn’t need the extra space unless they have additional moves coming.  

I dunno. 

He was a one trick pony. Only effective with one route, really. He couldn't line up wide or do anything other than those slants.

His pass blocking sucked too. 

Makes sense. I think that he was earning a Top 20 RB salary, which is too much for what he brings to the table (especially when you factor in that we are switching to a new offensive scheme). He's still a good player and will probably be good for someone else, but the Lions didn't really need him right now. 

On 7/28/2019 at 4:24 PM, D82 said:

How’s Ty Johnson looked?

As a Terps fan who thought it was crazy that he didn't get a combine invite despite his college production and ST ability (in addition to toting the rock), I plan on tracking what he does in Detroit closely.