RB Theo Riddick Signs with Broncos

carrolljcmc

1 hour ago, carrolljcmc said:

Very meh for me, 3DRB at best. If he's on the field, 95% chance we're throwing.

That is a highly accurate statement. I've appreciated everything he did for us as Lions fans. Very reliable hands and he has made plays for us. However, he is far from a running threat.

If we were a contender I could see the reasons to do this.   Lindsay is still recovering from his wrist injury and he isn’t a great route runner or pass catcher on patterns yet (great in space yes but not a refined receiver).   Booker is in his final cheap year and likely won’t be coming back. 

The thing is Riddick is both injury prone and getting to the stage where RB’s break down.   And he’s not insurance either, he’s not a guy who can take a full load.  Nor is he a good pass blocker either,  so it would be surprising if Booker was cut.   If it’s a vet min deal then there’s no financial loss.  But anything more is wasted $$.   And frankly we should be looking for the future, this is a pure 2019-only move on a team that is likely going nowhere.    It reeks of the Jamaal Charles 2017 signing - aging injury prone vet who didn’t change the overall outcome.   Hopefully the $$ invested isn’t the same either.  

Again by itself it’s not a make or break move.  But if we aren’t a realistic contender, better to take fliers on guys who could still be helping us in 2020+ when it likely matters.   Riddick isn’t likely that guy   That’s the double edged sword to DEN’s past success, though -  a full commit to  rebuild with a youth-based movement is heresy with Elway.   

Edited by Broncofan

Intrigued to see the money guarantees. I assume they aren't that bad, given that there was (apparent) competition for his signature.

Like others have said, I don't get it. I find it rather strange that Elway was fine with Devontae Booker being on the season for 2 really bad seasons, then why he finally puts some half decent football out there in 2018 (especially on 3rd down) he decides to sign a direct replacement.

I would be shocked if this doesn't mean the end for Booker, whilst also setting our RB roster already unless someone gets hurt (Lindsay, Freeman, Riddick, Janovich).

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Intrigued to see the money guarantees. I assume they aren't that bad, given that there was (apparent) competition for his signature.

Like others have said, I don't get it. I find it rather strange that Elway was fine with Devontae Booker being on the season for 2 really bad seasons, then why he finally puts some half decent football out there in 2018 (especially on 3rd down) he decides to sign a direct replacement.

I would be shocked if this doesn't mean the end for Booker, whilst also setting our RB roster already unless someone gets hurt (Lindsay, Freeman, Riddick, Janovich).

The problem is 3-fold with Riddick: 

1.  He’s not great at pass blocking and he’s not as good a runner as Booker (who is nothing special but at least offers the illusion a draw is possible).   The pass blocking is a big concern. 

2.   He’s brittle.  So that makes not having a legit other 3rd down RB who can pass block an iffy prop.  

3.  He offers zero ST versatility.   That’s huge if he’s the 3rd/4th RB.   And that’s the role if Lindsay / Freeman are the main guys.  

Frankly I’d have been fine with Booker and Muhammad / Jackson as the 3rd-4th RB and the loser on the PS.   Cheap RB talent with the last 2 that have a future if they progress with a rookie deal.   Which matters most in our realistic window to contend.  

If the $ is vet min wage there’s nothing lost $-wise but I’d still have preferred keeping future assets and min-wage Booker to save for next year.  But if he costs even 1M (or more) extra above min wage and has a locked roster spot (seems likely if the interest was multiple teams besides NO as being reported) then it’s wasted $ for a team looking to 2020+ as best-case window to contend.   And then we get to lost opportunity cost.  Guess we will see once the $ details come out. 

Edited by Broncofan

It wouldn't shock me if Riddick broke out as a runner this season. The Lions have been inept at rushing the ball, regardless of who is carrying, for a long while now. I expect scheme and blocking did him no favors when trying to run for Detroit.

At the very worst, he'll get you some 3rd down conversions you have no reason to get. His moves are Riddickulous in the open field. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:31 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Why? Would of thought there were better options or places to get actual playing time? Just don't  see it in Denver. Weird signing from both perspectives.

The Broncos offensive coordinator was with the 49ers last year and basically runs the exact same Shannahan system. If you remember last year that system uses a lot of RBs, similar to the Eagles/Patriots systems. He also came out last week and said how much he loves RBs that can catch because a LB on a RB is the biggest mismatch in the sport---4 days later they sign Riddick.

Im sure 50% of it is because they will rotate a lot of backs based of scenarios and 50% is that Riddick is similar in style to Lindsay and provides injury insurance for him.

Booker is also also the definition of JAG who is by far the least explosive RB on the roster. Riddick at least brings some big chunk play ability Booker does not.

Edited by AkronsWitness