2020 Draft Thread

Forge

On 1/3/2020 at 11:12 AM, y2lamanaki said:

It's hard to not agree with your post philosophically, but the guy who would have to find those snaps is the same guy who would be willing to take on the problem by drafting a tight end with a first round pick. 

I'm not advocating for a 2nd TE with a first round pick. But I would not be unhappy with one given who would be the one making this decision. 

As is, Juice has played less than 40% of offensive snaps in 2 of his 3 seasons here. That's greater than 60% of the snaps where a 2nd TE could potentially play. It would mean a lot more 12- and 22-personnel, but I don't think that would be a problem for Shanahan schematically or creatively. Especially if the TE has the same kind of versatility as Kittle to line up inline, in the slot, or in the backfield (basically a Ross Dwelley with far superior skills). 

Think about it- you can have Kittle, Mostert, Juice, Deebo, and this rookie TE on the field at the same time. Any of four guys on the field might run the ball (Kittle, Mostert, Deebo, Juice) and any of the five could be receiving threats. Mostert and Juice could be lined up in the backfield followed by a series of shifts resulting in Deebo being the lone player in the backfield, and you still have no idea what play is coming.

Shanahan would love that versatility and could easily design a full section of the playbook to take advantage of this grouping. 

Again, I'm not arguing for a first round tight end. As I noted earlier, I'd prefer a number of other options. But I do believe the offense needs more weapons, and if Shanahan sees value in a 2nd TE with his first pick, then I trust he will make it work.

I can see that point. And a move TE/HB/Slot/Red zone hybrid would be a neat trick and would provide a different angle than our existing personnel. Kittle has definite strengths - option routes, deep overs, crossers, screens, anything where he can break hard and/or run after the catch, but he doesn't do some of the traditional TE stuff like seam routes using body and arm length regularly (I put this on Shanahan knowing Kittle's strengths more than Jimmy G - I saw Jimmy hit a couple of dime seam routes in NE and they fit exactly what he is good at). I'm excited to see Jalen Hurd in action. Maybe motioning Hurd around into a Bill Walsh style split back game, maybe doing a bit of what you are looking for in the TE you are describing. Maybe doing five wide and motioning in to be a power back against dime and 7 DB looks. Either way, it's a way better place to be in when the roster was absolutely depleted of anything resembling talent, especially young talent, other than Buckner and Tartt a couple of years ago.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:47 PM, John232 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/pICglq9AeI 

Bored. Figured I'd give a mock a go.

What's the consensus on McKinney? 

Do-it-all safety with range and hitting ability. I haven’t looked too far into him yet, but he seems like a good replacement for Ward. 

At this point for me, it’s either re-sign Ward and trade down for more picks, or let Ward walk and target McKinney in the first round. 

In an alternate reality, Tee Higgins falls to us and we get the next A.J. Green.   

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 5:47 PM, John232 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/pICglq9AeI 

Bored. Figured I'd give a mock a go.

What's the consensus on McKinney? 

Not sure he's a FS tbh. Has a lot of tools in his bag though. Probably could be a centerfielder in the right scheme. But the old-school in me needs a FS with range and top-notch ball skills. I question his long speed as well..

Really can't wait to take a good look at Kyle Dugger at the Senior Bowl. Small school kid was some serious game. Want to see how he looks against better competition.

Edited by 757-NINER

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Not sure he's a FS tbh. Has a lot of tools in his bag though. Probably could be a centerfielder in the right scheme. But the old-school in me needs a FS with range and top-notch ball skills. I question his long speed as well..

Really can't wait to take a good look at Kyle Dugger at the Senior Bowl. Small school kid was some serious game. Want to see how he looks against better competition.

Yeah, that’s my initial read with him too. Not a center fielder, but I’m honestly not sure we’re going to try for that style of cover 3 again. Granted, I don’t have this years numbers in front of me, but it feels like we play a lot less of it compared to the last two seasons. Just too hard for us to find that guy. Rather have a guy like McKinney who has great size, instincts, physicality and ball skills even at the cost of range. 

With Witherspoon looking a bit shaken, I imagine there will be a legit training camp battle for the starting RCB job between him and Mosely. If spoon does not win that job, he's at risk to not be re-signed at the end of the 2020 season. I'm seeing an outside corner as a need in this draft with the chance of Spoon not being re-signed. Also, Sherman is a FA at the end of the 2020 season as well.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on zone corners with length and speed that can also do a bit of press man when I dive into this draft class.

As of now, in no particular order, my needs list is:

• Outside CB: As outlined above
  • RB: I think McKinnon and Coleman could be cut for cap space and Brieda will be a UFA at the end of the 2020 season. 
  • IOL: Person isn't going to be starting forever and unless they kick Brunskill inside full time, Guard is a need for me.
  • FS & SS: I don't think Ward will be re-signed and Tartt is a 30-yr-old UFA at the end of the 2020 season. 
  • WR: If Pettis gets traded or Sanders doesn't re-sign, this could be a priority need. As of now, I'm not sure how much of a need it is.
  • TE: Very minor need as Dwelley will probably be our #2 going forward. At this point it's either draft a TE late or re-sign Toilolo as the #3.
  • Like 1

Considering Richburg isn't going to be healthy for the start of the year, any chance we go for a C early on? Maybe someone who kicks out to G if Richburg returns. Or we roll with Garland, Person and Brunskill for these two spots?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Considering Richburg isn't going to be healthy for the start of the year, any chance we go for a C early on? Maybe someone who kicks out to G if Richburg returns. Or we roll with Garland, Person and Brunskill for these two spots?

I think we can find a Guard/Center in the draft. I haven't done any research on prospects yet, but I'd love to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick somehow to spend on an IOL. A guy like Erik McCoy or Garrett Bradbury type would be wonderful.

5 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Given that I think that is more of a long term issue at center, and Brunskill may very well just take over for Person, and that there are no prospects who interest me in the first round at the position, I think that is likely something that comes up later in the draft. You give them a couple of years to simmer as a back up hopefully have them ready to go in a few years. Also, given the scheme, I think that prospects who are often good fits end up falling. Usually they move well but lack power and strength, and those guys tend to fall. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Given that I think that is more of a long term issue at center, and Brunskill may very well just take over for Person, and that there are no prospects who interest me in the first round at the position, I think that is likely something that comes up later in the draft. You give them a couple of years to simmer as a back up hopefully have them ready to go in a few years. Also, given the scheme, I think that prospects who are often good fits end up falling. Usually they move well but lack power and strength, and those guys tend to fall. 

Honestly, I think it's pointless to look at 1st-round IOL. Shanahan just doesn't value them. Would he be up for one in round 2? I don't know, but every year there are really talented guys taken in round 2 who turn out to be really good starters.

• Like 1

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, I think it's pointless to look at 1st-round IOL. Shanahan just doesn't value them. Would he be up for one in round 2? I don't know, but every year there are really talented guys taken in round 2 who turn out to be really good starters.

Yeah, I don't expect the interior line until later in the draft. I agree with you that I'd like to have a third / 4th round pick in there to maybe grab someone, give them a year or two to get everything down, and then go from there. 

If we stick with our pick in the first, I'd honestly expect S / DL / WR (depending on what happens with Manny and company). Our super bowl window is now; we can't just assume that a guy like Hurd is going to come in and beast it, or Pettis is somehow going to figure it out. This draft is just insanely stacked at wide receiver, and if there is someone that we really like who drops down to us, I could absolutely see that. 

The DL is interesting because there's also a lot of moving parts there as well. 

Advanced issues found

57 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I don't expect the interior line until later in the draft. I agree with you that I'd like to have a third / 4th round pick in there to maybe grab someone, give them a year or two to get everything down, and then go from there. 

If we stick with our pick in the first, I'd honestly expect S / DL / WR (depending on what happens with Manny and company). Our super bowl window is now; we can't just assume that a guy like Hurd is going to come in and beast it, or Pettis is somehow going to figure it out. This draft is just insanely stacked at wide receiver, and if there is someone that we really like who drops down to us, I could absolutely see that. 

The DL is interesting because there's also a lot of moving parts there as well. 

I remember when I was on the pod with you and Y2 just before the trade deadline and you mentioned trading Pettis. At that point, I was not on board with it. But now, I'd be up for trading Pettis for some 2020 draft capital. You're 100% right that our SB widow is right effing now and we don't have time to wait for Pettis to get his **** together and decide if he wants to contribute or not. 

One scenario I would love to see happen would be trading Pettis for a 2020 4th and a 2021 6th. Then targeting Tee Higgins in the 1st. And re-signing Sanders of course. 

7 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Honestly, I don't see why would any team give a 4th for Pettis, with what he's shown so far. My guess is that he will come to camp with a last chance to prove himself, if he doesn't, he might simply be cut.

The Bills got a 5th for Zay Jones. I'd guess that would be the market.