If Dak has a bad or so/so year....

TheGame316

Lets say the 'Boys let Dak play out this year as a "prove it" and he disappoints...

Do you still try to sign Dak on a lower $$$ deal (Would still likely be $22-25)?

Do you sign a mid tier Free Agent QB as a game manager?

Do you draft a Mid 1st rookie QB and move on immediately

What are the Cowboys options beyond this season if Dak isn't the "It" guy?

5 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Lets say the 'Boys let Dak play out this year as a "prove it" and he disappoints...

Do you still try to sign Dak on a lower $$$ deal (Would still likely be $22-25)?

Do you sign a mid tier Free Agent QB as a game manager?

Do you draft a Mid 1st rookie QB and move on immediately

What are the Cowboys options beyond this season if Dak isn't the "It" guy?

If any of this happens he'll get hit with the transition tag. If he is even what he's been he gets franchised if they don't work out a deal. There's already negotiations. He'll be here next year one way or another. 

Would it be so terrible to draft a QB in the 1st round? It's literally been 30 years since we tried that. Romo did very well, and Dak does some things well, but it would be nice to have a QB with all world potential instead of a try hard that worked his way up and is graded by how far he exceeded small expectations. 

The question is what I would do if Dak plays poorly on a prove it deal? That's easy. I let him walk, and probably get a comp pick. What's the point of a prove it deal if you are going to sign him regardless of his play?

And if our QB is playing poorly then what are the risks associated with not having him? I don't get it. "It could be worse," is not a progressive way to evaluate your roster and make decisions. In this scenario, if Dak is playing "bad" or "so -so" he should be replaced. It shouldn't matter if he is the absolute worse QB. If he is a bad starting NFL QB, but not the worst then he can be a backup. That's where those guys go.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Would it be so terrible to draft a QB in the 1st round? It's literally been 30 years since we tried that. Romo did very well, and Dak does some things well, but it would be nice to have a QB with all world potential instead of a try hard that worked his way up and is graded by how far he exceeded small expectations. 

The question is what I would do if Dak plays poorly on a prove it deal? That's easy. I let him walk, and probably get a comp pick. What's the point of a prove it deal if you are going to sign him regardless of his play?

And if our QB is playing poorly then what are the risks associated with not having him? I don't get it. "It could be worse," is not a progressive way to evaluate your roster and make decisions. In this scenario, if Dak is playing "bad" or "so -so" he should be replaced. It shouldn't matter if he is the absolute worse QB. If he is a bad starting NFL QB, but not the worst then he can be a backup. That's where those guys go.

I think it depends on how bad we finish if he plays poorly. If we get a decent pick then let him walk and get the comp pick. If were still a middle of the pack team with no shot at a decent QB in 1st round, I franchise Dak and bring in competition and make him battle it out for 1 year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CAPJ said:

I think it depends on how bad we finish if he plays poorly. If we get a decent pick then let him walk and get the comp pick. If were still a middle of the pack team with no shot at a decent QB in 1st round, I franchise Dak and bring in competition and make him battle it out for 1 year.

I see what you are saying, but we don't need a top 2 pick. Patrick Mahomes, D. Watson, Haskins, Paxton Lynch, Lamar Jackson, Rosen, Aaron Rodgers... etc... were all outside the top 10.  We don't ask very much from our QB. 

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000001040390%2FPaxton-Lynch-s-best-plays-vs-former-team-Preseason-Week-1

• Like 1

Frankly one of the few things I am not worried about is Dak but then I don’t have the expectations of a lot of people here   I don’t need to see him play at a Rogers/Brady  level to be happyand for this team to win the super bowl   If he continues to play like he has past few years overall then we will be fine I am more worried that for the second time in four years again the team is distracted by their best player not being available possibly all year long and we as a team had zero preparation with the draft-and off season  to replace him

Edited by quiller

Honestly, I would let Dak walk after this year.  We would get a high comp pick for him.  Then, I would start Rush in 2020.  If rush plays too well, I’d bench him and bring back brad Johnson.  I would do everything possible to secure the #1 pick after the 2020 season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Honestly, I would let Dak walk after this year.  We would get a high comp pick for him.  Then, I would start Rush in 2020.  If rush plays too well, I’d bench him and bring back brad Johnson.  I would do everything possible to secure the #1 pick after the 2020 season.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Assuming the defense is good, The Oline is solid and Zeke is back and 100% and Dak is the guy holding things back

How do you feel about, assuming he's available....

Tom Brady?

Edited by TheGame316

5 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

If Dak's agent won't budge,  I would explore trading for Case Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater.  

Bridgewater at $15 mill vs Dak at $35 Mill?

Could have a shot at a lot of bridge QBs after this year. Bridgewater, Tannehill, Mariota, Winston potentially could all be available.