The case for starting Haskins week 1 is strong

turtle28

ELs-pQ.gif

give him a redshirt year or the risk is much higher he’s a bust. He has poor mechanics, poor accuracy, little experience and only played 13 games in semi pro football. His team last year would beat his current team

He has a long way to go and the left side of our line in in shambles. Playing him is the dumbest move as he won’t play 3 games before he’s injured or shell shocked and you’ve ruined an asset you paid a lot to acquire 

Before we overreact... remember some things. It’s preseason, many great qbs have thrown some (actually a lot) bad picks, he’s not going to start week 1, looked good on some throws. It’s one quarter of football, he will only get better and will have time to do so before playing in meaningful games, as we all know Case Keenum is going to start week one. 

Haskins definitely showed he has the most talent, but also showed he has the most to learn as well. He doesn't do the the little things as crisp as you want your starting QB to do. Footwoork, standing in the pocket too long, not throwing the ball away, throwing into triple coverage for example. While he also showed the arm strengh and ball placement abilties that looked great. The game didn't look too much for him as far as leading the team in the huddle and calling plays. The offense seemed to move well with him under center. He just seems to need more time to learn the playbook and work on his mechanics so he can run the offense more smoothly and efficiently. What I saw is a guy who if he get's time to put all the tools togther he can light it up. He can make NFL throws.

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Before we overreact... remember some things. It’s preseason, many great qbs have thrown some (actually a lot) bad picks, he’s not going to start week 1, looked good on some throws. It’s one quarter of football, he will only get better and will have time to do so before playing in meaningful games, as we all know Case Keenum is going to start week one. 

But most of my jokes would be ruined!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Slateman said:

But dude, we can just slide over that offensive lineman we took fifth overall and he can play LT!!!

There's no reason to rush Haskins. This season isn't about winning. Haskins is extremely raw and you can see it even in practices. 

According to the front office and coaches, this season is about winning.  Big, giant disconnect in the fan perception and their perception of the roster.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

According to the front office and coaches, this season is about winning.  Big, giant disconnect in the fan perception and their perception of the roster.  

I think it used to be the same for both parties: overrating the roster. Now it is just the FO/Bruce. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Publicly it's about winning. In private, I'm sure they have the same evaluation as we do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Publicly it's about winning. In private, I'm sure they have the same evaluation as we do.

That is why I do not believe that Jay Gruden's job is in jeopardy this season, provided the bottom doesn't completely fall out.  6-10 or 7-9 with some growth of Haskins probably nets him another season.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That is why I do not believe that Jay Gruden's job is in jeopardy this season, provided the bottom doesn't completely fall out.  6-10 or 7-9 with some growth of Haskins probably nets him another season.  

Sure, but he ain't winning 6+ games with Haskins under center. 

On 8/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, Skins212689 said:

With two Veteran QB's and Alex Smith their to really sit/talk/teach/ect Haskins (who was only a 1 year starter) in college I don't really see the case for him starting. Also with Williams gone I don't want to chance him getting hurt unless I have too. Depending on how the Left side looks tonight would determine how much Haskins plays tonight as well. Hey's not getting sacked 4-5 times be the left side of the Defense and staying in the game. Hopefully Penn works out, but we don't know yet. Reports say Trent is done with the team until change is made on the medical staff. Their lack of awareness or lack of reality could really come to bite them. They definitely need to be in the market for a LT next season, even maybe now!

They have Donald Penn. Penn isn’t Trent but he’s a good enough LT who can start and play well enough to keep the QB mostly protected.

18 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

What do you expect them to say? Of course they’re going to say that even if they know their QB situation isn’t in a place where they can be division championship contenders.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, Slateman said:

Sure, but he ain't winning 6+ games with Haskins under center. 

If Trent Williams doesn’t come back, almost certainly not.

As I’ve been saying since I thought Giants were going to draft him (and traded OBJ), Haskins is going to be even more dependent on the personnel around him than the typical rookie QB. He lacks most of the things that rookies usually fall back on to help them compete early on in the NFL — elite mobility, lots of college game experience, perfect mechanics/fundamentals, etc. 

Without those things, the only way he’s going to be remotely successful is if he’s put in a situation where the people around him will make it easier for him. With good coaching, a strong/reliable OL, a consistent run game, and dependable weapons (WRs, but also RBs and TEs to be the outlets that young QBs often lean on), a young QB like Haskins could hold his own, simply because they wouldn’t be asking much of him. 

I think he has good offensive coaching here, and I expect the RB group to be pretty solid. If Reed and Thompson could each give us 13+ healthy games, that would be a huge boost to a young QB. But the WR group is not good at all, and even that is probably a generous description based on high hopes for McLaurin and Quinn. And while the OL could be pretty good if all the pieces are in place, the cornerstone appears to be digging in on his boycott — and even if he does return, the injury bug is always waiting in the shadows to bite guys like Trent, Moses, and Scherff. 

Putting Haskins out there (especially from day one) behind some combination of Penn/Christian and Flowers/Martin on his blind side is a recipe for absolute disaster. He will improve, rapidly I would wager, and having the real right side of the OL out there instead of Zac Kerin and Timon Parris will make a huge difference. But he’s just not equipped (yet) to handle having to get the ball out quickly or start running for his life.