The case for starting Haskins week 1 is strong

turtle28

Kevin Sheehan had Chris Raybon of the Action Network on his podcast back in May and Al Galdi had Chris on his show last week and Kevin - who's back on the Team980 from 7am to 10 or 11 am?? - talked about the interview this week.

Chris did an in-depth analysis - @Woz style - on how successful drafted qbs are if they start right away vs if they wait a year or more. His analysis showed that it's better for rookie qbs to start right away and develop while playing live-action. 

There have been cases of qbs not starting right away and develop into good or greet qbs but generally, that happened if the young QB was stuck behind a great starter and had to wait until that QB retired.

• Like 1

I listened to Sheehan's podcast, with Cooley, yesterday. My takeaways were as follows:

1 - If Colt doesn't play much in the preseason, he's the starter. At this point, I think that's what's going to happen. Gruden's job is on the line (he's pretty much screwed no matter what) so he's going to go with guy that knows the system the best.

2 - They should get Haskins as many touches as they can in the preseason.

3 - If Colt starts the year out under center, and they have a slow start, they may as well play Haskins and let him learn on the fly.

4 - Haskins will probably have a tough go of it. He was a one year starter and OSU's system was pretty basic. The comp is Trubisky... not player comp... but situation comp. Struggled the first year... much better the second. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

he would get slaughtered without trent

But dude, we can just slide over that offensive lineman we took fifth overall and he can play LT!!!

There's no reason to rush Haskins. This season isn't about winning. Haskins is extremely raw and you can see it even in practices. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slateman said:

But dude, we can just slide over that offensive lineman we took fifth overall and he can play LT!!!

There's no reason to rush Haskins. This season isn't about winning. Haskins is extremely raw and you can see it even in practices. 

The problem is that backups don't get many reps during the season.  

19 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Totally okay with that. We can let him practice with second stringers for a while and then look at starting him after Week 10 or so. 

It’ll probably be before. It wouldn’t shock me if we start the season 0-5, at best 2-3. If we don’t have a winning record in October then the pressure will be strong to start Haskins.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’ll probably be before. It wouldn’t shock me if we start the season 0-5, at best 2-3. If we don’t have a winning record in October then the pressure will be strong to start Haskins.

If we're that bad, then there is nothing to gained by risking Haskins until later in the season.

The only reason Hasksins should start is if there is clearly a problem with QBs being unable to make certain throws, AND, Haskins has dramatically improved

• Like 1

With two Veteran QB's and Alex Smith their to really sit/talk/teach/ect Haskins (who was only a 1 year starter) in college I don't really see the case for him starting. Also with Williams gone I don't want to chance him getting hurt unless I have too. Depending on how the Left side looks tonight would determine how much Haskins plays tonight as well. Hey's not getting sacked 4-5 times be the left side of the Defense and staying in the game. Hopefully Penn works out, but we don't know yet. Reports say Trent is done with the team until change is made on the medical staff. Their lack of awareness or lack of reality could really come to bite them. They definitely need to be in the market for a LT next season, even maybe now!