Carolina v 49ers, week 1 GDT: Football is Back!

Forge

Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most

• Solomon Thomas
    • Reuben Foster
    • Marquise Goodwin
    • Pierre Garcon
    • George Kittle
    • Robbie Gould...because kickers are people too

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Pretty much where I am. I don't know how we stop Olsen and Benjamin in the receiving game at critical junctures. I Think we will largely bottle and contain the running game, though their stats may appear more impressive than they actually are with possible broken plays and Cam scrambling and breaking free. 

I really don't worry about the o-line in protection. Not that we are great in that regard or anything, but Hoyer is very quick at getting rid of the ball, and I expect a ton of quick hitters, roll outs, etc that will help neutralize that rush. 

I thinks that's how we'll attack this defense, with a bunch of quick hitters and the running game sprinkled in but when we do that to cover up our OL deficiencies we are playing into the Panthers defensive strength with Thompson, Davis and Kuechly playing LB for them. It'll be interesting, I'm sure we'll have some success on offense and I think our defense can and will get a couple of stops for sure, but for 60 minutes...that's another story.

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

I thinks that's how we'll attack this defense, with a bunch of quick hitters and the running game sprinkled in but when we do that to cover up our OL deficiencies we are playing into the Panthers defensive strength with Thompson, Davis and Kuechly playing LB for them. It'll be interesting, I'm sure we'll have some success on offense and I think our defense can and will get a couple of stops for sure, but for 60 minutes...that's another story.

Boom. This is it for me. I Think we will do a respectable job early on, but I Really see them pulling away the final quarter and a half, maybe adding a pointless touchdown that makes it look further off than the game really was. 

The Carolina defense really isn't that great, I think we saw last year when kuechly was out that they aren't half the defense without him. Short is good too, but Starr is pretty unimpressive so far in his career. And their secondary is underwhelming too. Just not that great of a team really, they aren't the same as 2 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The Carolina defense really isn't that great, I think we saw last year when kuechly was out that they aren't half the defense without him. Short is good too, but Starr is pretty unimpressive so far in his career. And their secondary is underwhelming too. Just not that great of a team really, they aren't the same as 2 years ago. 

But Kuechly isn't out this game so far as I know...

He's not out though haha and those young CBs they ran out there last year now have one year of experience under their belts. Shortt is a very underrated disrupter in the middle of that defense and Starr is quite a run stopper. 

Im not saying we won't have any success against them but this is still a good defense with difference makers on it.

So looking forward to this game and the season. :) Cut my holiday short in fiji to make sure i was back in oz to watch this game. 

I figure we have a good offensive game plan and put up a fair few points but our defence struggles to get pressure on cam and the panthers just get the win. 

14 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

So looking forward to this game and the season. :) Cut my holiday short in fiji to make sure i was back in oz to watch this game. 

I figure we have a good offensive game plan and put up a fair few points but our defence struggles to get pressure on cam and the panthers just get the win. 

You sir are a dedicated fan :D.

9 hours ago, DangerMcRyan said:

Lets not forget JUICE! I think we can catch people off guard for a while I think Juice and Goodwin will surprise.

This is an underrated factor going into week 1. We really didn't show the offensive weapon that Juszczyk will be in the preseason, and might have been hiding him as our utility knife. Usually, when two FBs/TEs were in the game, it was McDonald/Paulsen. That clearly won't be the case anymore. Goodwin got a good chance to show off his new routes in the preseason for a bit, but I still expect big things from him. 

Welcome back!

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm a little worried about Kittle being hobbled by that hamstring. Celek and Paulsen are going to have to carry some of the rookie's weight. 

Tank Carradine is my pick to have a big game laying the wood on Cam. 

Yeah, we haven't really talked about Kittle's issues. Disconcerting to say the least. Especially given that it's a hamstring - those things have a knack for sticking around entire seasons and longer. I'm hoping he's not a guy that is subject to soft tissue nagging injuries. I am really high on him, but he's got to be 100% on the field. 

Archived