Week One Gameday Thread

naptownskinsfan

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Jake Fromm had a solid game, but when Jacob Eason puts up over 300 yards and four TDs, and Justin Fields has five TDs and nearly 300 total yards, you've got to do a little better that 15/23 for 156 yards and 1 TD. 

Before Kirby decided to just phone in the game after going up 21-0, Fromm was something like 7-8 with hitting those deep passes to Cager and Robertson(called back). The offense was just dealing, but of course Kirby decided to just shut down even single play that wasnt a dive behind the line. Fromm threw just one pass in the third quarter. Cant really keep momentum going or consistency when you dont even throw the ball.

I just hope its the first game of the year and not wanting to put anything on tape before the Notre Dame game, but if this offense isnt at least opened up a little by October, there is no chance this team can beat Clemson or Alabama. Georgia has the talent and the coaching staff and everything else you can think of, but until Kirby really puts his faith in his staff and players, I dont see them getting that National Championship, which sucks because they are in that tier that can win it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Before Kirby decided to just phone in the game after going up 21-0, Fromm was something like 7-8 with hitting those deep passes to Cager and Robertson(called back). The offense was just dealing, but of course Kirby decided to just shut down even single play that wasnt a dive behind the line. Fromm threw just one pass in the third quarter. Cant really keep momentum going or consistency when you dont even throw the ball.

I just hope its the first game of the year and not wanting to put anything on tape before the Notre Dame game, but if this offense isnt at least opened up a little by October, there is no chance this team can beat Clemson or Alabama. Georgia has the talent and the coaching staff and everything else you can think of, but until Kirby really puts his faith in his staff and players, I dont see them getting that National Championship, which sucks because they are in that tier that can win it all.

I agree with all of that, great post.  

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

There needs to somehow be set agreements between the champions of these leagues to play each other. MWC champ gets Vegas now and Sun Belt goes to New Orleans, but there is no real pecking order for the AAC or USA. It should be champion vs champion in Hawaii or Idaho or somewhere. Id rather see this than a 10 win Memphis or Cincinnati playing a 6 win team from the SEC in Birmingham or a 6 win team in Annapolis.

Boise/Fresno/Nevada/Utah State vs Cincinnati/Memphis/UCF in Hawaii and Appalachian State vs North Texas/La Tech in New Orleans.

As someone who has attended the Military Bowl, it is definitely it's best when Navy is one of the teams attending, or the teams are within good travel distance.  One of the first years was Virginia Tech/Cincinnati, and that was a great crowd.  Before Maryland moved to the Big Ten, they had a game there as well which matched the Navy turnouts.  Bowls like this should be regionalized.  Nothing sucks more than an empty stadium for many of these games.  

I agree that the champions should play each other.  Definitely in favor of that.  

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Missouri and Tennessee fans have started the “SEC SEC SEC chant” early this year watching Alabama play every game from this point out. What an embarrassing weekend for them. They’ll continue to stand on Nick Sabans shoulders and call themselves tall.

Tennessee has the most to be worried about with that loss.  Pruitt's been recruiting well, and you've got to think some of the guys in this cycle are having early second thoughts.  I had Georgia's away game at Tennessee listed as a potential trap game for us, but now I'm not as worried about it. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27522704/am-hocker-says-beat-clemson-saturday

A&M player predicting a win over Clemson. I don’t like their chances. However, they are the best team on that schedule. A win and you can pretty much put the Tigers back in the playoff with an undefeated record.

SEC not off to a great start this year. Unlikely, but this would be the win, in theory, that would help the conference out for those middle teams. 

With UConn leaving the American ND's loss to them on Senior Day 10 years ago looks even worse now.

Speaking of which if UConn bombs again this season Edsall will certainly be out. If that happens, I want Jim Tressel to be his replacement. UConn could really use someone like him.