College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Reports from scouts coming out of the combine is that Jordan Love's interviews were unanimously cheeks.

Info on Herbert's interviews aren't leaking out. Stuff always leaks out though so it's only a matter of time.

Hopefully, the cheeks reports are leaking out as disinformation but it seems unlikely due to his many and consistent the reports on Love are.

What does it mean that they were cheeks?

Man, we have had some bad draft picks. The worst decision of all of them might still be Justin Gilbert. That dude was a bum who completely flamed out and never even sniffed being a guy who should play. Perfect case of a guy who took the money and ran.

I have heard reports that Cleveland likes OT Ezra Cleveland but I hope this is not the case.  He had great combine numbers but from all accounts I have followed suggest buyer beware.  He is the next Kolton Miller and thus cheeks.  I have heard rumors that Miami may draft him with there last first round pick. I pray this happens and draft prospects like Robert Hunt, Jack Driscoll, and Netane Muti are who we actually target.

On a side note what are everyone's thoughts on Shaq Quarterman and T.J. Brunson? I think both will be available later in the draft and I know they are considered two down linebackers that lack range, but they are heat seeking missles that like to lay the wood on opposing players and their strengths are tackling which is something this team could improve on.

Here is a profile of Shaq

Summary - Shaq Quarterman is old school! This is a violent hitter in the middle who thrives in run defending and blitzing as a forward playing linebacker who imposes his will on the opposition. Terrific finisher as a tackler and tremendous pop in his pads. His pass coverage contributions will be minimal due to his lack of range, but teams in need of some *THUD* in run support would be wise to scoop him up. Savvy to help mask his physical restrictions but at his core he's an early down LB. 

And T.J.

PROS: A physical SOB who plays with more tenacity and competitive toughness than anyone on the field. Plays with a nonstop motor and as if there were no whistle. Possesses tone-setting stopping power and is a consistent, reliable finisher in both traffic and the open field. A natural leader who energizes everyone around him. Trusts his instincts and is rarely out of position. Understands lane discipline and angle trajectory. Offers value as a situational pass rusher and blitzer. Three-year starter with excellent production.

Edited by Horseunit
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

I have heard reports that Cleveland likes OT Ezra Cleveland but I hope this is not the case.  He had great combine numbers but from all accounts I have followed suggest buyer beware.  He is the next Kolton Miller and thus cheeks.  I have heard rumors that Miami may draft him with there last first round pick. I pray this happens and draft prospects like Robert Hunt, Jack Driscoll, and Netane Muti are who we actually target.

On a side note what are everyone's thoughts on Shaq Quarterman and T.J. Brunson? I think both will be available later in the draft and I know they are considered two down linebackers that lack range, but they are heat seeking missles that like to lay the wood on opposing players and their strengths are tackling which is something this team could improve on.

I disagree on Ezra. He’s finesse, but he’d fit our scheme as a LT.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I disagree on Ezra. He’s finesse, but he’d fit our scheme as a LT.

If there's a Kolton Miller in this 2020 offensive tackle class, it's Boise State's Ezra Cleveland. He is in the upper echelon of functional athleticism at the position, but he hasn't yet shown the ability to maximize those gifts in pass protection. His sloppy habits in pass protection and inconsistent hand timing mirroring rushers largely overshadow his quickness and mobility. Like Miller coming out of UCLA, Cleveland plays too tall and upright, which makes him susceptible in his pass set anchor if he misses his initial punch. He is the ideal development offensive tackle who should be drafted in the third round because of his athletic upside and zone blocking profile, but I have a bad feeling some team is going to be disappointed with their return on investment if he is drafted any higher, especially if he is forced into action right away.

taken from https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-mailbag-february-14-2020-jonah-tuls

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

What does it mean that they were cheeks?

I specifically heard the following:

1.) His ownership of issues with the offense collapses after repeated prodding and criticism of his game. That is, when asked about Utah State's and his offensive struggles last year his default responses is the calculated one where he takes ownership but when repeatedly pressed and criticized a harshly he then started pointing fingers and assigning blame to his teammates revealing that he neither has the self-control to restrain his true thoughts in an interview setting where teams are trying to expose character flaws nor does he have the desire to accept ownership as the primary leader.

2.) Relatedly, Love apparently demonstrated a lack of desired self-awareness in general. Now, tons of 20 year olds are in the same boat, but for teams looking to turn over the reigns of their billion dollar organization/business to a young leader Love's responses caused concerns.

I was told however that after one of the really bad interviews that a few scouts pulled Love aside and coached him up on how to respond better in other interviews with the goal that he give a better performance to teams so that Love won't plummet his draft stock.

37 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

If there's a Kolton Miller in this 2020 offensive tackle class, it's Boise State's Ezra Cleveland. He is in the upper echelon of functional athleticism at the position, but he hasn't yet shown the ability to maximize those gifts in pass protection. His sloppy habits in pass protection and inconsistent hand timing mirroring rushers largely overshadow his quickness and mobility. Like Miller coming out of UCLA, Cleveland plays too tall and upright, which makes him susceptible in his pass set anchor if he misses his initial punch. He is the ideal development offensive tackle who should be drafted in the third round because of his athletic upside and zone blocking profile, but I have a bad feeling some team is going to be disappointed with their return on investment if he is drafted any higher, especially if he is forced into action right away.

taken from https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-mailbag-february-14-2020-jonah-tuls

Kolton Miller was also 6'9" with 34"+ arms.

He was a much much larger and longer human even when just looking at his body composition.

Miller had far more natural/raw ability than Cleveland.

I was a big fan of his at times in 2018 before his turf toe derailed his movement skills in 2019, but the real issue with his game is that Ezra's athleticism is not football functional.

Two of the same sized athletes can be timed in with the same 40 yard time and raw athleticism numbers but the two could be completely different in their natural body and bio-mechanical coordination, as well as their natural feel for how/when to move their body to make blocks.

Ezra just isn't a natural moving, innate, instinctive feel for the game Tackle. Despite his athleticism his feet pacing is slow and sloppy. It's not functional for football skill.

Now, what he is good at is running down the line and hitting targets in space. He's also is a highly competitive blocker and battles through injury.

Ultimately, he doesn't have that it factor or instinct to just get guys blocked as he often plays like a slow footed, slow athlete allowing defenders just to run around him or through him.

You can squint and see a future impact player worthy of a 3rd round pick, but I don't believe in his feel for the game to the point that I'd likely only put a 5th round grade on him (he'll go much higher than that though).

Last mock before free agency:

Free Agency:

Browns trade both 3rd round picks for Trent Williams.

Draft:

1. Andrew Thomas, LT, Georgia

2. Alton Robinson, DE, Syracuse

4. Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota

6. Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest

7. Dalton Keene, TE / FB, Virginia Tech

2021 needs: Safety, Linebacker, Tight End (maybe), Wide Receiver (maybe), Defensive tackle (maybe)

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Last mock before free agency:

Free Agency:

Browns trade both 3rd round picks for Trent Williams.

Hate it to be honest.

Draft:

1. Andrew Thomas, LT, Georgia

Nice pick. 

2. Alton Robinson, DE, Syracuse

This is way too early for him. He's a 4th-5th round kind of guy. And I don't view DE as a pressing need.

4. Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota

I like the player, but not the fit. We have big-bodied WR's on the roster already that are capable of doing what Johnson can.

6. Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest

Favorite sleeper in the draft. I think he becomes a legitimate star CB.

7. Dalton Keene, TE / FB, Virginia Tech

Don't know much about him to be honest.

I would be pretty meh about this draft, to be completely honest.

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Hate it to be honest.

My rationale is that Trent would help us for 5 more years. Those 3rd rounders are hit or miss.

Also, Tyler Johnson is just a name of a guy I like. You could replace him with any WR and I’d be fine.

Edited by candyman93

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s optimistic imo

It’s also incredibly optimistic to think 3rd rounders will contribute to this team.

Since we’ve been back here are the only 3rd rounders we’ve drafted that contributed to this team:

Duke Johnson

Christian Kirksey

Larry Ogunjobi

2/3 were / are injury prone and then there’s Larry.