College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah when just about every team has a need at that position, there aren’t going to be too many bargains to be had.

Unfortunately.

I'd sign 2 bargain bin OT's that fit the ZBS. Jason Spriggs and George Fant.

Both are purely depth signings, but Fant could play in a serious pinch.

The fact that Conklin wants a MASSIVE deal is kind of surprising. I know he's young and good, but the dude's been unhealthy and is merely average at best in pass pro. He's going to have a bad contract number for somebody, it appears. Sad, because I was all about bringing him in until I heard the lofty numbers.

23 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Unfortunately.

I'd sign 2 bargain bin OT's that fit the ZBS. Jason Spriggs and George Fant.

Both are purely depth signings, but Fant could play in a serious pinch.

What’s the cost for those guys though?  

23 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

The fact that Conklin wants a MASSIVE deal is kind of surprising. I know he's young and good, but the dude's been unhealthy and is merely average at best in pass pro. He's going to have a bad contract number for somebody, it appears. Sad, because I was all about bringing him in until I heard the lofty numbers.

Can’t blame the guy.  You only get a couple chances like this if you’re lucky, no sense in not maximizing your earnings.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s the cost for those guys though?  

1,000,000/2,000,000/yr?

Not much, I'd bet. They've never been entrenched starters.

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Can’t blame the guy.  You only get a couple chances like this if you’re lucky, no sense in not maximizing your earnings.

Oh absolutely. His value shouldn't be that high, but some team will be willing to pay it. He'll get paid 2x what he's actually worth, as do most young FA's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

1,000,000/2,000,000/yr?

In that case, yes.

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Not much, I'd bet. They've never been entrenched starters.

Oh absolutely. His value shouldn't be that high, but some team will be willing to pay it. He'll get paid 2x what he's actually worth, as do most young FA's.

Yep.  That’s why I generally hate going big in FA.  Not many bargains when you’re literally pay top of the market prices.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If we aren't drafting an OT in the 1st, my top choice is to trade down and take one of the stud WR's (Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs).

I assume you mean if Young, Okudah, Brown, and Simmons are all also gone too, correct?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

They will be all gone.

I guess what I'm saying is, assuming that ALL of those four are gone, that also means:

Burrow and Tua are gone, potentially Herbert as well.

That means 6 guys are DEFINITELY gone, likely 7.

Meaning that one of Wills, Wirfs, or Thomas is available.

IMO, we'd be foolish to pass on any of these three.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

And I'd easily take Brown or Young. The other two? I'd still consider a trade down to acquire assets.

I think Simmons is going to be a STUD. I feel the same about Okudah, but I understand passing on him due to us having Ward/Greedy. Albeit, moving one of those three to a slot/FS on a full time basis would intrigue me.

24 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Question: How would Isaiah Simmons help stop our 30th ranked run defense?

I mean, stacking and shedding in the hole isn’t his strong suit obviously, but he’s as good as you’re going to find sideline to sideline.

And obviously there’s more to defense than just stopping the run.

I think the way we most improve our run defense is by putting some points on the board and forcing teams to try to pass to win in the second half as opposed to jus try to kill the clock.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Question: How would Isaiah Simmons help stop our 30th ranked run defense?

By tackling the running back?

no one single player is going to stop anything on their own. But what he would do is finally give us someone to defend TEs with. 

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, stacking and shedding in the hole isn’t his strong suit obviously, but he’s as good as you’re going to find sideline to sideline.

I think it's a great strength of his actually. He's thin, but he uses his long arms to lock out blockers and make plays. I was expecting to see him getting obliterated, but he has long limbs and knows how to use them.

I don't think Simmons really struggles with anything other than identifying guys in his zone in coverage. He's obviously a capable pass defender, but he often loses sight of where the receiver is when dropping to a spot. He's much better in man. It's the same problem Jerome Baker had in college. He was a stud athlete, but struggled to identify patterns and rob those pesky sit/dig/slant routes.

• Like 1