College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

There’s one and 3 very good ones 

They are all elite TALENTS.

Becton still has more to show

He's an absolute monster. He played well in college. Can he consistently pass set? He was good at it in college, but didn't do it often.

Wirfs isn’t proven at LT

No he isn't, but he's also a physical freak of nature and the literal prefect fit for a ZBS.

Thomas is very good but I wouldn’t say elite

Why? He's elite in pass protection. Sloppy in run blocking, but gives high effort and is strong at the point of attack.

there are a ton of ways to win in the NFL but I believe Brown/Simmons/Okudah would make a bigger impact to the team than a tackle.

There are also a ton of ways to lose in the NFL and not protecting your QB would be at the top of the list. Taking one of those guys would be fine. But it would still leave our biggest problem unsolved.

id rather go tackle in the second. I feel that elite talent at an impact position is the better way to go. At least in this draft with the players on the board 

Who would you take in the 2nd round? If the OT's in the top 10 aren't proven, why would it be better in the 2nd? Besides, we need 2 OT's, not just 1.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If so, IMO, that means that one of Simmons, Young, Okudah, or Brown are there.

Burrow/Tua

4 OT

...the math works.

If someone drafts Herbert there, that means TWO of those guys are remaining. While this scenario would be extremely disappointing, that means we have our choice between the last one left of Simmons/Okudah/Brown, if not two of those guys.

I was going to say the same thing. This wouldn't be that terrible of a scenario since we would land a blue-chip player and then be able to nab someone like Ezra Cleveland in round 2.

I would be a bit surprised if the Browns have ALL of the alleged top 10 tackles in the top 10.  Between Wirfs, Wills, Thomas, and Becton, I would imagine that they have their eye on 1 or 2 of them.  If those guys are off the board, and we don't see a Simmons or Okudah there, I could see a trade down scenario.  

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

That would suck. I highly doubt that happens though.

If it does happen, Derrick Brown would be my main target. If not, complete a massive trade down.

Oh buy the way congratulations on your

Engagement

I am on the record for signing both tackles but after seeing this group of tackles I am just going to stay put

Take what the draft gives me  and play.

Some of the line choices could easily yield 2 all pro linemen from the draft on rookie contracts.

Just now, mtmmike said:

Oh buy the way congratulations on your

Engagement

I am on the record for signing both tackles but after seeing this group of tackles I am just going to stay put

Take what the draft gives me  and play.

Some of the line choices could easily yield 2 all pro linemen from the draft on rookie contracts.

Thanks babe!

And yeah, I'm moving towards taking 3 OL and starting all of them this year.

#10--Tristan Wirfs/OT
3rd--Hakeem Adeniji/OG or OT
3rd--Jack Driscoll/OT

Wirfs and Adeniji both could play OG too. So see who works out at OT and make it happen.

• Like 1

Some of the projected numbers could make for interesting discussions 

Myles Garrett free agent increase from year 5 of rookie deal

8.5 million

Baker increase 14 million

Ward increase nothing because of injury history

Landry no foreseen increase

Obj no foreseen increase

This would mean for the next 5 years we could sign 2 all pros

If we hit on these tackles

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's an absolute monster. He played well in college. Can he consistently pass set? He was good at it in college, but didn't do it often

He had close to 100 Less pass Sets compared to the other top tackles but has twice as many pressures given up. Not a fan of him really, compared to the others. 

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Some of the projected numbers could make for interesting discussions 

Myles Garrett free agent increase from year 5 of rookie deal

8.5 million

Baker increase 14 million

Ward increase nothing because of injury history

Landry no foreseen increase

Obj no foreseen increase

This would mean for the next 5 years we could sign 2 all pros

If we hit on these tackles

I'd agree that we are in great shape moving forward. In fact, I am feeling very optimistic with how Berry and Co. are going to work the cap.

We will be fine. I know everyone is fixated on the offensive tackle position. Free agency and trade season have not even started yet. If we don’t love one of the guys in the draft at that spot when our pick rolls around, it’s OK, because we have a lot of other week areas too and could use one of those other great players. At this stage it’s not something to give too much worry about. I will be more interested in those hypothetical situations after free agency is over.