Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

On 3/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, Heimdallr said:

so what is the deal with Civ V and Civ VI? I've never played a Civilization game before.

VI is $60 and has mixed reviews. V is $30 and has massively positive reviews.

Should I just get V? What does VI add?

I don't know how I missed this from post from a couple weeks ago but Civ V and Civ VI both have different mechanics that change how you have to play the game. They're both the same premise of turn-based strategy and leading a civilization from the dawn of time to global victory through military domination, politics, science, culture, or religion. There are some different Civilizations in each game, and some overlap, but they all have unique bonuses that change how you'd want to approach the game.

I think the biggest difference between the two installments is that Civ5, you didn't have to manage where you put things in your city. You could just build a barracks, or a university and they'd be there. In Civ6, you have districts and that you'd have to place in each city, and they'd have different effects or bonuses based on where they were placed, such as next to another district or next to some type of terrain. It definitely added an additional layer of complexity.

I think the mixed reviews for Civ6 has more to do with how popular 5 was making fans extra critical of any followup. The new art style was pretty controversial too. If you haven't played one and wanted to try it, I think $30 for Civ5 is a great deal, especially if it comes with the G&K and BNW DLCs. They're both great, but for an introduction to the series, the cheaper is definitely the better option IMO. 

The games definitely invigorate my curiosity for history. I've always at least read through the wikipedia page for the Civilization leaders I've played. Plus, it's fun to think of the alternate history you create in the game. Remember when everyone in the world listened to Austrian pop music while wearing Austrian jeans? Or that time that Emperor Trajan of Rome dropped a nuke every major city on the planet than flew off into space never to be seen again? I remember, because I did those things.

All the Civ games, at least since 4 have great opening cinematics that celebrate human history and achievements as a whole. I love them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, showtime said:

The deluxe edition of Battlefield 5 is $9.  $19, but I got a $10 gift card.  That's probably as good as deal as I'm ever going to get on the game.  Might as well.

That's a great deal. I paid $30 for the base version and don't regret it. I haven't played the BR mode yet but the overall game-play and such is fun - only negative is the majority of the maps suck. 

On 4/2/2019 at 12:59 PM, Scalamania said:

That's a great deal. I paid $30 for the base version and don't regret it. I haven't played the BR mode yet but the overall game-play and such is fun - only negative is the majority of the maps suck. 

The maps are so so bad. Also, the balancing in multiplayer is terrible. You either get trounced or you win without hardly having to fire a shot. 

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

Also, the balancing in multiplayer is terrible. You either get trounced or you win without hardly having to fire a shot. 

There's no way to balance this game (or any battlefield game). Rank means absolutely nothing, SPM means absolutely nothing. It's all about one teams play-style vs the other teams - 90% of the time when your team gets trounced it's because 28 out of 32 players are snipers. There's no way to fix that unless that put a class cap on and that would just cause more people to leave. It's been a long going issue in just about every BF game. 

Anyone ever flown w/ a console in a carry on? I'm assuming it's basically like a laptop when going through TSA. Take it out, own separate tub yada yada? I'm going somewhere for work for majority of the week next week, by myself, so I'll probably be bored af and the thought of getting a bottle and playing my PS4 is sounding more and more appealing. Trying to determine if it's worth the hassle. 

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

There's no way to balance this game (or any battlefield game). Rank means absolutely nothing, SPM means absolutely nothing. It's all about one teams play-style vs the other teams - 90% of the time when your team gets trounced it's because 28 out of 32 players are snipers. There's no way to fix that unless that put a class cap on and that would just cause more people to leave. It's been a long going issue in just about every BF game. 

I'm all for a class cap. Its no fun fighting 100 snipers or having 100 snipers on your team. 

38 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Anyone ever flown w/ a console in a carry on? I'm assuming it's basically like a laptop when going through TSA. Take it out, own separate tub yada yada? I'm going somewhere for work for majority of the week next week, by myself, so I'll probably be bored af and the thought of getting a bottle and playing my PS4 is sounding more and more appealing. Trying to determine if it's worth the hassle. 

Yep that's all it is. Any electronics should go in your carry on. Can be difficult but I fly a lot for work and just take it out with my work computer and stuff. 

I randomly found an SNES classic, a real one, on Mercari app for 20 bucks that sat for 4 months bc the pictures were the blurriest **** of all time. So of course she doesn't ship for 3 days so it cancels and then she sent me a message saying she looked them up and I was trying to rip her off, like kinda nasty about it lol. I just gave her the ******* price she had put up, dumb broad.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:51 AM, Spartacus said:

The maps are so so bad. Also, the balancing in multiplayer is terrible. You either get trounced or you win without hardly having to fire a shot. 

I've only been playing Domination.  That's not as bad because the maps are smaller and people tend to play the objective more. 

The battle royale mode is complete garbage.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I've only been playing Domination.  That's not as bad because the maps are smaller and people tend to play the objective more. 

The battle royale mode is complete garbage.

I just played my first BR round, I hate BR, seemed alright I guess? They must have fixed the looting or something, I had zero issues and I thought that's what everyone hated. I hate that I am forced to play it for Tides of War if I want that stuff though, I guess it's usually cheap with CC after though.

What's your complaint with BR specifically, or is this just an EA bad!!!!!!!! thing lol

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

I just played my first BR round, I hate BR, seemed alright I guess? They must have fixed the looting or something, I had zero issues and I thought that's what everyone hated. I hate that I am forced to play it for Tides of War if I want that stuff though, I guess it's usually cheap with CC after though.

What's your complaint with BR specifically, or is this just an EA bad!!!!!!!! thing lol

The game feels choppy and the loot system sucks.  But the biggest issue is, if I want to play a BR game, why would I play this over Apex or Fortnite - Two VASTLY superior games.

23 minutes ago, showtime said:

The game feels choppy and the loot system sucks.  But the biggest issue is, if I want to play a BR game, why would I play this over Apex or Fortnite - Two VASTLY superior games.

yeah true, why play this one. My PC sucks so I guess I'm used to choppiness lol. I don't like the looting but it isn't the nightmare I guess I expected. I literally don't know if I'll play it again or not. Just never been my thing but it seemed "okay" to me as much as anything.

4 hours ago, showtime said:

I think it's more in competition with bo4 blackout which is also my favorite br and this just isn't as good. Just a dud of a game at this point. Go back and actually make a battlefield that people want.