Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

17 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Seems to be the general consensus. I haven't played any of those since the first but I remember I enjoyed.

I tried playing Phantom Pain because it's critically acclaimed but that game was pretty terrible to me. Plot was insane and gameplay was weird, although I never like stealth games. You may want to give that one a rent or something to make sure it's what your remember.

6 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I tried playing Phantom Pain because it's critically acclaimed but that game was pretty terrible to me. Plot was insane and gameplay was weird, although I never like stealth games. You may want to give that one a rent or something to make sure it's what your remember.

What I usually do now is watch people play them on Twitch and see what it's like lol. I've never been burned by that method yet but then again, I've owned my PS4 for like 2.5 years and only played like 6 games. This definitely looks super weird which I'm OK w/ as it looks very story driven. Almost seems like I'll look at it more like a movie than anything but we really don't know a lot about it. I did love that trailer though!!!

IMO. all of the Metal Gear Solid games are pretty average from a purely gameplay perspective.   Its the masterful cinematics and intriguing stories that keep people coming back.    Not that the games arent fun at all....but its definitely not its strongest selling point.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

What I usually do now is watch people play them on Twitch and see what it's like lol. I've never been burned by that method yet but then again, I've owned my PS4 for like 2.5 years and only played like 6 games. This definitely looks super weird which I'm OK w/ as it looks very story driven. Almost seems like I'll look at it more like a movie than anything but we really don't know a lot about it. I did love that trailer though!!!

The only issue with that is the obvious spoilers in a story driven game.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

IMO. all of the Metal Gear Solid games are pretty average from a purely gameplay perspective.   Its the masterful cinematics and intriguing stories that keep people coming back.    Not that the games arent fun at all....but its definitely not its strongest selling point.  

I mostly agree with this for some of the older MGSs, but I actually thought the gameplay was Phantom Pain was great and they made a lot of positive changes.  I loved all the upgrades you could do at your base, for example.  Definitely depends on preference though - I can see why someone wouldn't be a huge fan of how it played, especially if you aren't a big fan of stealth.  The missions could get ridiculously long.

I think Phantom Pain has the opposite problem of the other MGS games.  Fantastic gameplay, but at its best the story was average.  After the intro you barely get any cut-scenes.  I get why they didn't want to go overboard with it like they did in MGS 4, but the story was disappointing. 

EDIT - Also they should have never made it as open world as they did.  LIS, the gameplay was great and the missions were fun as hell, but it was really boring after the fact having to ride your horse through a world without anything it.  And sometimes the gap between one spot and another would be insane.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

The only issue with that is the obvious spoilers in a story driven game.

Correct. I'll watch enough to see if it's something I want and then leave it be. I won't watch them for any more than 1-2 hours and it's usually relatively early in the game as to not give much away. This seems like it's going to be that type of game so I'll probably be extra cautious. I've read it's supposed to be open world which is strange for what I've seen w/ trailers but the whole damn thing looks strange so I'm good w/ that lol. 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:31 AM, bananabucket said:

Not super into platformers but I recently played Hollow Knight and Ori.  They were great.  Any others like these?

So since I said this I have discovered that platformers are actually awesome,  none have touched Hollow Knight / Ori but I've played some more great ones:

- Celeste (thanks @showtime)
- Shovel Knight
- Hue
- Momodoro

Still have to try Rayman Legends and a few others.

Edited by bananabucket

Here are my top 10 since I started gaming "seriously" (so they dont include classics like Zelda or Half-Life):

1. Witcher 3
2. Skyrim
3. Fallout 4
4. Fallout New Vegas
5. Assassins Creed Origins
6. MGSV
7. Hollow Knight
8. Assassins Creed Odyssey
9. Dishonored 2
10. Ori and the Blind Forest 

Others I really liked: Doom, Prey, Metro, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect Andromeda, XCOM 2, Wildlands, Titanfall 2, Kingdom Come, Destiny, Wolfenstein, Far Cry

Didn't really like despite hype: Red Dead, Dark Souls

Missing any must-plays?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Here are my top 10 since I started gaming "seriously" (so they dont include classics like Zelda or Half-Life):

1. Witcher 3
2. Skyrim
3. Fallout 4
4. Fallout New Vegas
6. MGSV
7. Hollow Knight
9. Dishonored 2

Others I really liked: Doom, Prey, Metro, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect Andromeda, XCOM 2, Wildlands, Titanfall 2, Kingdom Come, Destiny, Wolfenstein, Far Cry

Missing any must-plays?

Horizon Zero Dawn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bananabucket said:

1. Witcher 3
2. Skyrim
3. Fallout 4
4. Fallout New Vegas
6. MGSV
7. Hollow Knight
9. Dishonored 2

Missing any must-plays?

If you liked ME Andromeda, I'd recommend going back and playing the original trilogy. Unless you liked Andromeda for its high movement.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 3:31 AM, bananabucket said:

1. Witcher 3
2. Skyrim
3. Fallout 4
4. Fallout New Vegas
6. MGSV
7. Hollow Knight
9. Dishonored 2

Missing any must-plays?

Depends on what consoles you have and how far back you want to go in gaming. I would say that God of War 2018 and Breath of the Wild are worth the cost of their consoles alone.

You should also pick up the Master Chief Collection and play Halo 1-3 if you like shooters at all. Could get through all three in a weekend of heavy gaming but it's a classic for sure.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:31 AM, bananabucket said:

1. Witcher 3
2. Skyrim
3. Fallout 4
4. Fallout New Vegas
6. MGSV
7. Hollow Knight
9. Dishonored 2

Missing any must-plays?

God of War, TLOU & Horizon are all must plays if you're playing on PS4.